Bowl game Uni.... some will need a suicide watch

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
KG calling other people whiny?

Irony, meet my pal KG. KG, meet Irony...

Whaa? I'm not whiny. How can you say I'm whiny? I don't whine about anyth.... ah, I hear it now. :unsure:

I went ahead and told my kids if I ever reach the point in life that I'm complaining about what color kids wear to play a game they are authorized to pull the plug.

But, b-b-but .. tradition, and such.

Kidding, I appreciate tradition. And, furthermore, I'd love for us to have 1 set of uniforms a la the Bamas and PennSts of the world. But that shopped sailed decades ago.

And navy jerseys in a couple games do not destroy tradition so ....

That is correct. I don't like it, but I can deal with it. But to wear all blue uniforms on a national stage in a bowl game DOES destroy tradition.

The InstAtute

Georgia Tech Fan

We are going to see some changes around The Flats. SWAG, DJs, Innovative drills, Juice, etc..... The message (Education and Great Footballl) will be the same but the method will be different. Collins will make us relevant with the next generation of players and fans. Temple had 10 different uniform combinations worn this year in 12 games. I would expect the same for future Tech seasons. If we were wearing White for the Bowl game, no one would be posting our uniform decision on Social media (or bitching on this forum). The Blue uniforms are creating a talking point which helps us with SWAG.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's not a complaint about what color kids wear, it's a complaint that somebody at Tech obviously doesn't give a damn about TRADITION.

Having listened to the town halls & had direct conversations, I'll tell you right now that tradition is well appreciated and provides a foundation, but a movement towards change with a look to who is the future of our potential student athletes & donor base is developing & being prioritized.

Please be mindful of the subtext of your accusation about who doesn't give a damn about tradition because you'll be entirely wrong.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That may be considered a "bad@ss" uniform by some, but it is NOT GEORGIA TECH, NEVER HAS BEEN, NEVER WILL BE.

An Auburn fan told me at church this morning that some Auburn players wanted to do something non-traditional with the uniforms, and they were flatly told NO; the players don't get to define or defy tradition. Despite random use through the years of blue for jerseys, and, more recently, trim and numerals (black until the late 80s), Tech is and always has been WHITE AND GOLD. PERIOD. You don't eff with tradition, no matter how bad@ss some may think it looks. In my opinion, this uniform SUX big ones.
Sure you do. That's how new traditions are started. Buzz wasn't a tradition until the 80"s. The Ramblin' Wreck wasn't a tradition until the 60's. If the traditionalists back then tried to squash every attempt to introduce something new, we wouldn't have what you call traditions. You may not like it, and you don't have to get on board with it, but Blue is here to stay for the foreseeable future, so just wear your gold and be happy. Encourage your friends to wear gold. Encourage us to wear gold. But stop belly-aching and chiding us about wearing blue; we like it, and your harassment isn't going to change that.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sure you do. That's how new traditions are started. Buzz wasn't a tradition until the 80"s. The Ramblin' Wreck wasn't a tradition until the 60's. If the traditionalists back then tried to squash every attempt to introduce something new, we wouldn't have what you call traditions. You may not like it, and you don't have to get on board with it, but Blue is here to stay for the foreseeable future, so just wear your gold and be happy. Encourage your friends to wear gold. Encourage us to wear gold. But stop belly-aching and chiding us about wearing blue; we like it, and your harassment isn't going to change that.

Very interesting. I never bothered to look up when Buzz and the wreck became GT traditions.

I suspect, like navy blue, these were 'new' things that folks in the fanbase figured were gimmicky at the time and did not reflect what their vision of GT was.

@Supersizethatorder-mutt is one of my favorite posters but I'm gonna be mad if, given this data on Buzz/wreck, he doesn't now rail against these as well as the use of navy blue.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That is correct. I don't like it, but I can deal with it. But to wear all blue uniforms on a national stage in a bowl game DOES destroy tradition.

I’ve got great news for you then! The Quick Lane Bowl will probably have lower viewership than many of our regular season games!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In the immortal words of Ric Flair.
“Whether you like it, or you don't like it, learn to love it! It's the best thing going today!”

giphy.gif

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
Very interesting. I never bothered to look up when Buzz and the wreck became GT traditions.

I suspect, like navy blue, these were 'new' things that folks in the fanbase figured were gimmicky at the time and did not reflect what their vision of GT was.

@Supersizethatorder-mutt is one of my favorite posters but I'm gonna be mad if, given this data on Buzz/wreck, he doesn't now rail against these as well as the use of navy blue.

https://www.gatech.edu/about/history-traditions

Wait, here we are fighting about traditional colors when we should really be mad that girls get to attend now. For 60+ years Tech was for men brave and bold. Now we are all concerned with shades of gold which is a direct result of letting ladies attend our great institute.

