Big Cry Here....

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Eh, it's a hard one to call if the ball is thrown a little closer to the hash you call it, but the defender has the right to their space on the field. [edit] It's one I would throw a **** fit if it was called on Tech is how I look at PI.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The defender runs through the receiver while not playing the ball. The defender holds the receiver's arm down without playing the ball.

I'd like an explanation on how either of those are not illegal. This is definitely not an egregious penalty, so I can maybe understand not calling it live (though the ref is in a good position to see this). I cannot fathom watching this in slow motion and not thinking it is pass interference.

Last edited:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Impeding the receivers progress to the ball without looking for the ball... right? I guess I could be wrong....

I got a good look at it at the time and told my daughter that in hind sight Qua should have crash hard left for the ball and made it a real collision, in which case he should have gotten the call. Qua let the defender "screen him off" without enough resistance from him. That no call was on Qua although I would have called interference because of the head turn and the arm push by the DB.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I got a good look at it at the time and told my daughter that in hind sight Qua should have crash hard left for the ball and made it a real collision, in which case he should have gotten the call. Qua let the defender "screen him off" without enough resistance from him. That no call was on Qua although I would have called interference because of the head turn and the arm push by the DB.

I think our receivers don't do what others do to draw the PI calls.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
It would've been a weak (ish) PI call but a justified one IMHO.

Then again, have yall seem the wrasslin' moves their OT's were allowed to put on out DE's?

These refs were out to lunch all over the place.

Hate to b***h about the refs, but yeah, noticed that as well, especially after half time. We were getting pretty decent penetration 1st and 2nd qtr, I assume the Vowel OL coach instructed them to widen their grasp at halftime to test the officials, and when the zebras were compliant with it, just continued to do so.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Going to rewatch the game shortly and don't have a strong opinion on officiating as of now.

To play devil's advocate, I recall one of our DL getting away with holding their RB leaking out on a screen pass earlier in the game... pretty much the same hold that was called on Branch at the end.

Did one of our WR get away with a block in the back on our last drive, to help put us in position for the FG attempt? Kind of looked like it on the replay in the stadium and it got the TN fans in a tizzy.

I thought there were a few missed calls both ways while watching Live.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
To play devil's advocate, I recall one of our DL getting away with holding their RB leaking out on a screen pass earlier in the game... pretty much the same hold that was called on Branch at the end.
That was the only possible complaint I had with the officiating. The pass play in question was a good no call in my opinion.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
MJ throws it to the outside shoulder and that's either a big gain or a TD. No one playing over the top and Quay had a step on the DB covering him.

That's why accuracy is so much more important than arm strength as a QB.