Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I actually love the idea of GT v UGA on Labor Day. GT v Tennessee was one of the most watched games of the year. I think it would get high viewership because it has little competition. As it stands now, it isn’t much of a rivalry and we’re competing against lots of others for eyeballs in late Nov.
And we stand a chance of half their starters serving a suspension. Isn’t that what the Old Ball Coach always appreciated about playing them early?

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If you put the game in the first weekend but still get run off the field it just means more eyeballs getting a bad impression. Don’t make that change unless you’ve already improved the competitiveness.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If you put the game in the first weekend but still get run off the field it just means more eyeballs getting a bad impression. Don’t make that change unless you’ve already improved the competitiveness.
Not necessarily. In 1979, 1980, 1981 and 1982 - Tech opened against Alabama, ranked No. 2, No. 2, No. 2 and No. 4, respectfully. The 1981 victory remains one of two of the finest games I have ever seen Tech play and was a major morale boost. The team prepared for it for four months. Our teams today are better than those teams. Those schedules (and a few iconic games) lead to some really good recruiting; e.g.. Robert Lavette.

Schlandy

Georgia Tech Fan
As I recall, GT wanted games there because of demand for premium suites which BDS does not have enough. I think we netted $1M a game in additional revenue. BDS sorely needs more premium seats so perhaps that is in the works.

As I recall, GT wanted games there because of demand for premium suites which BDS does not have enough. I think we netted $1M a game in additional revenue. BDS sorely needs more premium seats so perhaps that is in the works.
It’ll be interesting to see what else they have planned for BDS, like what’s this stuff in the most recent campus plan
IMG_0874.jpeg

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
Your kidding right? BDS is one of the few stadiums with club boxes on all four sides of the stadium. Plus there are premium seats on the lower east stands but they are always empty because they are too expensive and they are in the sun. If any work needs to be done it should be to the lower west to add more leg room.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Your kidding right? BDS is one of the few stadiums with club boxes on all four sides of the stadium. Plus there are premium seats on the lower east stands but they are always empty because they are too expensive and they are in the sun. If any work needs to be done it should be to the lower west to add more leg room.
You think the clube seats are empty because they are too expensive? They were usually sold out until the end of CPJ's time, and then tickets everywhere tanked under TFG. They are empty because too many people with tickets there either don't go to lesser games, or they stay in the air-conditioned club when it is hot outside. Some sell their tickets to the mutt game to "pay for their entire season tickets". It isn't the price.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No, I am not kidding. Have you been in the suite levels? Many of those boxes are purchased by internal GT affiliates such as academic schools (mostly for development), other sports (e.g., Golf, for fundraising), GT letterman, etc.

There is corporate demand for more premium seating. BDS is physically limited which is why MBS was considered.

BTW, that remains a trend affecting many other schools, not just Tech.

PS. Fun fact. Many of those premium seats are available on StubHub. The club fee runs about $3,500 a year (some clubs are $1 million plus, per year), plus the ticket. I’ve seen folks who get in for $35. Some club members won’t attend an early season game (too hot) or a crappy game (they travel), so they dump them … or they go unused.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
You think the clube seats are empty because they are too expensive? They were usually sold out until the end of CPJ's time, and then tickets everywhere tanked under TFG. They are empty because too many people with tickets there either don't go to lesser games, or they stay in the air-conditioned club when it is hot outside. Some sell their tickets to the mutt game to "pay for their entire season tickets". It isn't the price.
Wife and I had season tickets in CL3 in 2014. Besides what you said (all true), another factor is the free food and drink combined with the comfortable air-conditioned club with table seating. Back then you could not bring alcohol into the stands. So you could skip the free beer/wine or miss some of the game if you didn't time things right. We made a point of being in our seats when the game was underway but many didn't. Also, the crowd there skews older and less likely to remain in the stands when it's brutally hot.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Good progress. Too bad we can't just remove all the upper sections of the NEZ stands entirely. Leave that lower bit that effectively bowls in the north, east and south and call it a day.
I sat in the low UN for 5 years when CPJ was HC after being in the UW (30 yard line) for 4 years when CCG was HC. Two different perspectives on the game, but the UN was a great place to watch CPJ’s option offense. I’d hate to see them tear it down, personally.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
No, I am not kidding. Have you been in the suite levels? Many of those boxes are purchased by internal GT affiliates such as academic schools (mostly for development), other sports (e.g., Golf, for fundraising), GT letterman, etc.

There is corporate demand for more premium seating. BDS is physically limited which is why MBS was considered.

BTW, that remains a trend affecting many other schools, not just Tech.

PS. Fun fact. Many of those premium seats are available on StubHub. The club fee runs about $3,500 a year (some clubs are $1 million plus, per year), plus the ticket. I’ve seen folks who get in for $35. Some club members won’t attend an early season game (too hot) or a crappy game (they travel), so they dump them … or they go unused.
Club is actually only a smidge over $200/game but yeah it’s not hard to snag a seat there day of for ~$60 after fees (and it includes 2 alcoholic drinks which is about a $25 value). The Lexus Deck is more but it’s also all inclusive and its capacity is much lower.

We are definitely leaving money on the table with the present premium seating setup in Bobby Dodd. Notre Dame will be a cashcow with round-field/endzone suites and the all inclusive clubs running between $350-$430/seat.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Out of curiosity, I just checked the price and availability of Club seats from either the GT ticket office or StubHub. They're completely sold out from GT for a season where we don't play uga at Bobby Dodd. That's an indication that they're not overpriced. Some are available from StubHub for under $200 for the lesser games, but ACC games are in the $300-500 range per seat.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Club is actually only a smidge over $200/game but yeah it’s not hard to snag a seat there day of for ~$60 after fees (and it includes 2 alcoholic drinks which is about a $25 value). The Lexus Deck is more but it’s also all inclusive and its capacity is much lower.

We are definitely leaving money on the table with the present premium seating setup in Bobby Dodd. Notre Dame will be a cashcow with round-field/endzone suites and the all inclusive clubs running between $350-$430/seat.
My mistake. I shared another program's prices. I will say, it's a totally different experience. I'm a fan. If I go to a game, I'm buying club seats on StubHub.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
My mistake. I shared another program's prices. I will say, it's a totally different experience. I'm a fan. If I go to a game, I'm buying club seats on StubHub.
Do you feel this way about CL1-4? It’s a dentist office with fluorescent lights and no windows. 110C/128C at MBS are nice amenities but expect to miss entire possessions getting food and beer because they built it a mile walk from the section. The 200s club is much better in that sense but you’re obviously further from the action.

I like to sit Lower West at Bobby Dodd - you sit behind the home bench packed in with the biggest Tech fans. Everyone there is super focused on the game, stands on 3rd down, yells on defense, etc.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Do you feel this way about CL1-4? It’s a dentist office with fluorescent lights and no windows. 110C/128C at MBS are nice amenities but expect to miss entire possessions getting food and beer because they built it a mile walk from the section. The 200s club is much better in that sense but you’re obviously further from the action.

I like to sit Lower West at Bobby Dodd - you sit behind the home bench packed in with the biggest Tech fans. Everyone there is super focused on the game, stands on 3rd down, yells on defense, etc.
Upper east is where it's at!

konabuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Long time lower west. Since mid 90's. I have inquired about the smaller suites several times and always 'how many points to do you have' conversation. Plenty but the net was oversold.