@Boston College, Baseball

How many games will GT win versus @BC? (Assume 3 games played)

Votes: 4 13.3%

Votes: 17 56.7%

Votes: 8 26.7%

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
In my mind, this seems like it is a “make or break” weekend for us. The following is how my mind would process various possible results:

Drop 3 and we sink to 5-7 in conference. Would cement in my mind that we are just average this year and give me basis for confirming my lowered expectations.

1-2 and we go to 6-6 in conference. This is treading water and we would be through 40% of the conference schedule. Although we have seen signs of improvement in fits and spurts, would still tend to support my confirmation bias that I shouldn’t expect enough improvement to make the tournament this year.

2-1 and we move to 7-5 in conference. “Hey, we got this thing heading in the right direction!” Openly Cautiously optimistic. Secretly even more optimistic.

3-0 and we move to 8-4 in the conference. “College World Series here we come!” Look out Charlie Brown.

I am a fickle fan when it comes to expectations. I have tempered expectations based on 6 weeks of watching the team play, but all it would take is one really good weekend to shoot my expectations right back up.

What i do know is win or lose, I enjoy following our team’s journey & watching or listening to our guys play. In the end analysis, I am probably way to much emotionally invested in GT baseball for my own good.

Go jackets!
😁

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
With Easter, next weekend's series starts on Thursday. With Schmolke pitching like this I would like to see him stay in the series opening role. Have Finley move up to pitch the 2nd game. Not sure who we will go with this Sunday, though I know who I don't want starting. Maybe a staff day. AlthoughI'd like to see Samol get a shot at either the start or a couple innings. I like the way he has improved of late. Depending on who gets innings tomorrow maybe give Carwile or Finateri shot on Sunday as well.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot to like about this win.

Up early... managed to hold opponent to fewer than the number we scored in 1st 3 innings.

Scored all 5 runs with 2 out.

Had some stellar defensive plays (if Wiley's commentary is accurate.. I had no eyeballs on it)

It's a game of inches... good to have the most inches this go-round.
I was able to watch the whole game and for me these three things stood out:
1. Solid defense - a few great plays and no errors or bobbles.
2. Clutch 2 out 2 strike hitting early to take out their #1 starter.
3. Diamant coming in the bottom of the 8th and striking out the only two batters he faced stranding the tying run on third. Not only did he save us the tying run but it allowed us to only have to use Busse for the 9th saving his arm for the rest of the weekend.

I was surprised to see Hill come out to start the 8th. I guess it was because two of the three hitters coming up were lefties. This tells me they have lost faith in Mannelly who would have normally been used for the lefties. Hopefully he gets another shot this weekend to improve his confidence and that of the coaches.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was able to watch the whole game and for me these three things stood out:
1. Solid defense - a few great plays and no errors or bobbles.
2. Clutch 2 out 2 strike hitting early to take out their #1 starter.
3. Diamant coming in the bottom of the 8th and striking out the only two batters he faced stranding the tying run on third. Not only did he save us the tying run but it allowed us to only have to use Busse for the 9th saving his arm for the rest of the weekend.

I was surprised to see Hill come out to start the 8th. I guess it was because two of the three hitters coming up were lefties. This tells me they have lost faith in Mannelly who would have normally been used for the lefties. Hopefully he gets another shot this weekend to improve his confidence and that of the coaches.
Thank you. I wish I could have "seen" it.

Hall is a big fan of those L/L or R/R pitching matchups. We've probably reached "who is go-to lefty" out of pen situation here right now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great way to start the weekend. Well played, no errors, 1 DP and RISP hitting above BA. Nice to win a close one.

BC is very good. They had 5 consecutive batters work a 3-2 count at one point and didn't make any errors either. They let other teams beat themselves is my impression.

Did Hall make the trip? Pulling Schmolke after two lead off walks B6 on a 1-0 count was nice to see. Schmolke did really well and was above 60% strikes till the 6th.

What'll happen tomorrow? Who knows. Georgia State and we scored 22 runs in 9 innings to score 1 run in the next 5. There is no way to know tomorrow. But winning Friday lets us play with house money @BC.

1680304768729.png

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
A lot to like about this win.

Up early... managed to hold opponent to fewer than the number we scored in 1st 3 innings.

Scored all 5 runs with 2 out.

Had some stellar defensive plays (if Wiley's commentary is accurate.. I had no eyeballs on it)

It's a game of inches... good to have the most inches this go-round.
If you do twitting, they attach highlights under GT baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Going to be a raw day in Boston on Saturday. May not get the game in

This morning, weather looks nice for Boston this time of year. 60's and overcast but no rain accumulation projected. Very windy. Tomorrow will be raw in the 40's and lots of wind. I've done the Boston Marathon which is two weeks away and this time of year can really suck up there. Start early and do a DH today!

1680349759267.png