Biggest ? Going into 2017

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
So, perhaps this is just getting spoiled, but at this point, I sort of trust CPJ to have a guy who can operate the offense with some proficiency. Whether that is because he coaches them up, or is really good at only giving them what they can handle, and playcalling to their strengths, I'm just not worried about QB. I have a hard time seeing a scenario where Jordan is anything worse than a more athletic Tevin Washington, which you can win a ton of games with.

I'm worried about B-Back (number 1 AND 2, because of whispers on this board that Mills still doesn't have his poop in a group) and DT.

I'm least worried about OL. I honestly think you guys are going to be a bunch of killers up front next year.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
So, perhaps this is just getting spoiled, but at this point, I sort of trust CPJ to have a guy who can operate the offense with some proficiency. Whether that is because he coaches them up, or is really good at only giving them what they can handle, and playcalling to their strengths, I'm just not worried about QB. I have a hard time seeing a scenario where Jordan is anything worse than a more athletic Tevin Washington, which you can win a ton of games with.

I sort of disagree with this. Can we win games with MJ? Sure. We can win 6-8 games depending on different factors. But you put a Tevin or someone like that on 2014 and 2016 instead of JT, and you're probably looking at 7 or 8 wins in 14 and 6 or 7 wins this year. Obviously 2015 was an outlier with the injuries, youth and the horrible offensive line that gave JT nothing to work with. I think we're overestimating PJ and underestimating JT A LITTLE. His throwing ability is going to sorely missed. Think about the big throws he's made. 3rd down and 4th down throws against VT in 2014, 3rd and long to Zenon against Miami in 14. FSU in 15. 4th down against BC. His play against Duke. Throw on the final drive against UGA. Him alone has been worth 2-3 wins in 2014 and 2016.

We need a guy that can throw the football. Sure, it can work in one game scenarios like it has in the past with Tevin or MJ this year. I think if MJ is our QB, we're going to appreciate how well JT threw the ball. I'm hoping Lucas Johnson can be that guy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
QB-This is easy. JT was awesome. He was really good throwing the ball this year and made some huge plays with his arm. I think we're gonna look back and think we were fortunate to have him as a passer and it'll be his ability to throw the ball that we'll miss. MJ was good in his start against VT. Hell keep the ball a lot and get tough yards. Some of those plays JT would lose three or four on the option when he's in trouble, MJ will put his foot in the ground and get two or three. But he'll probably carry it 15-20 times and miss out on some big plays on the outside. I'm really hoping Lucas Johnson pans out.

DL/Pass rush: This has been a question mark since 2008. Were so thin at DT. No pass rush. More of the same here, more than likely.
MJ's power running will limit the need to pass as much as we did with JT. More 3rd and shorts, less third and longs. Less penalties with tons of experience returning will help a ton, too.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
For those that have forgotten or never bothered to check out MJs HS information you might want to read the linked article. MJ can make the throws, we know he can run the midline and by the time the season rolls around he'll have the 3O timing down as well. He's been in the system 2 years and I think PJ has no qualms about turning over the Offense to him. If either of the RS Fr beat him out we will have one helluva of a QB under center. For now, I'm very comfortable with MJ going forward.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/jackson_qb_matthew_jordan_anno.html

stech81

Helluva Engineer
My only question is how am I going to make it to the Spring game without my weekly dose of Tech football?????? :D

This will help the first month.
125962267_6d2e18e40c_o.jpg

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
MJ's power running will limit the need to pass as much as we did with JT. More 3rd and shorts, less third and longs. Less penalties with tons of experience returning will help a ton, too.

I understand the thought process but we will be in big games against a Miami or a UGA or a Tennessee and need to convert a 3rd and 7 or a 3rd and 9.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
No question Justin will be missed and easily the best passer we've had under Johnson. But the thread title is not which player will be missed the most next year.

The thread title is what is the biggest question mark on the team going into the '17 season. I think people are looking at QB and saying you've got Jordan who has started a couple of games and played pretty well, and has been around awhile. He's got size, power, and is athletic. He isn't anywhere close to JT throwing the ball but can move the sticks in other ways. So they opine QB isn't the biggest question mark.

That's not the same as saying we won't miss the crap out of Justin or people don't appreciate JT's passing. It's just saying we are likely to have a capable player at the QB position next year.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
That is a very good point. The big factor for any QB (IMO) is the talent around him. MJ will have better talent around him than did TW. Tevin maximized the talent around him at the time.

MJ will have the benefit of far better line talent to work with. To my, admittedly untrained eye, the biggest difference between the team now and in Coach Johnson's early years is that the offensive line is far more talented across the board and with superior depth. I am not sure that the Abacks are any better and for sure, no one is going to touch Dwyer and Bey Bey but overall the team is deeper and better. Special teams are better in both kicking and coverage. It took a while but this is what red shirting and paying attention to player development can do for you.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No drop off at center. Cooper will be ever bit as good as Freddie B. We just need to land 2 studs at DT, to go with what we already have. QB will be more than alright with those 2 talented freshman and MJ running things, until they are ready!!!
There was no drop off THIS year when Cooper came in. He is going to be good.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I rewatched the offensive plays in the VT game this year and MJ definitely had a better arm than I remembered (especially when the line gave him time to throw). He didnt throw often but he was on target other than a couple that he had to throw away. One was a little shaky but he completed it and was under pressure. The biggest area of improvement I saw a need for was with his decision making. He threw into tight coverage a couple times and there were several times where he was not patient in letting the receivers finish their routes. He often only took a couple steps back during passing plays and decided to tuck and run instead of continuing to step back to buy more time for the receivers. I also saw this on pitch plays where he wasnt patient enough to get outside and pitch to the Aback and instead decided to abandon the play and run it himself (a couple of those plays could have gone for huge gains). All in all though I think he is a capable passer with a better arm than people assume, and with Spring practice and summer 7 on 7 drills, he should be much more comfortable with the receivers (Even JT was off on a lot of throws in the spring game but was much improved by the end of the summer). I also believe that as he becomes more comfortable, he will play smoother and make more pitches when necessary. If he gets beat out in Spring camp it wont be because he isnt capable and whoever beats him will have to be very good.