Bobinski on current state of the Football Program

Animal02

Banned
I could see the four hours spent on how do we get certain players into Tech. I think for whatever reason, Tech has handcuffed a lot of Tech coaches over the years. We loosened O'Leary and he beat the dwags, We loosened CCG and he signed the great class of '07, we just need to loosen all restraints on recruiting to a certain extent.

Either loosen things or spend the money to recruit nationally. I think there would be a certain appeal to some kids from the B10 area etc. to play where it is warm and in a big city environment instead of the cornfields.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
animal02: O"Leary never beat the dawgs (0-4) without Friegden. He had an 18-20 record without Friegden. His success was mostly Friegden, not the loosened restrictions on studies at Tesh. His record at UCF is very good, but that was not Tech.

LibertyTurns

Banned
His record at UCF is very good, but that was not Tech.
O'Leary's record at UCF is 72-56. He's had 6 winning seasons and 4 losing seasons. Not sure I'd classify that record as very good. Guess I'd chalk it up to very good for a non-GT team people want to compare us to, but head coach firing worthy for GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
O'Leary's record at UCF is 72-56. He's had 6 winning seasons and 4 losing seasons. Not sure I'd classify that record as very good. Guess I'd chalk it up to very good for a non-GT team people want to compare us to, but head coach firing worthy for GT.

That's misleading. It's not like O'Leary walked into UCF and picked up the baton of a winning program. He built that program up from the abyss, much like he picked up GT from the Bill Lewis mess. Almost half of those losses came within his first 3 years there. Every conference and divisional championship UCF has ever won was under GOL's watch.

UCF doesn't have nearly the same challenges of GT, but let's not diminish what GOL did there.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

46-20 over the last 5 years with one losing season and 3 10+win seasons. It wasn't the toughest schedule but still not bad.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
46-20 over the last 5 years with one losing season and 3 10+win seasons. It wasn't the toughest schedule but still not bad.

Not to mention a Fiesta Bowl victory against Baylor...the "it" team/offense/coach in college football right now.

I would take that at GT.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not to mention a Fiesta Bowl victory against Baylor...the "it" team/offense/coach in college football right now.

I would take that at GT.

Well, I think CPJ is a better coach for GT today. I think with Roof he has a DC who can get things done to bring that side of the ball up to where our offense has been.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, I think CPJ is a better coach for GT today. I think with Roof he has a DC who can get things done to bring that side of the ball up to where our offense has been.

CPJ has been far from a bad coach...just like Chan Gailey was far from a bad coach. If Roof had been here a few years sooner CPJ is probably looking at a contract extension right now instead of fans wanting to buy him out. Of course, we can say if Gailey had recruited a QB a few years earlier he probably would have been the coach in 2008. That's the thing about talking about stuff like this, lots of "woulda" "coulda" in it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has been far from a bad coach...just like Chan Gailey was far from a bad coach. If Roof had been here a few years sooner CPJ is probably looking at a contract extension right now instead of fans wanting to buy him out. Of course, we can say if Gailey had recruited a QB a few years earlier he probably would have been the coach in 2008. That's the thing about talking about stuff like this, lots of "woulda" "coulda" in it.

I'm not going to rehash this debate. I disagree with that comparison, and I don't think the number of fans who want to buy-out CPJ is anywhere close to where the fanbase was with Chan.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not going to rehash this debate. I disagree with that comparison, and I don't think the number of fans who want to buy-out CPJ is anywhere close to where the fanbase was with Chan.

Huh? I wasn't re-hashing any debate. I was actually defending both coaches...buy hey, if that's how you feel about it.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Funny, this EXACT IV/conversation could have been used as a story piece LAST yr after the uga game- "its not who we are" "we've got to do better" "we are always changing/evolving to give our athletes the best chance to succeed(not win,succeed) "

nice to know they had a 4 hr talk-I wonder who did most of the talking?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I could see the four hours spent on how do we get certain players into Tech. I think for whatever reason, Tech has handcuffed a lot of Tech coaches over the years. We loosened O'Leary and he beat the dwags, We loosened CCG and he signed the great class of '07, we just need to loosen all restraints on recruiting to a certain extent.
Four hours is long time to talk about anything ....but I sure hope it is productive.I just have a feeling something is going to be different next year.we will see.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Four hours is long time to talk about anything ....but I sure hope it is productive.I just have a feeling something is going to be different next year.we will see.

Let's see, Mack. Known 4 hour meeting with AD and HC before the bowl game. After bowl game, "rumors" of an unhappy HC with the administration. Hmm...maybe I'm reading too much into it...

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Let's see, Mack. Known 4 hour meeting with AD and HC before the bowl game. After bowl game, "rumors" of an unhappy HC with the administration. Hmm...maybe I'm reading too much into it...
Well I feel same way but cant figure out what is going on.PJ not happy? We will find out soon.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
animal02: O"Leary never beat the dawgs (0-4) without Friegden. He had an 18-20 record without Friegden. His success was mostly Friegden, not the loosened restrictions on studies at Tesh. His record at UCF is very good, but that was not Tech.

O'Leary beat UGA in a bowl game 2 years ago... without Friedgen. He also won his conference, beat Louisville, won a BCS bowl this year, and finished ranked in the top 15 this year without Friedgen. That theory has been disproved for a few years now.

Animal02

Banned

UCF has only been a D1 team since 1996, GOL has been there since 2004. The previous two coaches (not including the interim) had similiar winning percentages. What UCF has done is started as a D3 school and gradually moved itself up will remaining competitive, first through stepping up its divisional play, and then in its conference alignments.

UCF is also the second largest university in the country and offers something like 180 degrees. Also this little tidbit from Wiki....(not that I trust wiki all the time but I found this interesting)...About 8% of tuition fees are allocated to support the university's athletic programs

There is no valid comparison between Tech and UCF whatsoever.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
O'Leary was / is an outstanding coach. Although I have liked both Gailey and Johnson, the best case scenario for TECH would have been for O'Leary to have been a nerd instead of Irish. He left. There is nothing we can or could have done about it. Bringing him back now would be a mistake in my opinion. The guy is getting up there in age. We need stability going forward.