@Boston College, Baseball

How many games will GT win versus @BC? (Assume 3 games played)

Votes: 4 13.3%

Votes: 17 56.7%

Votes: 8 26.7%

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
3 ACC Series down and 7 to go. @BC next and #14 this week after winning their first 3 series over @VT, @FSU & NC State. 2-1 in each series so I figure that's what we'll do.

In the ACC we'll need to go into the last @UVa series 3 above 500 or be in serious trouble. Our OOC isn't good (duh) as we've beaten very weak teams and lost mostly to non-weak teams. If we win this series and go 2 over 500, that would be absolutely fabulous. Even though we'd tread water for RPI this week with a 2-2 record and loss to Georgia State on a neutral RPI site.

Anyway to BC. They are obviously very well coached and balanced. They shouldn't be doing as well as they are with #12 batting, #9 pitching and #6 fielding in the ACC. (We are #2, #13, #7) https://theacc.com/stats.aspx?path=baseball&year=2023

They are old and just know how to win. They have played a very tough schedule @18 SoS. Details at https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2023/schedule/Boston-College

Games 4PM, 4PM,1PM. Gonna be colder all weekend and rainy Friday and Saturday. So we'll see how many and when the games are played. I'd guess DH on Saturday after rain and one Sunday in the cold. https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ma/boston

1680130358051.png

1680130585689.png

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to have to think long and hard on this one. My pre ACC season projection was 2-1, I believe. I can't find the spreadsheet I used to come up with my 15-15 overall record, but believe it included 2-1 at home vs ND, 0-3 at Louisville, and 2-1 at home against Clemson. I think it was 2-1 this weekend against BC, but still mulling it over.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks Nuke....I don't see them getting all three games in this weekend. I'm guessing one Friday and then one on Sunday. Maybe try to play two on Friday? I'm just glad I don't have to sit through the weather!

ETA: I went 2 out of three for us, based totally on just a gut feel.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Bourbon told me to trust your heart, but reminded me to look at past experience. Would like and expect 2/3, but I only see 1 with our experience in colder situations on the road. I hope I'm wrong.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm going to have to think long and hard on this one. My pre ACC season projection was 2-1, I believe. I can't find the spreadsheet I used to come up with my 15-15 overall record, but believe it included 2-1 at home vs ND, 0-3 at Louisville, and 2-1 at home against Clemson. I think it was 2-1 this weekend against BC, but still mulling it over.

John Maynard Keyes:
"When events change, I change my mind. What do you do?
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?
When someone persuades me that I am wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?"

BC has been on fire like ND last year. Doesn't make sense, but IIWII.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we win at least one game as BC has been absolutely blown out in one game in each ACC series they have played. Very similar to us in that regard. So if we assume we get blown out in one game over the weekend as usual then hopefully we can muster enough offense to win the rubber game. Maybe the biggest difference between our teams is the fact two of their three weekend starters are grad students and depending on who they decide on this weekend the third guy could be a junior.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
It's funny how people on here think BC is on fire this year while we are a dumpster fire. Yet there is a grand total of 1 whole game separating us from them in the ACC standings. They are 6-3 while we are 5-4. Which, by the way, is exactly the same record as Notre Dame last year after 9 league games. Baseball is a funny game. We could walk away from BC after this weekend 8-4 and the whole perspective changes. Of course we could walk away 5-7 but that's why we play the games.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's funny how people on here think BC is on fire this year while we are a dumpster fire. Yet there is a grand total of 1 whole game separating us from them in the ACC standings. They are 6-3 while we are 5-4. Which, by the way, is exactly the same record as Notre Dame last year after 9 league games. Baseball is a funny game. We could walk away from BC after this weekend 8-4 and the whole perspective changes. Of course we could walk away 5-7 but that's why we play the games.

I think BC is on fire because they have played better teams and beaten them more than we have. The have a great resume and no bad marks except for opening day against Pepperdine:
  • Won every ACC series including two away - @VT & @ FSU. It is tough to win away.
  • Won Swing & Swine Classic (no I don't know what it is but cool name)
  • W @ #8 Tenn
  • W@ #20 Conn on Tuesday.
Yes they have gotten blown out in ACC twice on Friday and once on Saturday. Don't know if it was the same pitcher.

If we win this series @BC, that will be our best series to date this year. Hope it happens.

1680176428474.png

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I noticed that Schmolke is getting moved up to be the Friday starter. No news about the rest of the weekend's rotation.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Looks like when Brown got pulled unexpectedly it was more than a precaution for that game only.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like when Brown got pulled unexpectedly it was more than a precaution for that game only.
I think you're right. I'd say it could just be Hall/Borrell mixing things up for results, but if that were the case we wouldn't have aTBD on Sunday...

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Boston College is the surprise ACC baseball team so far this season. The Eagles have lots of good experience, with several graduate students and seniors playing important roles in their recent surge.

In my view, and realistically speaking, I believe our Jackets would do well to win one out of three in this series, especially on their home field.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
In my mind, this seems like it is a “make or break” weekend for us. The following is how my mind would process various possible results:

Drop 3 and we sink to 5-7 in conference. Would cement in my mind that we are just average this year and give me basis for confirming my lowered expectations.

1-2 and we go to 6-6 in conference. This is treading water and we would be through 40% of the conference schedule. Although we have seen signs of improvement in fits and spurts, would still tend to support my confirmation bias that I shouldn’t expect enough improvement to make the tournament this year.

2-1 and we move to 7-5 in conference. “Hey, we got this thing heading in the right direction!” Openly Cautiously optimistic. Secretly even more optimistic.

3-0 and we move to 8-4 in the conference. “College World Series here we come!” Look out Charlie Brown.

I am a fickle fan when it comes to expectations. I have tempered expectations based on 6 weeks of watching the team play, but all it would take is one really good weekend to shoot my expectations right back up.

What i do know is win or lose, I enjoy following our team’s journey & watching or listening to our guys play. In the end analysis, I am probably way to much emotionally invested in GT baseball for my own good.

Go jackets!

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
In my mind, this seems like it is a “make or break” weekend for us. The following is how my mind would process various possible results:

Drop 3 and we sink to 5-7 in conference. Would cement in my mind that we are just average this year and give me basis for confirming my lowered expectations.

1-2 and we go to 6-6 in conference. This is treading water and we would be through 40% of the conference schedule. Although we have seen signs of improvement in fits and spurts, would still tend to support my confirmation bias that I shouldn’t expect enough improvement to make the tournament this year.

2-1 and we move to 7-5 in conference. “Hey, we got this thing heading in the right direction!” Openly Cautiously optimistic. Secretly even more optimistic.

3-0 and we move to 8-4 in the conference. “College World Series here we come!” Look out Charlie Brown.

I am a fickle fan when it comes to expectations. I have tempered expectations based on 6 weeks of watching the team play, but all it would take is one really good weekend to shoot my expectations right back up.

What i do know is win or lose, I enjoy following our team’s journey & watching or listening to our guys play. In the end analysis, I am probably way to much emotionally invested in GT baseball for my own good.

Go jackets!
1-2 on the road against a good team, if the loses are close, still keeps me optimistic.

Finishing above .500 in conference play (and ostensibly making the tournament) means holding serve at home, winning each series 2-1, and avoiding the sweep on the road. We'd then need to steal a few - maybe a sweep or two at home, and win a series or two on the road.

If I'm looking at where we steal a road series, there are probably better opportunities than @BC.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
The weather for tomorrow is looking a little better. The rain may be done tomorrow by early afternoon, allowing for a late afternoon start assuming that BC's field drains decently. I'm now cautiously optimistic that we'll be able to get all three games in.