Better recruiting

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Just started thinking about how better our recruiting has been over the past two years. While not WAY better than past years, by the recruiting service rankings, one big thing stands out that should dramatically change the team over the next couple years, and that’s SIZE and SPEED. I’m not all into the star rankings however I do believe in them to an extent. We now have 9 guys over the past two years that are ranked as 4 stars by atleast one recruiting service.

Both Swillings, Henderson, Oliver, Bonds, Askew, Dingle, King, and Chimedza. We also have Braun from the 2016 class. We could also add Graham, Chatman, and Barrett this year. Then we have guys with size and speed that could arguably be ranked higher than what they are like Thomas, Carter, Walton, and Jackson from this year and Carpenter, Owens, and Mason from last year.

Our D line could have multiple guys in the middle at 295 +, and guys at DE at 260+. LB’s at 6”2 and over 225 and then a bunch of DB’s all around 6”0-6”4 190-215 pounds in the next couple of years.

If we can turn this into a top 30 D, we could have a pretty solid team for the years to come. Let’s home this recruiting keeps getting better. I’m glad we will finally be fielding a team on the D that looks like an actual college team from top to bottom.

Mods if this should be in a different thread I apologize.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Stars aside, we will always perform based on how well we’ve spotted, signed and developed the diamonds in the rough. We need a better “pan out rate” than we’ve had recently.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Stars aside, we will always perform based on how well we’ve spotted, signed and developed the diamonds in the rough. We need a better “pan out rate” than we’ve had recently.
I agree with that. However, bigger and faster recruits should turn into more guys panning out. Even over the past two years our 3 star guys are ones getting offered by bigger named schools, something I don’t remember as much in the past.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I can’t find the post on it but yomanser broke down the OL recruiting a few weeks ago and it was awful. Miss after miss after miss. That’s a really bad look considering how poorly we have blocked for the most part of the past 3 seasons. I totally agree with his point that we time and again fail to just take best players here and wait too often for “best fits”.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I can’t find the post on it but yomanser broke down the OL recruiting a few weeks ago and it was awful. Miss after miss after miss. That’s a really bad look considering how poorly we have blocked for the most part of the past 3 seasons. I totally agree with his point that we time and again fail to just take best players here and wait too often for “best fits”.

The most inportant part of an offense as a unit has been so severely neglected its going to continue to cost us. We have a couple of nice pieces but one good player every few years is not helpful. The OL is a unit and we have not recruited to improve the entire unit. There is no depth there and we have no business relying on walkons to win us games. It should not happen. But because we have no depth, we have resort to that.

UGA has always had good recruiting at skill positions but Richt was terrible about OL recruiting. So how was UGA going to step up wherr they were already at a high level? Recruit the OL. What did Kirby do? Went and got the best OL coach in the business, was just named the #2 recruiter in the nation on 247 and signed the top 3 OL in the country. 3....the top 3. Let it sink in. Look at our OL recruiting and look at what they emphasized this year and last. When you are beating your head against the wall next after after they run through us just remember this post right here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The most inportant part of an offense as a unit has been so severely neglected its going to continue to cost us. We have a couple of nice pieces but one good player every few years is not helpful. The OL is a unit and we have not recruited to improve the entire unit. There is no depth there and we have no business relying on walkons to win us games. It should not happen. But because we have no depth, we have resort to that.

UGA has always had good recruiting at skill positions but Richt was terrible about OL recruiting. So how was UGA going to step up wherr they were already at a high level? Recruit the OL. What did Kirby do? Went and got the best OL coach in the business, was just named the #2 recruiter in the nation on 247 and signed the top 3 OL in the country. 3....the top 3. Let it sink in. Look at our OL recruiting and look at what they emphasized this year and last. When you are beating your head against the wall next after after they run through us just remember this post right here.

Top linemen do not want to play in this offense. I know, it sounds like a broken record, but the top tier guys want to be in a system that showcases both run blocking and pass blocking. Our blocking scheme isn't attractive to the top end OLs, just like our offense isn't attractive to top end skill players. Are there guys like Parker Braun out there that prefer this type of blocking? Yup, but those top end guys are few and far between.

Our offense is a zero sum game, IMO. Yes the offense and CPJ's knowledge of the offense gives us an advantage in certain ways, but it's also a disadvantage in other ways. Just something GT fans have to live with while CPJ is our coach.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Top linemen do not want to play in this offense. I know, it sounds like a broken record, but the top tier guys want to be in a system that showcases both run blocking and pass blocking. Our blocking scheme isn't attractive to the top end OLs, just like our offense isn't attractive to top end skill players. Are there guys like Parker Braun out there that prefer this type of blocking? Yup, but those top end guys are few and far between.

Our offense is a zero sum game, IMO. Yes the offense and CPJ's knowledge of the offense gives us an advantage in certain ways, but it's also a disadvantage in other ways. Just something GT fans have to live with while CPJ is our coach.
Oh, now I get it!!! Just change offensive scheme and the top recruits will just pour in! I had no idea.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Imo its not that much better. I think you are having a tad bit of nostalgia. We are basically where we have been on a avg basis under cpj. And a notch worse than under chan on avg. i am not referring to stars or rankings. But rather tape, quality etc. you can see we are not recruiting at a terribly high level even today. And to me this staff has struggled with evaluation

Its telling when paul leads off with we have great kids who are or we hope are good players.

