Bobinski on current state of the Football Program

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
O'Leary was / is an outstanding coach. Although I have liked both Gailey and Johnson, the best case scenario for TECH would have been for O'Leary to have been a nerd instead of Irish. He left. There is nothing we can or could have done about it. Bringing him back now would be a mistake in my opinion. The guy is getting up there in age. We need stability going forward.
I agree. As much as I like O'Leary his age would be an issue at this point however someone out of the Ross/O'Leary coaching tree or someone who played for them who is now coaching would be something to strongly consider.

Animal02

Banned
O'Leary was / is an outstanding coach. Although I have liked both Gailey and Johnson, the best case scenario for TECH would have been for O'Leary to have been a nerd instead of Irish. He left. There is nothing we can or could have done about it. Bringing him back now would be a mistake in my opinion. The guy is getting up there in age. We need stability going forward.

I agree that would have been the ideal.....having a coach for 20+ years would have been great stability for the program.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has been far from a bad coach...just like Chan Gailey was far from a bad coach. If Roof had been here a few years sooner CPJ is probably looking at a contract extension right now instead of fans wanting to buy him out. Of course, we can say if Gailey had recruited a QB a few years earlier he probably would have been the coach in 2008. That's the thing about talking about stuff like this, lots of "woulda" "coulda" in it.
You are right about Chan and his lack of qb........if he has one with the talent he had he would have been set for a long time at tech.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Reply to nodawgs: My post was not a theory, it was fact and cannot be disproved. O'Leary was 0-4 against UGA without Friegden and 3-1 against UGA with Friegden. O'leary had an 18-20 record in his tenure without Friegden. The record for O'Leary with Friegden was 33-14. The record at UCF has nothing to do with the facts of O'Leary's record at Tech with and without Friegden. Those records at Tech are a fact and nothing can change it.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
UCF has only been a D1 team since 1996, GOL has been there since 2004. The previous two coaches (not including the interim) had similiar winning percentages. What UCF has done is started as a D3 school and gradually moved itself up will remaining competitive, first through stepping up its divisional play, and then in its conference alignments.

UCF is also the second largest university in the country and offers something like 180 degrees. Also this little tidbit from Wiki....(not that I trust wiki all the time but I found this interesting)...About 8% of tuition fees are allocated to support the university's athletic programs

There is no valid comparison between Tech and UCF whatsoever.

the US News/World Report college info had UCF as one of the easiest schools in country to get into(lowest avg SAT/act)

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I agree. As much as I like O'Leary his age would be an issue at this point however someone out of the Ross/O'Leary coaching tree or someone who played for them who is now coaching would be something to strongly consider.
Folks GOL aint coming back to tech.........look he can win seven and folks think he can walk on water.He has a home on Lake Oconee and is sixty plus years old.He has gotten a new stadium and his legacy at CF is safe.He will stay there until he retires and then Ralph and Him can talk football while fishing.Now after saying this the Ross ,GOL and Ralphie attitude we had would be nice to see again at the flats.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Either loosen things or spend the money to recruit nationally. I think there would be a certain appeal to some kids from the B10 area etc. to play where it is warm and in a big city environment instead of the cornfields.
I think that's already happening...

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think that's already happening...
Hope you are right...seems to me a kid with a indication of wanting a good education would like the Atlanta area since jobs should be plentiful here for good educated folks.Of course you have to get in first and you ,as a recruiter ,will have to go to cold weather places where you should find folks who want to warm up.When I look at the guys who we signed this year its clear we need more guys to stockpile players and if we cant find them here in the South then.......lets go to the cold tundra.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Hope you are right...seems to me a kid with a indication of wanting a good education would like the Atlanta area since jobs should be plentiful here for good educated folks.Of course you have to get in first and you ,as a recruiter ,will have to go to cold weather places where you should find folks who want to warm up.When I look at the guys who we signed this year its clear we need more guys to stockpile players and if we cant find them here in the South then.......lets go to the cold tundra.

I remember reading about this change in recruiting strategy early last year. GA education stinks and GT's brand is far better up north.
However, looking at our current commitments, it seems we're still heavily recruiting GA, FL and AL. We've got a couple guys from Penn and DC but overall I think we could do better. I think at least 1 more recruiting hire dedicated to northern states could help out.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Folks GOL aint coming back to tech.........look he can win seven and folks think he can walk on water.He has a home on Lake Oconee and is sixty plus years old.He has gotten a new stadium and his legacy at CF is safe.He will stay there until he retires and then Ralph and Him can talk football while fishing.Now after saying this the Ross ,GOL and Ralphie attitude we had would be nice to see again at the flats.

Just looked at Ross's coaching career. Didn't realize he coached Army. He must have gotten beat at least 3 times in a row by PJ.

Animal02

Banned
I remember reading about this change in recruiting strategy early last year. GA education stinks and GT's brand is far better up north.
However, looking at our current commitments, it seems we're still heavily recruiting GA, FL and AL. We've got a couple guys from Penn and DC but overall I think we could do better. I think at least 1 more recruiting hire dedicated to northern states could help out.

I grew up in western Pa. the entire county had a population of 120k (and still does) the town had one traffic light and 1,600 people. I loved the idea of moving 1) Where it was warm and 2) a big city.(Even though I was not recruited at Tech to play......I was low end D1, high D2 potential)

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Just looked at Ross's coaching career. Didn't realize he coached Army. He must have gotten beat at least 3 times in a row by PJ.
Yep last job he had was at army............they still have not figured out how to beat Navy .