Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We need a very good explanation from the "UN are good seats" crowd for why only 500 people sit up there for non-UGA games when the seats are great and only cost $20.

It's such a vibe killer in the stadium to see rows-upon-rows of empty bleachers up there and it makes us look like a small-time program to SEC/B1G head honchos and recruits alike.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
I have sat there many times and have some great photos from there, yet it is the most empty spot of the stands. If any secton needs to be removed for the improvement of the overall stadium experience....its the UN.
Also the UN is part of why our stadium is so loud despite us not selling out much. It’s sheer size keeps noise trapped in.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Also the UN is part of why our stadium is so loud despite us not selling out much. It’s sheer size keeps noise trapped in.
Well yeah, but if you add people up there, they will absorb the sound waves. Now it's just a reverberation, which may explain the difficulties of our audio system.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We need a very good explanation from the "UN are good seats" crowd for why only 500 people sit up there for non-UGA games when the seats are great and only cost $20.

It's such a vibe killer in the stadium to see rows-upon-rows of empty bleachers up there and it makes us look like a small-time program to SEC/B1G head honchos and recruits alike.

Because as good as they are, there are rows upon rows of empty seats in the upper east and west stands as well these days, too. A UW or UE seat between the 25 yard lines is a better seat, no doubt. But let’s not pretend that from the 20 yard line out the UW and UE are also empty.

Last edited:

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
78414F7C-9B25-4436-9AB8-65139675C7E9.jpeg

All those who want the UN gone- here’s your slight compromise

It looks good and will look great when
1. GT is ranked this year and more people come to games.
2. The new edge center is in

Btw there were a lot of butts (ticket sales) in these seats the last few homes games (because Tech is coming back).
Don’t keep your Collins doom shades on, you don’t have to hurt like that anymore.

Money will go towards building this program into filling the seats/bringing in more money so Tech can compete in modern day CFB. Money will most likely not go towards cutting our losses in aesthetics.

Schlandy

Georgia Tech Fan
View attachment 16518

Btw there were a lot of butts (ticket sales) in these seats the last few homes games (because Tech is coming back).
Don’t keep your Collins doom shades on, you don’t have to hurt like that anymore.

Money will go towards building this program into filling the seats/bringing in more money so Tech can compete in modern day CFB. Money will most likely not go towards cutting our losses in aesthetics.
Very fair points, I hope I have the luxury to knit picky at some point. But the north side looks objectively very weird now with all the seating in the left side. I wish the new fanning center had accounted for this by matching the west sides curve, but I digress, we don’t have the right to be that picky till we’re back to filling the stands. I hope those days are soon and in way more hopeful now than I thought I would be this time last year. That being said, if you’re attentive enough to be I these boards COME TO GAMES

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer

As an upper-norther, I could say the same thing about why less people than that are sitting in the Club Level seats in the lower east during most games, and it's a sea of red during u(sic)ga games. If we got rid of all of the seats that haven't been occupied the last few years, we'd be tearing out about 35% of the seats. I'm an optomist and believe we will overcome the damage that TFG caused and start seeing a lot more butts in the currently empty seats.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
As an upper-norther, I could say the same thing about why less people than that are sitting in the Club Level seats in the lower east during most games, and it's a sea of red during u(sic)ga games. If we got rid of all of the seats that haven't been occupied the last few years, we'd be tearing out about 35% of the seats. I'm an optomist and believe we will overcome the damage that TFG caused and start seeing a lot more butts in the currently empty seats.
Under both Gailey and Johnson, the lower half of the UN was mostly full most games. For bigger games it was 2/3 full. For the top 1-2 games per year that top 1/3 became opposing fans.

There are 6 rows below the walkway, including a handicap row, and there are about 33 rows above the walkway, for a total of about 39 rows. So then, the UN was generally full up about 19 rows, or about 13 rows above the walkway for a normal ACC game (UNC, UVA, UMD, etc.), with most above that being empty. For bigger games (F$U, Miami, VPI, etc.) that grew to about 20 rows above the walkway with a smattering of opposing fans above that. For the top games (UGAg, Auburn, Clemson, ND, etc.) the stadium was full, with mostly GT fans about 2/3 of the way up, or about 20 rows above the walkway (the exception would be UGAg on a bad year for GT) and the rest packed with opposing fans.

The top 10-12 rows in the UN are just overflow for opposing fans in big games. All stadiums have those sections. In this case, they are very high endzone seats and will never be high-demand seats. That still, however, gives GT about 25 rows of good seats for GT fans for most games.

I was on row 11 and we never had opposing fans in my vicinity to deal with - even UGAg in 2009 and 2011 - which was definitely NOT true in the UW high on the 28-yard-line in 2005 and 2007.

We just need to get back to winning and the UN will be rocking once again.

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
say the same thing about why less people than that are sitting in the Club Level seats in the lower east during most games, and it's a sea of red during u(sic)ga games. If we got rid of all of the seats that haven't been occupied the last few years, we'd be tearing out about 35% of the seats. I'm an optomist and believe we will overcome the damage that TFG caused and start seeing
So you're comparing $20 grill top seats to $1,000 seats with air conditioning access?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Sell the air conditioned areas separately from the great seats so people spend money to be in the seats themselves while others spend money for AC.
I had to think for a minute before I understood what you were saying - but now I believe it's a great idea. Sell Club Level "inside only" in addition to the stadium seating. I bet some would pay for a chance to simply have an extended tailgate in an air-conditioned environment with big-screen TVs and free food and drink while socializing with fellow GT fans.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, sorry, big run-on sentence there. But yeah make it like a bar or tailgate environment; ideally find a spot with windows in the new AA building or some future South EZ development so you feel “at the game” still. But then you don’t hurt the view on TV and don’t waste those prime seats.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, sorry, big run-on sentence there. But yeah make it like a bar or tailgate environment; ideally find a spot with windows in the new AA building or some future South EZ development so you feel “at the game” still. But then you don’t hurt the view on TV and don’t waste those prime seats.
There may be a way to make this work, but my initial thought that the AA could simply sell inside-only seating as an addition to the existing Club Level seating may not be feasible. The infrastructure is already there for a tailgate-like atmosphere, but there would need to be a way to discourage the seat-owners from simply staying in the lounge as they do now. I suppose you could convert the seats to non-lounge access but I can’t see how that would go over well.

jpw67

Georgia Tech Fan
View attachment 16518

For those who have been onsite recently, does it look like ingress/ egress to these stands is impacted by the construction? I'm sure this will still be a mess come a few weeks from now...

devcon

Georgia Tech Fan
For those who have been onsite recently, does it look like ingress/ egress to these stands is impacted by the construction? I'm sure this will still be a mess come a few weeks from now...
Yep, all of gate 7 has been blocked. No clue how the student section is going to enter.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Continuing to have the empty Gold seats right behind the opposing team sideline (a perfect background for every wide shot on TV), is my biggest gripe with the GTAA. It's an unforced error. Fix that before addressing the Upper North please.
Any feasible suggestions?