BjS- am I wrong. He has never played .. Can u say player

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Aren't you guys, regarding Thomas and 4-star rating/position, arguing about the size of midget? Makes no never-mind. Marshall is at QB because he's the best Johnson has, deficiencies and all. Johnson has dumbed down his offense to fit but yes, when it comes time to throw, then hello Tevin Washington, nice to see you again, Josh Nesbitt. Perhaps a ghost inhabits Dodd Stadium.

I'm not sure why we include Nesbitt as a passing QB. He was horrible, and if he didn't have DT making circus catches, he might have had a sub 40% completion rate for his career. As it stands, he was never above 50% in any season. Tevin was a passer, and an able game manager. While the least athletic of our QBs, he was probably the steadiest of all of them, and the only one besides JeT to have a season above 50% on completions.

I am not sure if you were extolling Nesbit as a passer or not, but I have read a lot over the years since that seem to remember him as a gunslinging QB yet want to malign TW. Reacting more to the general than the specific in your post.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Nesbit could sling it the length of the football field, just not accurate. He didn't have much touch on shorter passes either. Tevin could make nice short/intermediate passes and read progressions etc, just not a strong arm for deep balls, or when he needed some zip on it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why we include Nesbitt as a passing QB. He was horrible, and if he didn't have DT making circus catches, he might have had a sub 40% completion rate for his career. As it stands, he was never above 50% in any season. Tevin was a passer, and an able game manager. While the least athletic of our QBs, he was probably the steadiest of all of them, and the only one besides JeT to have a season above 50% on completions.

I am not sure if you were extolling Nesbit as a passer or not, but I have read a lot over the years since that seem to remember him as a gunslinging QB yet want to malign TW. Reacting more to the general than the specific in your post.
Well, let me clear this up: Nesbitt could not hit the ocean from a rowboat. And calling Washington a passer tells me you are a very charitable individual I need to hit up on our next fund drive. His "passes" wobbled, ducked, bobbed and weaved with hang time better than 40-yard punts. I remember him as an outstanding option QB, the best Johnson has had; he could handle every option in Johnson's playbook. So, the QBs in Johnson's tenure who could throw a bit include ... Thomas. Nesbitt could throw rockets, generally into outer space. (Thomas caught one of those in '08 or '09 at Dodd against Clemson on 3rd and 8 and we won with a field goal. He needed a pressure suit coming down.) Washington threw knuckleballs the wind treated like butterflies, and Marshall is kind of chunk it and hope. With all those, we have not had one who could hit the deep vertical, over-the-top toss, but each has brought some strength I would not disrespect. But still, when we have to throw, I expect some sort of adventure.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well, let me clear this up: Nesbitt could not hit the ocean from a rowboat. And calling Washington a passer tells me you are a very charitable individual I need to hit up on our next fund drive. His "passes" wobbled, ducked, bobbed and weaved with hang time better than 40-yard punts. I remember him as an outstanding option QB, the best Johnson has had; he could handle every option in Johnson's playbook. So, the QBs in Johnson's tenure who could throw a bit include ... Thomas. Nesbitt could throw rockets, generally into outer space. (Thomas caught one of those in '08 or '09 at Dodd against Clemson on 3rd and 8 and we won with a field goal. He needed a pressure suit coming down.) Washington threw knuckleballs the wind treated like butterflies, and Marshall is kind of chunk it and hope. With all those, we have not had one who could hit the deep vertical, over-the-top toss, but each has brought some strength I would not disrespect. But still, when we have to throw, I expect some sort of adventure.

Only one GT QB under CPJ finished his career with a completion rate above 50%. That was Tevin Washington.

For Comparison:

Completion %
TW 50.7
JT 48.7

Passing YDS
TW 3312 in 2.5 years
JT 4748 in 3 full years

Yds/Attempt
TW 9.6
JT 8.9

QBR
TW 142.8
JT 141.7

You might harp on TW for the way his passes looked, but he was just as effective, and a bit more accurate as a passer than JT ever was.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Only one GT QB under CPJ finished his career with a completion rate above 50%. That was Tevin Washington.

