Blue. Pants.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was in school in the early 60s, and I don't remember any dark jersey at all, blue or black. The black jerseys were part of Curry's Black Watch teams. But, again, when I was in school, the trim was always black, not blue. Apparently both Alexander and Dodd periodically used blue jerseys, but I don't think it was often
The black jerseys were usually for away games, though we used them at home during the "Black Watch" days. And, yes, the trim was black, not blue. I didn't know that Dodd or Alexander used blue jerseys. I never saw that, but I wasn't around for Coach Alex and I wasn't watching for Dodd. But we looked sharp in black.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The black jerseys were usually for away games, though we used them at home during the "Black Watch" days. And, yes, the trim was black, not blue. I didn't know that Dodd or Alexander used blue jerseys. I never saw that, but I wasn't around for Coach Alex and I wasn't watching for Dodd. But we looked sharp in black.
The black jerseys were worn for every home game from 1981-1986

We never wore dark jerseys for away games. The visiting teams always wore white or light colored jerseys. Tech could wear white jerseys at home because our opponents got to wear their home jerseys in an away game, something they all preferred anyway. Otherwise, we would have had to wear dark jerseys at home, which the NCAA stupidly required us to do from the mid-80s till the early 90s, when they reversed that mandate. The Black Watch jerseys, as well as the occasionally used gold jerseys, were a break from the traditional white home jerseys. I never saw an Alexander team at all, and I never saw any of Dodd's teams wear blue jerseys, but I have read that both did on rare occasion. Most notably, in 1942, Dodd filled in for a sick Alexander and took the number 1 ranked Jackets into Athens to face the number 2 ranked mutts and had the team wear blue jerseys, and we were soundly and unexpectedly defeated sending the mutts to the Rose Bowl instead of us. That game alone should have been reason enough to burn the damn things.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
What’s funny about your comparison to Pitt is they only been wearing Navy Blue and Gold since 97. Blue has always been a part of GT and our uniforms. So so guess Pitt has been trying to look like us.

Not sure where that information came from, but here is Tony Dorsett from the 1970s....

upload_2018-11-14_13-24-29.png
upload_2018-11-14_13-24-29.png

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

chicoGT

Georgia Tech Fan
That's Pat Swilling and that, sports fans, is a black jersey.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is evidence that the Curry’s black watch teams wore black, but I was at tech end of Rogers, beginning Curry eras, and those jerseys had dark navy trim and numbers. I have actual game jersey from GTAA surplus sale with Reeder & McGaughey label (old guys will know), blue numbers and trim, on late 70s vintage mesh. Team had a dark jersey in locker room, and it was navy. Blue is not new, but give me white & gold.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This "navy blue has always been Tech color" business is just plain wrong. The alternative jerseys back when I started watching Tech football - the early '60s - were black, not navy. And they looked very sharp indeed. I think we started to make the shift when we got into the ACC, largely because Wake used black, gold, and white as their colors. It is true that our main colors have always been white and gold. But I miss the black jerseys and I wish we went back to using them, every now and then. This year in Athens would be a great place to start.

Believe we started gravitating to Blue due to Cremins having the Blue road unis. curry, at the same time, was pushing black.

Gosh, let's see, who should we follow?

Cremins who put us on the national stage, or his pompousness curry who could not beat furman.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Believe we started gravitating to Blue due to Cremins having the Blue road unis. curry, at the same time, was pushing black.

Gosh, let's see, who should we follow?

Cremins who put us on the national stage, or his pompousness curry who could not beat furman.
Cremins still wore gold the majority of the time. Blue is fine as a one off. Not all the time

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This "navy blue has always been Tech color" business is just plain wrong. The alternative jerseys back when I started watching Tech football - the early '60s - were black, not navy. And they looked very sharp indeed. I think we started to make the shift when we got into the ACC, largely because Wake used black, gold, and white as their colors. It is true that our main colors have always been white and gold. But I miss the black jerseys and I wish we went back to using them, every now and then. This year in Athens would be a great place to start.

You just aren’t remembering back far enough...or are unaware of history predating your personal knowledge.