Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the agreement was extended another year since 2020 got cancelled due to Covid (it was suppose to be ND). This is a paragraph in conjunction with the Louisville game which says 3rd year of a 6 year agreement. So not sure if that means 2025 or 2026 but clearly beyond this year. I thought it was only extended one year but could be wrong.

Friday’s game is Georgia Tech’s third in a six-year agreement to play one home game each season at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in downtown Atlanta, which is located less than a mile from Tech’s midtown Atlanta campus. The Yellow Jackets are 1-2 all-time at MBS, with a 45-22 win over No. 20 North Carolina in 2021 and defeats to No. 24 Tennessee (42-41 in 2OT) and No. 6 Clemson in the 2017 and 2022 Aflac Kickoff Games.

Full article: https://www.bcsnn.com/football/2922...ille-kick-things-off-at-mercedes-benz-stadium

Per this article the contract was extended to 6 years after the 2020 ND game got moved to BDS. If correct, we still have 2 more years of games at MBS after this year's ND game.
The Jackets will now host one game per season at MBS each year from 2021 through 2026.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
My understanding is Tech football makes money playing there. What's going to be weird is when we play Ga. State in a couple of years at their baseball turned football stadium.
This is correct. I don't know the amount or exactly what the source of revenue is, but we do generate more money by playing there than we do with a regular home game at BDS.

That said, I prefer to be at BDS. Once we start winning double digit games every year, we'll fill the stadium every game and that will be a thing of the past. At least that's what we've been saying for the past 25 years (y)(y)(y)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is correct. I don't know the amount or exactly what the source of revenue is, but we do generate more money by playing there than we do with a regular home game at BDS.

That said, I prefer to be at BDS. Once we start winning double digit games every year, we'll fill the stadium every game and that will be a thing of the past. At least that's what we've been saying for the past 25 years (y)(y)(y)
45 years. There, fixed it for you.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Per this article the contract was extended to 6 years after the 2020 ND game got moved to BDS. If correct, we still have 2 more years of games at MBS after this year's ND game.
The Jackets will now host one game per season at MBS each year from 2021 through 2026.

I must have mentally blocked that out. Probably Georgia or VT in 2025 and slim pickings in 2026 since our home schedule isn’t great then… Colorado?

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I must have mentally blocked that out. Probably Georgia or VT in 2025 and slim pickings in 2026 since our home schedule isn’t great then… Colorado?

Not uga.

In 2025 we host Clemson, Pitt, Syracuse, & VT. It could be another Labor Day Weekend Clemson game. I suspect VT will be an October Thursday night game for some reason.

In 2026 we host BC, Duke, Louisville, & WF. I would say Colorado if Neon is still coaching them, otherwise, it would just about have to be Louisville again.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not uga.

In 2025 we host Clemson, Pitt, Syracuse, & VT. It could be another Labor Day Weekend Clemson game. I suspect VT will be an October Thursday night game for some reason.

In 2026 we host BC, Duke, Louisville, & WF. I would say Colorado if Neon is still coaching them, otherwise, it would just about have to be Louisville again.
I really dislike having that game be a Labor Day Weekend kickoff game. Those games are neutral site games. Not saying that moving home games to MBS is good, but if we do move home games to MBS, they should be home games not neutral site games. The only true home game I remember was the UNC game. The Louisville game and the Clemson game were both neutral site games. The announcing and the video boards were just as excited about opponent TDs as GT TDs. A GT home game should have biased announcing and video boards.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is Tech football makes money playing there. What's going to be weird is when we play Ga. State in a couple of years at their baseball turned football stadium.
Dumb move by Toad. But that was not uncommon for him😡

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That’s no reason to literally take games away from your own stadium. It’s ridiculous
It’s an excellent reason. Especially when you are cash-strapped. Besides, the selling point of TStan and He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named was that GT was the epicenter of college football and you will get to experience MBS.

I don’t agree, but they were consistent on that point.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Not uga.

I was being somewhat sarcastic by suggesting the dwags. But frankly, nothing surprises me. Our two biggest “home” games this year were FSU and Notre Dame by a mile yet we refuse to play either at BDS and instead, reduced the home schedule to just three meaningful games.

I figure they’ll err away from repeat games (just an assumption on my end) which doesn’t leave many decent choices left… probably VT 25 and potentially Colorado in 26 if Deion is still there.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I was being somewhat sarcastic by suggesting the dwags. But frankly, nothing surprises me. Our two biggest “home” games this year were FSU and Notre Dame by a mile yet we refuse to play either at BDS and instead, reduced the home schedule to just three meaningful games.

I figure they’ll err away from repeat games (just an assumption on my end) which doesn’t leave many decent choices left… probably VT 25 and potentially Colorado in 26 if Deion is still there.
I actually love the idea of GT v UGA on Labor Day. GT v Tennessee was one of the most watched games of the year. I think it would get high viewership because it has little competition. As it stands now, it isn’t much of a rivalry and we’re competing against lots of others for eyeballs in late Nov.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually love the idea of GT v UGA on Labor Day. GT v Tennessee was one of the most watched games of the year. I think it would get high viewership because it has little competition. As it stands now, it isn’t much of a rivalry and we’re competing against lots of others for eyeballs in late Nov.
I like this idea as well. It also allows us to have a reasonable chance of getting a Season Ending win. I know Key is lasered focus on beating UGA but it will be an uphill struggle to win with any consistency based on 3 wins in 20+ years. Even Johnson with the 3O won 3 times in 11 years and we were not as competitive in the last couple of years as UGA significantly improved.