BjS- am I wrong. He has never played .. Can u say player

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This goes back to 1999. This not new. When i was in school then, players and even one asst coach talked about it. Its still the case today imo; exactly the same rumblings.

What is the reason? Does he favor a kid who has low growth potential and lower athleticism but can get lined up correctly? Probably.

Or does he play kids that are raw, flat out athletes, but may miss a play and need to learn, also could miss a play but because of his talent can catch up? Dont see this from him much

The latter was the bobby bowden philosophy on D.

Can i be speculative and state he probably has favorites, they always seem to be in the mold of the little engine that could, sure i will. Cuz i have heard it now multiple times, from teams nearly 20 years apart. Let that sink in.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This goes back to 1999. This not new. When i was in school then, players and even one asst coach talked about it. Its still the case today imo; exactly the same rumblings.

What is the reason? Does he favor a kid who has low growth potential and lower athleticism but can get lined up correctly? Probably.

Or does he play kids that are raw, flat out athletes, but may miss a play and need to learn, also could miss a play but because of his talent can catch up? Dont see this from him much

The latter was the bobby bowden philosophy on D.

Can i be speculative and state he probably has favorites, they always seem to be in the mold of the little engine that could, sure i will. Cuz i have heard it now multiple times, from teams nearly 20 years apart. Let that sink in.

What team doesn't have players that feel they aren't getting pt because they aren't the coaches favorite? I see it at the college and high school level. Maybe they aren't the favorite because they aren't as frigging good as the other guy. Let that sink in.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Maybe BjS was lucky and will turn out to be really a stink in next few games.

If not, would this give us an idea of how much raw talent that is elite can contribute to a coaches reputation.

Last year playing running back in high school.
Last week in what appears to be a near acc of the week performance .

I am looking forward to the 5 hr drive to bds.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's going to be special. This is really his first year playing LB...so he's learning on the fly at a graduate level. The young man is availing himself well all things considered. The raw athleticism, instincts, and speed are there. Wait until he puts it all together.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
if this is such a potential issue maybe one of you folks who ask cpj questions on the call in shows can ask him direct. at the least this should be addressed. even if cpj says its not an issue it certainly cant hurt to put a bug in his ear.

while we are talking coaches.... what's the deal with coach mike sewak? a year or so ago many people complained about this guy cpj causing him to evaluate him during spring practice????

is he still a point of interest that needs to be addressed wrt recruiting and line play? we are only going to be as good as our weakest link!

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What team doesn't have players that feel they aren't getting pt because they aren't the coaches favorite? I see it at the college and high school level. Maybe they aren't the favorite because they aren't as frigging good as the other guy. Let that sink in.

I can concur with what @33jacket is saying though. You're absolutely right that any team sport will have guys who think they should be starting but who simply aren't better. I think what we've seen from Roof, back in the late '90's and now, is that he will err on the side of the "solid" guy rather than developing the "talent" guy.

What we see from winning programs is that talent trumps everything eventually. So sticking with the "solid" guy is a losing proposition. I'm cool with starting the "solid" guy initially but eventually you're gonna have to put talent on the field or you will typically trend toward mediocrity.

I should also state that I think the "welp, coaches see 'em in practice so of course they'll play the better guy" narrative is more flawed than people seem to be willing to accept. Coaches are human too. They play favorites (at times) and make mistakes (many times).

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
if this is such a potential issue maybe one of you folks who ask cpj questions on the call in shows can ask him direct. at the least this should be addressed. even if cpj says its not an issue it certainly cant hurt to put a bug in his ear.

while we are talking coaches.... what's the deal with coach mike sewak? a year or so ago many people complained about this guy cpj causing him to evaluate him during spring practice????

is he still a point of interest that needs to be addressed wrt recruiting and line play? we are only going to be as good as our weakest link!
any coach who would play a favorite over talent is too stupid to be employed long.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The whispers have been around about him since his first stint as DC. It's not new and shouldn't be surprising.
If I may resort to my favorite business consultant, Krusty the Clown, that is not a good business model. Whispers, rumors, innuendoes, somebody-who-knows-somebody-said-somebody ... Here's my rumor: a helicopter daddy whose son was mediocre but lettered in HS star hit a wall his first day at college fall camp and has spent three years moping about playing time when everybody else knows the miracle is that he still has a uniform. But he told daddy the coach hates him and plays a guy who is friends with his best friend's oldest son. Which makes as much sense as a coach playing favorites and is a better story besides.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The fact that a TRUE Fr lead the team in tackles with a fumble cause,recovery and a pic-6 goes a LLLLOOOONNNGGGG way toward explaining why our DEF plays like it does.They are just not that talented.
-er,I know recruiting rankings don't mean anything BUT according to Phil steele mag in these 4 yrs uva had a recruit class avg rank of 38 in nation,Tech 55. hmmm

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If I may resort to my favorite business consultant, Krusty the Clown, that is not a good business model. Whispers, rumors, innuendoes, somebody-who-knows-somebody-said-somebody ... Here's my rumor: a helicopter daddy whose son was mediocre but lettered in HS star hit a wall his first day at college fall camp and has spent three years moping about playing time when everybody else knows the miracle is that he still has a uniform. But he told daddy the coach hates him and plays a guy who is friends with his best friend's oldest son. Which makes as much sense as a coach playing favorites and is a better story besides.

Wait, who are you talking about? Or is this hypothetical?

For the record, I wasn't referring to any one player's complaints. Was merely making a general observation about Roof from 2 separate stints with GT.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know for sure if Roof plays favorites, but that might explain how Simmons isn't starting at DE right now across from Anree.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Roof plays players who will execute the D. Period. That means he will, like most DCs, go with more experienced players unless the equivalent of Warren Sapp shows up at fall practice (speed the day, O Lord!).

I also said before the season that I wouldn't be surprised to see BJS starting at LB before the season was out. He's an outstanding talent, albeit a bit on the small side so far. If Brant was healthy, I think it would be him and BJS playing, after a bit of an adjustment. BJS could be another Keith Brooking before he's through.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't know for sure if Roof plays favorites, but that might explain how Simmons isn't starting at DE right now across from Anree.

I bet our opponents see our depth chart and thank us for not starting Simmons. I mean, there are only a few of our guys who can single-handedly impact the game and Simmons is near the top of that list.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought it was weird to hear CPJ say he hoped (or something similar) that Jaquan Henderson would see the field on D. If we are in a rebuilding mode (not saying we are) then I would like to see Bruce, Jaquan and Jay/Lucas get significant reps. But I am not on payroll for many reasons..

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was weird to hear CPJ say he hoped (or something similar) that Jaquan Henderson would see the field on D. If we are in a rebuilding mode (not saying we are) then I would like to see Bruce, Jaquan and Jay/Lucas get significant reps. But I am not on payroll for many reasons..
Link?