It would be nice if he said we have great kids and great players. But he cant. And he knows it. Its tough sledding recruiting at tech right now and the new hot air AD hasnt done squat. No new staff. No more personnel. He is listening but its been a year and no acting. Stansbury has been totally status quo to date.

Until we get more staff. It is what it is.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Imo its not that much better. I think you are having a tad bit of nostalgia. We are basically where we have been on a avg basis under cpj. And a notch worse than under chan on avg. i am not referring to stars or rankings. But rather tape, quality etc. you can see we are not recruiting at a terribly high level even today. And to me this staff has struggled with evaluation

Its telling when paul leads off with we have great kids who are or we hope are good players.

It would be nice if he said we have great kids and great players. But he cant. And he knows it. Its tough sledding recruiting at tech right now and the new hot air AD hasnt done squat. No new staff. No more personnel. He is listening but its been a year and no acting. Stansbury has been totally status quo to date.

I'll say it again, until TStan can raise the money to fill these new positions then they will not be filled. Last I heard, he was meeting with donors to get the money to fill the positions and I imagine that we'll hear something in January. Give him time before you give up on him. It has only been 1 freaking year.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Just started thinking about how better our recruiting has been over the past two years. While not WAY better than past years, by the recruiting service rankings, one big thing stands out that should dramatically change the team over the next couple years, and that’s SIZE and SPEED. I’m not all into the star rankings however I do believe in them to an extent. We now have 9 guys over the past two years that are ranked as 4 stars by atleast one recruiting service.

Both Swillings, Henderson, Oliver, Bonds, Askew, Dingle, King, and Chimedza. We also have Braun from the 2016 class. We could also add Graham, Chatman, and Barrett this year. Then we have guys with size and speed that could arguably be ranked higher than what they are like Thomas, Carter, Walton, and Jackson from this year and Carpenter, Owens, and Mason from last year.

Our D line could have multiple guys in the middle at 295 +, and guys at DE at 260+. LB’s at 6”2 and over 225 and then a bunch of DB’s all around 6”0-6”4 190-215 pounds in the next couple of years.

If we can turn this into a top 30 D, we could have a pretty solid team for the years to come. Let’s home this recruiting keeps getting better. I’m glad we will finally be fielding a team on the D that looks like an actual college team from top to bottom.

Mods if this should be in a different thread I apologize.
The size of recruits has been much better on D. We will have plenty of 300 lb guys in the middle, bigger and taller ends, and bigger, faster LBs. DBs are also much taller. I don't know if we'll be good, but we'll be tall and heavy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh, now I get it!!! Just change offensive scheme and the top recruits will just pour in! I had no idea.

At the end of the day, you can make excuses, but the reality of the situation is still there. Sorry, I like CPJ and I even like his offense, but kids just don't want to play in it.

Say what you want about the 2007 class, but elite guys were coming in before then under Gailey and O'Leary. Look at our defensive recruiting. There's like a 10-1 disparity of 4 star defensive guys to 4 star offensive guys that have signed with us since CPJ has been here. You think that disparity is just coincidence? You don't think if we had another system the offensive recruiting would be closer to the defensive recruiting?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I said in my comment it hasn’t been WAY better. But my point still stands that we have gotten bigger and faster on D. Are we where we want to be? No of course not but our recruiting is a tick better imo. Do you really not look at all the DB’s film that we have gotten over the past two years and say it’s not better than years past? Can you name more than 1 or 2 recruits from two years before 2017 who’s film looked as good as king, Thomas, Swilling, Oliver, Bonds, Carpenter, and Askew (who if was bigger would have had a lot more offers imo) or LB, Dingle, Swilling, Henderson, Jackson? Or how about TK at DT? Don’t get me wrong I’m not say we have a ton of world beaters, but these guys are definitely a tick better imo. And even the guys who have film compared to other recruits in the past have one big thing that was lacking, and that’s size. Austin smith, Luke Johns, Owens ect. Idk about you but if I see two guys that are comparable on film I’m taking the bigger guy (which normally means stronger, but not always) over the smaller guy for the next level of football. JMO. I do agree the recruiting hasn’t been WAY better though as stated in my original comment. I’ll also add I don’t believe our talent level on D should be in the 60’s year in and year out.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
UNC signed 4 kids from Georgia or one fourth of their early signers. Duke signed 2 from GA. Tired of us losing some obvious qualifiers to them. Although UNC will take min qualifiers at times. We don't seem to do that.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll say it again, until TStan can raise the money to fill these new positions then they will not be filled. Last I heard, he was meeting with donors to get the money to fill the positions and I imagine that we'll hear something in January. Give him time before you give up on him. It has only been 1 freaking year.

Let me say this. There is a chance I am closer to the AA than alot of people on the board. Ok.

Secondly. Let me also state that gt has doubled its intake of revenue over the past 7 or 8 years. Our staff has only increased by 2. Our spend is is proportional to this increase in other areas. Some of which can be pushed off.

