Better recruiting

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Top linemen do not want to play in this offense. I know, it sounds like a broken record, but the top tier guys want to be in a system that showcases both run blocking and pass blocking. Our blocking scheme isn't attractive to the top end OLs, just like our offense isn't attractive to top end skill players. Are there guys like Parker Braun out there that prefer this type of blocking? Yup, but those top end guys are few and far between.

Our offense is a zero sum game, IMO. Yes the offense and CPJ's knowledge of the offense gives us an advantage in certain ways, but it's also a disadvantage in other ways. Just something GT fans have to live with while CPJ is our coach.

t minus 12 or 24 games if I were guessing

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The guy was a UNC grad?
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/01/us/college-scores/index.html
You should tell him that:
* 10% of UNC Football players read below a 3rd grade level.
* 60% of UNC Football players read at between a 4th and 8th grade level.

That means 70% of all players had no business even getting into the college. Unless they have some shadow program that treats them like special education students and an adult daycare center.

Now, moving on (I'll come back to why that matters in a minute), lets specifically address his uninformed WR comment. Under CPJ, we've had 7 WRs who were multi-year starters. Under CPJ, we've put 7 WRs into the NFL. That's a pretty darned good percentage, don't you think? Ricky Jeune is #8.

So here is the pitch - if you're good enough to start at WR for Georgia Tech for more than 1 year, you'll be playing in the NFL.

Don't fall for the ignorant perceptions that people at other colleges have. Especially since they're apparently reading at the 3rd grade level.
I wonder how many mutt players belong in college?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This thread is about recruiting. And since we have been relying on Johnson's recruiting over the last 8 seasons, we've had no ACC crowns, one Coastal crown and one OB crown. We've also had 3 losing seasons (5 of the 8 were losing seasons against FBS competition). The other year that we went to the ACC Championship game was because both UNC and Miami recused themselves--it was somewhat embarrassing because we had a losing record against FBS competition that regular season, and there we were representing the ACC Coastal. We went to the OB in 2014 only because FSU was in the playoffs and the OB was not a playoff destination, not because we were ACC Champs.

Face it, you are happy with mediocrity. It generally boils down to this: Fans who are satisfied with the current situation just want to beat UGa 25% of the time, which Johnson has done over the last 8 years. Nothing else matters to them. That's a loser mentality.

I want to get back to the late '90s and early '00s, when we were a ranked team every year. I thought that was why we fired Gailey. Reality is that we fired Gailey only because he never beat UGa in six years. Johnson beat UGa 1 time in his first six years. That's they only difference in the two coaches, and that one win for Johnson was with Gailey's recruits--and recruiting is what this thread is about.

to add another thought--our fine 2014 season really was based on a huge change in the WR corps--SMELTER.His play was key in rec stats ,blocking. and opening up the run game with downfield threat.But-he was a BASEBALL
player that got hurt.He rejected fball when we recruited him.He came to fball only after being injured. Without him that season is much different.Pure luck.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
to add another thought--our fine 2014 season really was based on a huge change in the WR corps--SMELTER.His play was key in rec stats ,blocking. and opening up the run game with downfield threat.But-he was a BASEBALL
player that got hurt.He rejected fball when we recruited him.He came to fball only after being injured. Without him that season is much different.Pure luck.
Agree smelter was big in 14 especially the first half and p art of uga. The adding of Erin Joe to right tackle and putting in shamire at l g gave us an NFL size ol that the dc s weren't prepared to handle. They can't stop this offense!

We have been doing recruiting on the fly.
At least we are getting taller d e and db and shorter d t.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As a regular student, I doubt 5% would get into UGAG. Maybe JUCO as a regular student.

Do you think 5% of our players get into Tech as regular students? Maybe 1% could.

5% couldn’t get into UGA either.

The last average two-part SAT for our team I’ve seen is 1062. That’s not even getting you into Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, etc as a regular student.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’d base our success mostly on Shaq that year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There is a reason most of our players are not in engineering or computer science. I am always impressed by our kids that can do that and play big time sports.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. The system in itself isn't going to make GT a better team or recruit better, it's always going to be about who's running the system or doing the recruiting. I just don't get all of this "CPJ's system is the only system that will work at GT." talk. That's false on so many levels...not to even mention we had a system under Friedgen and O'Leary that was putting HUGE numbers and gave us a runner up in the Heisman race.

You think Mike Leach's system would work here? How about Joe Moorhead's? Both of their systems were put together with the thought that they needed an advantage against teams that outrecruited them. It's been gang busters everywhere those coaches have gone. Heck, I even think Stanfords "pro style" offense would work here if it was run by the right people.

Absolutely.
CPJ's style of offense works, yes, but it's not the end all be all, nor is it the only offense for GT.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Gaily = zero mutt wins, zero ACC Champions (including a loss to Weak Florist in title game by not throwing to your All-Planet wr), zero Orange Bowl appearances/wins

I’ll take CPJ every time over that

But you didn't have a losing season and you could beat Duke. Has CPJ had a first round draft pick?
All this tell me is that with right coach you can win and recruit. Neither of them are necessarily stellar.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
But you didn't have a losing season and you could beat Duke. Has CPJ had a first round draft pick?
All this tell me is that with right coach you can win and recruit. Neither of them are necessarily stellar.

I will gladly accept a losing season or two to be able enjoy the highs that Gaily could never give us.

I am honestly expecting a 10 win or better season next year. Plus I feel like the last two+ classes has given us nice depth for the future. It is going to depend on how well the QB performs next year though.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I prefer CPJ over Gailey as well, but that stops with CPJ.
Consistent winning, title contention, Top 25 finishes I would think be the goal.