Big Cry Here....

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is no rule that says, as a defender, you have to let a receiver run through you to get to the ball. The ball landed to the far side of the defender. Plus he got his head around. Was there illegal contact? Yes, but it was mild. There is some hand fighting that happens every play. I support the no call, but had it been called, I wouldn't have complained either.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's PI only because he put his arm out there and did impede progress a little bit. He wasn't just running with the guy. But it's not blatant and I was OK with the call in the game. There were a lot more bad holds by Tennessee to complain about. Mostly the refs let them play which was OK. They didn't decide the game.

Deleted member 2897

If Durhams was in the end zone, then this was as well.

EGGGGGGG ZACTLY.

The difference was the physical contact. Steps had a lot more body contact and the line of the throw was more direct into where his body was. If the pass to Qua was closer towards where Qua was, it probably would have been called. Not an excuse, I still hate the Refs, but I think Qua needed to really run into this guy hard to show it was a catchable ball if he wasn't there.

The WORSE call I saw probably was one time when they lined up in Trips and the top 2 guys both worked together to throw a pick to the guy underneath. I'd love to see a GIF of that one. It was HORRIBLE. And no call.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
EGGGGGGG ZACTLY.

The difference was the physical contact. Steps had a lot more body contact and the line of the throw was more direct into where his body was. If the pass to Qua was closer towards where Qua was, it probably would have been called. Not an excuse, I still hate the Refs, but I think Qua needed to really run into this guy hard to show it was a catchable ball if he wasn't there.

The WORSE call I saw probably was one time when they lined up in Trips and the top 2 guys both worked together to throw a pick to the guy underneath. I'd love to see a GIF of that one. It was HORRIBLE. And no call.

You too? I was SCREAMING about the no call!!!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Impeding the receivers progress to the ball without looking for the ball... right? I guess I could be wrong....
Actually he looked back at the end which probably saved him. There was some jostling but I really didn't see enough there to throw a flag. You have to give the defender a chance to compete downfield and so some contact is permitted.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There is no rule that says, as a defender, you have to let a receiver run through you to get to the ball. The ball landed to the far side of the defender. Plus he got his head around. Was there illegal contact? Yes, but it was mild. There is some hand fighting that happens every play. I support the no call, but had it been called, I wouldn't have complained either.

I completely agree, but the problem is the refs in college football are inconsistent. It shouldn't matter if you get your head around or not...when balls are under thrown and they hit defenders in the back it should not be PI...

All too often I see this happen where a receiver is up in the air and the ball bounces off the defender and the flag is thrown...and I often look at it and scratch my head while I try to figure out how in the hell the receiver was going to catch the ball if the defender wasn't there.

The rules these days severely favor the offense, which makes late comebacks that much easier...it's just plain silly.

May not be the best spot for this comment, but there are times when committing PI is a good thing in college. Perhaps on the jump ball, for instance. When that guy goes up and it's clear you have no play on the ball, just freakin' tackle him and take the 15 yard PI. Much better than giving up 30+ yards when the opponent is struggling to comeback.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
You could argue it. However, weak case for it, IMO. Not that a poor throw excuses PI, but QB has to put the ball out in front over the outside shoulder.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
EGGGGGGG ZACTLY.

About every team does it in some form, and Clemson won a NC with it. Sometimes it is called, often it is not. Depends as the saying goes on whose ox is gored.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I would like to know why we were throwing the ball with our backup quarterback - who struggles throwing - on third and five, especially given how well we were running the ball.

Deleted member 2897

I would like to know why we were throwing the ball with our backup quarterback - who struggles throwing - on third and five, especially given how well we were running the ball.

Because it was there. Had he thrown it down the hash marks, it would have been a big play.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
The fact that the head wasn't turned was the biggest part of what could have been PI. I can see how a ref would leave that as a no call

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
The defender did not turn until after the ball hit the ground. So that is not a legitimate argument. If this is a no call, then the fourth quarter should be no different.

Tech got screwed by the officials again. Sorry, but you have to call it the same way. And Tech got the short end of the stick on this one.