Better recruiting

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was at a Christmas party last night and was talking with a guy that works for ESPN coverage. Worked 3 GT games this year. He had really good things to say about Roddie. He said he didn't understand how we could sign any decent WR with our offense. He is a UNC grad. I honestly have to agree with him. We actually do fairly well at that position but not sure we have any real speed at that position. We get tall guys. If these guys are expected to block all the time then reward them with some throws and more than 2 or 3 per game. That is my biggest criticism of PJ.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Let me say this. There is a chance I am closer to the AA than alot of people on the board. Ok.

Secondly. Let me also state that gt has doubled its intake of revenue over the past 7 or 8 years. Our staff has only increased by 2. Our spend is is proportional to this increase in other areas. Some of which can be pushed off.

Finally to add 3 more fulltime non coach staff will only cost the AA 360k a year or so for these positions. Lets not act like we need 50 million dollar donation.

What we are talking about should not take a year dude.

Gt fans have been overly accustomed to the excuse making of the AA. And i personally am tired of it. Its a poorly run organization and they need to man up a bit. The fans need to demand more out of them

I mostly agree with what you said in another thread: We'd be better off with a 90 year old Homer Rice.

People who really understand the history of GT football over the last 40 years know what a brilliant job Homer Rice did. We went from being 1-AA/FCS awful in every sport, to championship teams in most sports. Braine and his successors came in an made a mess of the GTAA while also wasting money Homer raised.

One thing Homer understood that the successors didn't seem to understand is that GT is different, but different can be an advantage. I wish our "we're not worthy" excuse making fans understood that.

I haven't given up on Stansbury because he walked into the awful mess created over the last 20 years by his predecessors. However, 12 months from now I may have a different opinion. Next year will be his third year. Like with coaches, it's the third year that tells you what you have. If things are status quo next December, even darker days are ahead.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I definitely think if we switched offensive systems we would get better recruits. I don’t think our team would be any better though. When you cant recruit with the Clemson’s, Miami’s, and UGA’s you need something to differentiate. Why else do you think no other school in the ACC has had the success of GT since CPJ has been here besides FSU and Clemson?

Absolutely. The system in itself isn't going to make GT a better team or recruit better, it's always going to be about who's running the system or doing the recruiting. I just don't get all of this "CPJ's system is the only system that will work at GT." talk. That's false on so many levels...not to even mention we had a system under Friedgen and O'Leary that was putting HUGE numbers and gave us a runner up in the Heisman race.

You think Mike Leach's system would work here? How about Joe Moorhead's? Both of their systems were put together with the thought that they needed an advantage against teams that outrecruited them. It's been gang busters everywhere those coaches have gone. Heck, I even think Stanfords "pro style" offense would work here if it was run by the right people.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I respect a lot of what you have to say and an glad that you post on this board, but come on, he has only been here a year. In the first year at a business, you evaluate what you have and what needs to change and then you make the changes. I also do believe that it should take this long to make sure we have the money and also take the time to make sure that we get the right coaches and assistants. If nothing happens next year with TStan, then I will be really concerned.

Thats fine! I am just a little less patient I guess. Evaluations take 90 days. Changes go from there on. My view Is in the business world no one will tolerate the lack of motion for a year. If I run a company this way it’s bankrupt. That’s why I think our A.D. should’ve had more business savvy sense instead of a career academic weenie

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This thread is about recruiting. And since we have been relying on Johnson's recruiting over the last 8 seasons, we've had no ACC crowns, one Coastal crown and one OB crown. We've also had 3 losing seasons (5 of the 8 were losing seasons against FBS competition). The other year that we went to the ACC Championship game was because both UNC and Miami recused themselves--it was somewhat embarrassing because we had a losing record against FBS competition that regular season, and there we were representing the ACC Coastal. We went to the OB in 2014 only because FSU was in the playoffs and the OB was not a playoff destination, not because we were ACC Champs.

Face it, you are happy with mediocrity. It generally boils down to this: Fans who are satisfied with the current situation just want to beat UGa 25% of the time, which Johnson has done over the last 8 years. Nothing else matters to them. That's a loser mentality.