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
https://www.gatech.edu/about/history-traditions

Wait, here we are fighting about traditional colors when we should really be mad that girls get to attend now. For 60+ years Tech was for men brave and bold. Now we are all concerned with shades of gold which is a direct result of letting ladies attend our great institute.
I would buy it except none of the ladies are the ones arguing. ;)

I was there when both the 'Reck and Buzz were introduced. They were both overnight hits, and I heard of no complaints whatsoever about either. Nor did I have any of my own. The fact is, however, that both of those were additions or supplements to existing tradition, although the design of Buzz obviously differed from the Yellow Jacket used till the early 60s and, in the opinion of most, was an improvement. Blue uniforms is NOT an ADDITION; it is a total change. Blue tops have been worn off and on dating at least back to the 30s, but blue pants were never worn until this year, at least as far as I have been able to determine, and all blue uniforms have definitely never been used before, and should not be used now.

I’ve got great news for you then! The Quick Lane Bowl will probably have lower viewership than many of our regular season games!
I'm sure you are right, and it will probably even have lower attendance as well, but that is still not the stage for introducing some ugly @ss uniform that flies in the face of tradition, simply because "the players like it."

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I’m confused to what “Tradition” Georgia Tech Uniforms have? I’ve only been watching since 2007 and we haven’t had the same jerseys back to back years but only twice I think. We’ve worn White, Blue, Black, and Gold Jerseys. I don’t get the argument, our uniform brand isn’t as strong as many of you think. Most won’t like this, but most People think of GT they think of the Honeycomb helmets. Might be a tough pill for yall to swallow but we aren’t with the Notre Dames, Bamas, And Penn States of the world. And for the ones that think the players opinions don’t matter that is down right sad, and almost sickening that someone could have that attitude towards the guys that put so much more into this then any of us (except a few) have.

Animal02

Banned
I was there when both the 'Reck and Buzz were introduced. They were both overnight hits, and I heard of no complaints whatsoever about either. Nor did I have any of my own. The fact is, however, that both of those were additions or supplements to existing tradition, although the design of Buzz obviously differed from the Yellow Jacket used till the early 60s and, in the opinion of most, was an improvement. Blue uniforms is NOT an ADDITION; it is a total change. Blue tops have been worn off and on dating at least back to the 30s, but blue pants were never worn until this year, at least as far as I have been able to determine, and all blue uniforms have definitely never been used before, and should not be used now.
Weren't you there when Grant Field was donated as well?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Okay...make that & beers (n)

I’m confused to what “Tradition” Georgia Tech Uniforms have? I’ve only been watching since 2007 and we haven’t had the same jerseys back to back years but only twice I think. We’ve worn White, Blue, Black, and Gold Jerseys. I don’t get the argument, our uniform brand isn’t as strong as many of you think. Most won’t like this, but most People think of GT they think of the Honeycomb helmets. Might be a tough pill for yall to swallow but we aren’t with the Notre Dames, Bamas, And Penn States of the world. And for the ones that think the players opinions don’t matter that is down right sad, and almost sickening that someone could have that attitude towards the guys that put so much more into this then any of us (except a few) have.
If you have only been watching since 2007, you have not seen black jerseys. We only wore them for a few games during the Curry years way back in the early 80s. I can't remember if we have worn gold jerseys any since 2007 or not, but I'm pretty sure we have not worn them under Johnson and, until this year, only worn blue jerseys once, the 2014 Orange Bowl game. On the contrary, our uniform brand is actually stronger than you and a few others on this board think. Perhaps it is not quite as strong as it was in the 50s, and perhaps you are also forgetting that Tech was among the Notre Dames, Bamas, and Penn States as recently as the 70s. plus the early t0 mid 90s. You do realize, I trust, that a reference to Tech is prominently featured in the Bama fight song? That was because Tech was their most hated rival, even more so than Auburn. Until we stopped playing them, we were just a few games (5 maybe) short of being even with them in the series, and we had a much better record against them than the mutts. But Tech has ALWAYS PROUDLY been the White and Gold; it's in both of our fight songs, and many, but not all, announcers still refer to Tech as the White and Gold, in addition to the 'Ramblin' Wrecks, and the Yellow Jackets. It is only since 2014 that Navy blue has somehow undeservedly crept back into play with Tech, aside from the losing period in the late 80s and early 90s, when the NCAA mandated that home teams wear dark jerseys, and Tech chose blue over black. Tech is definitely not currently in the league with Bama, but we still are with ND, and I think we would be with Penn State too, if we played them.