Finally to add 3 more fulltime non coach staff will only cost the AA 360k a year or so for these positions. Lets not act like we need 50 million dollar donation.

What we are talking about should not take a year dude.

Gt fans have been overly accustomed to the excuse making of the AA. And i personally am tired of it. Its a poorly run organization and they need to man up a bit. The fans need to demand more out of them

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
There are pluses and minuses to every coach. Personally, I'll take the minuses if the pluses include occasional exciting mutt victories, Coastal crowns, ACC crowns and OB crowns.

This thread is about recruiting. And since we have been relying on Johnson's recruiting over the last 8 seasons, we've had no ACC crowns, one Coastal crown and one OB crown. We've also had 3 losing seasons (5 of the 8 were losing seasons against FBS competition). The other year that we went to the ACC Championship game was because both UNC and Miami recused themselves--it was somewhat embarrassing because we had a losing record against FBS competition that regular season, and there we were representing the ACC Coastal. We went to the OB in 2014 only because FSU was in the playoffs and the OB was not a playoff destination, not because we were ACC Champs.

Face it, you are happy with mediocrity. It generally boils down to this: Fans who are satisfied with the current situation just want to beat UGa 25% of the time, which Johnson has done over the last 8 years. Nothing else matters to them. That's a loser mentality.

I want to get back to the late '90s and early '00s, when we were a ranked team every year. I thought that was why we fired Gailey. Reality is that we fired Gailey only because he never beat UGa in six years. Johnson beat UGa 1 time in his first six years. That's they only difference in the two coaches, and that one win for Johnson was with Gailey's recruits--and recruiting is what this thread is about.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I said in my comment it hasn’t been WAY better. But my point still stands that we have gotten bigger and faster on D. Are we where we want to be? No of course not but our recruiting is a tick better imo. Do you really not look at all the DB’s film that we have gotten over the past two years and say it’s not better than years past? Can you name more than 1 or 2 recruits from two years before 2017 who’s film looked as good as king, Thomas, Swilling, Oliver, Bonds, Carpenter, and Askew (who if was bigger would have had a lot more offers imo) or LB, Dingle, Swilling, Henderson, Jackson? Or how about TK at DT? Don’t get me wrong I’m not say we have a ton of world beaters, but these guys are definitely a tick better imo. And even the guys who have film compared to other recruits in the past have one big thing that was lacking, and that’s size. Austin smith, Luke Johns, Owens ect. Idk about you but if I see two guys that are comparable on film I’m taking the bigger guy (which normally means stronger, but not always) over the smaller guy for the next level of football. JMO. I do agree the recruiting hasn’t been WAY better though as stated in my original comment. I’ll also add I don’t believe our talent level on D should be in the 60’s year in and year out.

Dude. In 2014 we had three dbs start for us all in the nfl. Two ran sub 4.45s.

Stop with this notion the speed is better. How can you be better than a 4.39 and a 4.4. Lol.

How can u be much better than 3 dbs that were on active nfl rosters. Yes. I get it. Not nfl lockdown starters. Ok. But damn good enough to play in a darn competitive league.

Those cats were recruited in 2009 and 2010.

On the 2014 d we had 4-5 nfl players on it. It sucked donkey balls because roof is a crap coach.

I apologize but i simply dont see recruiting as any better and could float evidence its gotten worse under roof. The last class and this years are certainly too young to judge though.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Let me say this. There is a chance I am closer to the AA than alot of people on the board. Ok.

Secondly. Let me also state that gt has doubled its intake of revenue over the past 7 or 8 years. Our staff has only increased by 2. Our spend is is proportional to this increase in other areas. Some of which can be pushed off.

Finally to add 3 more fulltime non coach staff will only cost the AA 360k a year or so for these positions. Lets not act like we need 50 million dollar donation.

What we are talking about should not take a year dude.

Gt fans have been overly accustomed to the excuse making of the AA. And i personally am tired of it. Its a poorly run organization and they need to man up a bit. The fans need to demand more out of them
I respect a lot of what you have to say and an glad that you post on this board, but come on, he has only been here a year. In the first year at a business, you evaluate what you have and what needs to change and then you make the changes. I also do believe that it should take this long to make sure we have the money and also take the time to make sure that we get the right coaches and assistants. If nothing happens next year with TStan, then I will be really concerned.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the day, you can make excuses, but the reality of the situation is still there. Sorry, I like CPJ and I even like his offense, but kids just don't want to play in it.

Say what you want about the 2007 class, but elite guys were coming in before then under Gailey and O'Leary. Look at our defensive recruiting. There's like a 10-1 disparity of 4 star defensive guys to 4 star offensive guys that have signed with us since CPJ has been here. You think that disparity is just coincidence? You don't think if we had another system the offensive recruiting would be closer to the defensive recruiting?
I definitely think if we switched offensive systems we would get better recruits. I don’t think our team would be any better though. When you cant recruit with the Clemson’s, Miami’s, and UGA’s you need something to differentiate. Why else do you think no other school in the ACC has had the success of GT since CPJ has been here besides FSU and Clemson?