I want to get back to the late '90s and early '00s, when we were a ranked team every year. I thought that was why we fired Gailey. Reality is that we fired Gailey only because he never beat UGa in six years. Johnson beat UGa 1 time in his first six years. That's they only difference in the two coaches, and that one win for Johnson was with Gailey's recruits--and recruiting is what this thread is about.
Not sure how it was embarrassing to be in the ACC Championship in 2012. We were tied with Miami and UNC at 5-3 in the ACC, all three teams beat each other; Miami got in because of a weird tie-breaker rule and we would have had the head to head victory over UNC. We also held our own in the game, only got beat by 6.

Also, that 2014 FSU playoff-Orange bowl argument is poor. Had there not been a playoff, FSU would have been in the BCS title game. No way they would have kept an undefeated, reigning champion out of the championship game. The committee just got cute and decided to put them in at #3.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Dude. In 2014 we had three dbs start for us all in the nfl. Two ran sub 4.45s.

Stop with this notion the speed is better. How can you be better than a 4.39 and a 4.4. Lol.

How can u be much better than 3 dbs that were on active nfl rosters. Yes. I get it. Not nfl lockdown starters. Ok. But damn good enough to play in a darn competitive league.

Those cats were recruited in 2009 and 2010.

On the 2014 d we had 4-5 nfl players on it. It sucked donkey balls because roof is a crap coach.

I apologize but i simply dont see recruiting as any better and could float evidence its gotten worse under roof. The last class and this years are certainly too young to judge though.
I’m talking about over the past two years before 2017 I thought I made that pretty clear, you should probably read my full comments and take them for what they are actually saying. You haven’t debunked anything I have said. I agree before those years we had a bunch of guys, but that’s not the case for what we have been fielding the past two year. I agree the new recruits are still young and hard to gauge. However, you made a statement that when you look at the film they don’t look any different, so I’ll ask the question again, when you look at the names I mentioned, which recruits from the 2015 & 2016 years have looked as good on film? I’m not talking about guys that have been recruited and aren’t on the team, but I’m talking about guys that are on the team. And like I said the size and speed from 2017 and 2018 anr better than 2015 and 2016, so imo that is an uptick in better recruiting. If you don’t agree with what I’m saying that’s perfectly fine you can state your opinion, but there’s no need to be a jerk about it, especially when your bringing up stuff like players from 2014 which has nothing to do with my original comments and what I’m claiming. Atleast we can agree on one thing though, something different needs to happen with the D and imo that’s Roof not being the DC.

Deleted member 2897

I was at a Christmas party last night and was talking with a guy that works for ESPN coverage. Worked 3 GT games this year. He had really good things to say about Roddie. He said he didn't understand how we could sign any decent WR with our offense. He is a UNC grad. I honestly have to agree with him. We actually do fairly well at that position but not sure we have any real speed at that position. We get tall guys. If these guys are expected to block all the time then reward them with some throws and more than 2 or 3 per game. That is my biggest criticism of PJ.

The guy was a UNC grad?
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/01/us/college-scores/index.html
You should tell him that:
* 10% of UNC Football players read below a 3rd grade level.
* 60% of UNC Football players read at between a 4th and 8th grade level.

That means 70% of all players had no business even getting into the college. Unless they have some shadow program that treats them like special education students and an adult daycare center.

Now, moving on (I'll come back to why that matters in a minute), lets specifically address his uninformed WR comment. Under CPJ, we've had 7 WRs who were multi-year starters. Under CPJ, we've put 7 WRs into the NFL. That's a pretty darned good percentage, don't you think? Ricky Jeune is #8.

So here is the pitch - if you're good enough to start at WR for Georgia Tech for more than 1 year, you'll be playing in the NFL.

Don't fall for the ignorant perceptions that people at other colleges have. Especially since they're apparently reading at the 3rd grade level.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Thats fine! I am just a little less patient I guess. Evaluations take 90 days. Changes go from there on. My view Is in the business world no one will tolerate the lack of motion for a year. If I run a company this way it’s bankrupt. That’s why I think our A.D. should’ve had more business savvy sense instead of a career academic weenie
I can agree with that. Sometimes it takes a blitzkrieg and sometimes it takes a siege. I just feel that at a place lime Tech, it takes a siege.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing Homer understood that the successors didn't seem to understand is that GT is different, but different can be an advantage. I wish our "we're not worthy" excuse making fans understood that.

