@Boston College, Baseball

How many games will GT win versus @BC? (Assume 3 games played)

Votes: 4 13.3%

Votes: 17 56.7%

Votes: 8 26.7%

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Our starter cost us this game, middle pitching was good, but now game is getting out of hand. Another 1-3 week. Unless things change in a hurry we will not even make it to a regional.
You're absolutely right, and 1-3 won't get us there. But from a record standpoint, the weekend series went as expected. On the road against a top-15 team, and we were in it for 23/27 innings. We just ran out of pitching depth. If Compton doesn't get hurt I think we win the series.

We need to get it together on the mid-weeks, and hold serve in our home series. But this season is far from over. I'm excited about the development of the young arms, there just aren't enough of them.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Kind of let go of the rope there at the end. So, every (ACC) series we have been blown out in one game. In the non-blow out games we are 6-2, which is quite amazing given the obvious weaknesses we have.

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
Six straight pitchers that were all absolutely inept - that even outdoes last year‘s worst fiascos. Most pitchers get better as season progresses - ours all get worse.
Our top 11 pitchers, per ERA rank in the mid of the ACC. Same for our fielding. We can say that’s good, but not great. Our hitting is #2, which is great. Overall BCC pitching is 10 in the ACC. Good but not great. Outside of innings 7-9 game 3, our pitching was the highlight of this series. Sometimes good beats great. That’s baseball. But to make a deep run, we need to be great in all 3 categories.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Our top 11 pitchers, per ERA rank in the mid of the ACC. Same for our fielding. We can say that’s good, but not great. Our hitting is #2, which is great. Overall BCC pitching is 10 in the ACC. Good but not great. Outside of innings 7-9 game 3, our pitching was the highlight of this series. Sometimes good beats great. That’s baseball. But to make a deep run, we need to be great in all 3 categories.
Indeed - giving up 24 runs only means we don't have enough pitching depth for three b2b games and will obviously kill our team ERA stat. But the primary reason we lost this series was our lack of timely hitting on Saturday. Actually our pitching on Fri and Sat showed significant improvement and a continuing positive trend line for many of our pitchers. Clearly we have a handful of pitchers not ready for this level yet. If we can find one or two more effective pitchers (or some of the improved ones extending to more innings) this whole season could flip from sub .500 ACC play to over .500 by the time it all wraps up.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Indeed - giving up 24 runs only means we don't have enough pitching depth for three b2b games and will obviously kill our team ERA stat. But the primary reason we lost this series was our lack of timely hitting on Saturday. Actually our pitching on Fri and Sat showed significant improvement and a continuing positive trend line for many of our pitchers. Clearly we have a handful of pitchers not ready for this level yet. If we can find one or two more effective pitchers (or some of the improved ones extending to more innings) this whole season could flip from sub .500 ACC play to over .500 by the time it all wraps up.
I just want McGuire to come back. I know that it'll take him some time to get up to speed, but he can do that as the midweek starter which I think would solidify our whole pitching rotation.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I just want McGuire to come back. I know that it'll take him some time to get up to speed, but he can do that as the midweek starter which I think would solidify our whole pitching rotation.
I am looking forward to getting him back to see what he can do. However, wondering why you believe he will have any more success than finiteri or Carwile? All three of them had similar stats last year, with the exception that McGuire gave up a lot less walks. Is that what you are hanging your hat on, or are their other factors?

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Over the last 4 Sundays, we have given up 64 runs!
That is bonkers. Now, this weekend is Thurs-Fri-Sat, so maybe we avoid the Sunday Curse?

(But technically the ND game was game 2 of a double header on Saturday, so maybe it isn't the day of the week that is the problem after all...)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I am looking forward to getting him back to see what he can do. However, wondering why you believe he will have any more success than finiteri or Carwile? All three of them had similar stats last year, with the exception that McGuire gave up a lot less walks. Is that what you are hanging your hat on, or are their other factors?
That's it. He has so much better control and I love the way he attacks hitters. He's going to give up hits and homers but he'll limit the damage. I think he's going to be the ace next year, as long as he's healthy of course.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Over the last 4 Sundays, we have given up 64 runs!
We’ve only scored 24 the last 4 Sundays (ND Sat) which is 44 runs minimum shy of what we needed to win all those games.

Guess we need to score more. 11 more per game and we turn those 4 losses into 4 wins. We’re 10-2 in ACC and the top dog penciling in a Super Regional host.