For Comparison:

Completion %
TW 50.7
JT 48.7

Passing YDS
TW 3312 in 2.5 years
JT 4748 in 3 full years

Yds/Attempt
TW 9.6
JT 8.9

QBR
TW 142.8
JT 141.7

You might harp on TW for the way his passes looked, but he was just as effective, and a bit more accurate as a passer than JT ever was.

It's all apples and oranges. Overall, JT had a better cast around him during his tenure than TW did.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
He committed to Alabama as an ATH and was going to be moved to CB. He committed to us because we were one of the only schools to offer him as a QB.
According to Justin, he committed to 'Bama as a QB. Then, Saban got the QB he wanted and approached JT about a move to CB. JT then visited Tech. and changed his commitment.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
According to Justin, he committed to 'Bama as a QB. Then, Saban got the QB he wanted and approached JT about a move to CB. JT then visited Tech. and changed his commitment.

What Saban tells recruits, and what he recruits them for, aren't always inline. Saban is more honest with the services than he is with the recruits.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

For Comparison:

Completion %
TW 50.7
JT 48.7

Passing YDS
TW 3312 in 2.5 years
JT 4748 in 3 full years

Yds/Attempt
TW 9.6
JT 8.9

QBR
TW 142.8
JT 141.7

I admit to being surprised, but I just didn't like him as a passer at all. Where Thomas had it over all of them was crunch time. Something in that kid rose to big occasions.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I admit to being surprised, but I just didn't like him as a passer at all. Where Thomas had it over all of them was crunch time. Something in that kid rose to big occasions.

Yeah. JeT was just clutch. Of course, having Smelter in 2014 was critical. You just knew Smelter was coming down with that ball if it got anywhere near him. 2015 was an anomaly, but 2016 I think we saw a JeT who had matured to the point of knowing when to throw and when to run. But most people overlook TW because he wasn't very sexy. He still remains the most effective passing QB we've had to date.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. JeT was just clutch. Of course, having Smelter in 2014 was critical. You just knew Smelter was coming down with that ball if it got anywhere near him. 2015 was an anomaly, but 2016 I think we saw a JeT who had matured to the point of knowing when to throw and when to run. But most people overlook TW because he wasn't very sexy. He still remains the most effective passing QB we've had to date.
Smelter was big time. 4th and 15 at Virginia Tech and they connect. Kismet. Even after Smelter's knee injury I thought he would be a pro player but not much is happening with him. He's one of those guys with puzzling top end speed. He doesn't seem to run that fast except nobody catches him.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Anyone hear radio show tonight. This is what drives me nuts about Roof. Why does PJ have to tell him to get Brant and BJS on field at same time? Seriously?
Really? PJ said just last week they won't play at the same time because they play the same position.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In run/ pass situation, have BjS line up on line behind or beside 42, 94, o r 9 3. That will change the play call and create confusion.
BjS is pressure and Bryant is read and 8 can stop any run his way till be any and swilling arrive .
Talent must play

Put um in and see what DUKE does.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what y'all were watching, but Vic Alexander had a hell of a game. I think that BJS is going to be an elite LB, but right now he is the 3rd linebacker in a 2 linebacker set. I do think that he should get more playing time, but Vic and Brant are playing well and producing.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what y'all were watching, but Vic Alexander had a hell of a game. I think that BJS is going to be an elite LB, but right now he is the 3rd linebacker in a 2 linebacker set. I do think that he should get more playing time, but Vic and Brant are playing well and producing.
Agree, but against UGA I would like to see a 4-3 some with all three on the field.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Agree, but against UGA I would like to see a 4-3 some with all three on the field.
I think that we will have to do that too in order to stop the run. I would also like to see a DL package where Branch and Simmons are the DEs with Adams and KCH/Glanton inside.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think that we will have to do that too in order to stop the run. I would also like to see a DL package where Branch and Simmons are the DEs with Adams and KCH/Glanton inside.
Yep, I think we can go big on the DL and 3 LB's for most of the game with 1 on 1's with our DB's. Basically what we did with VT, only move to a 4-3 except on passing downs. Only thing I don't like with that is moving branch outside because he's been playing inside all year and he could be a little rusty at DE.