When I go to GT for games or events, I'm honestly SHOCKED at how GT isn't doing better than we are. You get on this board and you would think GT was this destitute place on the outskirts of the city with rundown buildings that's inhabited by only pale glass wearing males (no offense to the pale glass wearing males of this board). The way some posters talk about GT, it's almost as if GT's success in sports was all a cosmic accident that winning the lottery would be easier than winning at GT.

You know what I see when I go to GT? I see a dynamic university right in the middle of an exploding world class city. Our campus is absolutely stunning in a modern sense, but also with a touch of old Ivy feel around the administration buildings. Our facilities are not Bama/Oregon/Texas levels, but we've got facilities here that would rival a lot of programs that bring in more money and fans (Ask Jimbo Fisher about that...or Mark Richt who's still waiting for an indoor practice facility, just like he was at UGA). Right on campus, GT has a business incubator that people are starting to call the Silicon Valley of the South. I see opportunities surrounding GT for our SAs to improve themselves professionally and personally. There is literelly nothing an SA aspires to that GT and Atlanta can't help with. I see a diverse mix of cultures, people, and ideas that should inspire anyone from any walk of life. Food? Heck, you don't even have to a walk within a mile radius of campus to experience cuisine from every corner of the world. Entertainment? The question easiest to answer here is what does a person want to do that Atlanta doesn't offer.

IMO, there are maybe a handful of schools across the nation that has what GT has. Sure, our academics culls some of the SAs we're able to go after, but the advantages should attract more than we lose. Yet it seems we don't take advantage of them.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Jeez Louise, another of these threads? So a few points.

Given our offensive style, we probably would have passed on a lot of the OLs Ugag recruited this year. That's because we actually hit people when we block and don't waddle into position and push. True, it's best to have guys like Braun, Devine, and Mason; big and fast is the ticket. Still, looking at the O and saying that "kids don't want to play OL in our offense" is missing most of the story about the way we recruit OLs. It's a two-way street. When Chan was coach we got a lot of really big guys and zone blocked; now we don't. It's that simple.

Second, the Guy is right. As I keep saying here, Tech fans are spoiled rotten. We look at a record that 90% of college football programs would kill to have and we're "accepting mediocrity". Problem = even a rep for getting to the top isn't sure to help: see FSU and (again) Texas this year. I think Coach wants to win a MNC at Tech and I think, if the cards fall right, he could.

Third, there's a reason the pros like our WRs. It's because they're big, know how to block, and can catch. This will continue. UNC, as a glance at pro rosters will tell you, has nothing on Tech in this department. We know how to spot them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
One think teams in the NFL like about our WR's is they can block.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I can understand this 100 % I will say from what I’ve seen Tstan has done a lot of funding behind the scene to make some things better, and in this new year we will see change. We have already started updating our facility, and we will be hiring two new people, 1 coach, and 1 support staff. I do think we should hire atleast 3 new support staff though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I can’t find the post on it but yomanser broke down the OL recruiting a few weeks ago and it was awful. Miss after miss after miss. That’s a really bad look considering how poorly we have blocked for the most part of the past 3 seasons. I totally agree with his point that we time and again fail to just take best players here and wait too often for “best fits”.
Could the assistant coach be at least slightly responsible for this and 2 senior o t deciding to leave?
Coach is loyal to his assistants .
Maybe next year will turn out better in the ol.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Top linemen do not want to play in this offense. I know, it sounds like a broken record, but the top tier guys want to be in a system that showcases both run blocking and pass blocking. Our blocking scheme isn't attractive to the top end OLs, just like our offense isn't attractive to top end skill players. Are there guys like Parker Braun out there that prefer this type of blocking? Yup, but those top end guys are few and far between.

Our offense is a zero sum game, IMO. Yes the offense and CPJ's knowledge of the offense gives us an advantage in certain ways, but it's also a disadvantage in other ways. Just something GT fans have to live with while CPJ is our coach.

Not sure I entirely agree. Our scheme doesn't call for the same type of lineman as others. Take Shamire Devine with all of the size and athletic potential as an example. Really struggled to be a consistent contributor for us and mobilize that size when pulling to block at the second level. This is despite excellent athleticism for his size. In the end, it was a little bit of us adapting to his strengths and him getting better within the system. We just need something a little different. Granted, size, strength, speed, athleticism are still at a premium. Just because the typical OL mold isn't ours doesn't mean we can throw smaller guys who still lack agility and strength and expect them to succeed. A big part of our challenges, though, have been inability to build and maintain depth.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I can’t find the post on it but yomanser broke down the OL recruiting a few weeks ago and it was awful. Miss after miss after miss. That’s a really bad look considering how poorly we have blocked for the most part of the past 3 seasons. I totally agree with his point that we time and again fail to just take best players here and wait too often for “best fits”.
I agree we should start recruiting the “best player” however, I don’t think the OL recruiting has been awful. I think guys transferring, leaving to pursue NASCAR, art, and career ending injuries have hurt GT more than recruiting the “best player” .Give us those guys back and we would probably have a very good OL. I also look at how we have offered guys early in the recruiting cycle where some of us say what’s going on with offering this kid, but if CPJ gives someone an offer that early it’s because he knows what he’s doing and he sees something in that kid. I think our OL should be good in the next few years as long as we don’t have a ton leave for various reasons, or injuries. We have Braun, Lee, Cooper, Bryan, coming back plus the guy who was injured (can’t think of his name for some reason) then we have stickler who has had playing time. We also have Hasen who played a little last year and Quinney (who was offered early in the recruiting cycle) Tufele, and Clark who all redshirted and could contribute. Of course they will have to show up and play well but hopefully the OL will get better without a ton of guys leaving.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m talking about over the past two years before 2017 I thought I made that pretty clear, you should probably read my full comments and take them for what they are actually saying. You haven’t debunked anything I have said. I agree before those years we had a bunch of guys, but that’s not the case for what we have been fielding the past two year. I agree the new recruits are still young and hard to gauge. However, you made a statement that when you look at the film they don’t look any different, so I’ll ask the question again, when you look at the names I mentioned, which recruits from the 2015 & 2016 years have looked as good on film? I’m not talking about guys that have been recruited and aren’t on the team, but I’m talking about guys that are on the team. And like I said the size and speed from 2017 and 2018 anr better than 2015 and 2016, so imo that is an uptick in better recruiting. If you don’t agree with what I’m saying that’s perfectly fine you can state your opinion, but there’s no need to be a jerk about it, especially when your bringing up stuff like players from 2014 which has nothing to do with my original comments and what I’m claiming. Atleast we can agree on one thing though, something different needs to happen with the D and imo that’s Roof not being the DC.

I dont have time to bother highlighting all the recruits for a pointless argument. Nothing we are doing in recruiting now is any better than any other year. And because I believe that there’s no point in highlighting individuals.

With that said who we have recruited should feild better performance than we have.

The main issue is there is this fake news that roof is a good recruiter when he isn’t. He is overpaid. And he’s not a good coordinator. So that’s where I stand

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I dont have time to bother highlighting all the recruits for a pointless argument. Nothing we are doing in recruiting now is any better than any other year. And because I believe that there’s no point in highlighting individuals.

With that said who we have recruited should feild better performance than we have.

The main issue is there is this fake news that roof is a good recruiter when he isn’t. He is overpaid. And he’s not a good coordinator. So that’s where I stand
Well I will just respectfully agree to disagree on having a tad better recruiting, which I actually gave reasons for. But like I said we can atleast agree on some points.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
UNC signed 4 kids from Georgia or one fourth of their early signers. Duke signed 2 from GA. Tired of us losing some obvious qualifiers to them. Although UNC will take min qualifiers at times. We don't seem to do that.

Duke and UNC have always recruited Georgia and manage to get a couple of kids a year from here. Clemson, FSU, South Carolina, Auburn, Tennessee have all made a living off Georgia players. Even Notre Dame and Ohio State recruit Georgia hard. There are a lot of good to really good to great players in the state. They also may not fit into what we want to do on O or D. I think the in-state kids we got so far, especially with Graham on board, is one of the best in-state hauls we've had. It's not the most but I think it's one of the best.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I definitely think if we switched offensive systems we would get better recruits. I don’t think our team would be any better though. When you cant recruit with the Clemson’s, Miami’s, and UGA’s you need something to differentiate. Why else do you think no other school in the ACC has had the success of GT since CPJ has been here besides FSU and Clemson?

Va. Tech to a lesser extent than FSU/Clemson, but other than that ... (cue the crickets).