Best Radio Show Yet

Matt E

GT Athlete
I appreciated his explanation of what the free safety was doing in the formation we have all been discussing and how it dictating which way we ran.

Declinometer

Banned
He said he used that "slot" receiver to crack the safety. I have to go back and watch but I don't think they ever went wide to the "slot" side. Could be wrong.

Declinometer

Banned
He said he used that "slot" receiver to crack the safety. I have to go back and watch but I don't think they ever went wide to the "slot" side. Could be wrong.

Re watching now. There was once so far beginning of 2nd qtr where they went wide to the "slot" side. Going to keep watching to see how many more times I was wrong. To my defense, u couldn't see the WR til vary late in the play because tha camera is zoomed tight.

Declinometer

Banned

They did twice in the game. I stand corrected. However, most of the time they ran away from the covered slot.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They did twice in the game. I stand corrected. However, most of the time they ran away from the covered slot.

A. Is this innovative formation going to be called
- the wide reciever can't go out for pass formation,
- the Brad Stewart stand in middle of field formation,
- or the BS formation?
B. Because of its great sucess will other teams immediately start using it?

C . forget A and B - I really hope this blog can develop a detailed explanation for this formation.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
- or the BS formation?
Will other teams
C . forget A and B - I really hope this blog can develop a detailed explanation for this formation.
It's not innovative. It pretty common for option teams to do. CPJ has been using it since the mid 80's. He's also used it every year since he's been here. My high school team did it in the mid nineties. It's to formation the defense out of 8 in the box. Even if the WR is ineligible the defense has to account for him as a blocker. If the defense does nothing you can another blocker to the strong side if they move someone out their it changes up responsibilities and can cause problems for the defense. Also depending how they account for the covered WR an a back can move to the line and the wr can step back and they can pass to the wr as well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's not innovative. It pretty common for option teams to do. CPJ has been using it since the mid 80's. He's also used it every year since he's been here. My high school team did it in the mid nineties. It's to formation the defense out of 8 in the box. Even if the WR is ineligible the defense has to account for him as a blocker. If the defense does nothing you can another blocker to the strong side if they move someone out their it changes up responsibilities and can cause problems for the defense. Also depending how they account for the covered WR an a back can move to the line and the wr can step back and they can pass to the wr as well.

Tks. I've been on my phone and didn't want to spend the time trying to explain what should be obvious.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Also depending how they account for the covered WR an a back can move to the line and the wr can step back and they can pass to the wr as well.

I kept waiting for us to do this at least once to see if they adjusted someone over to him. If so, it could have made more running room with one less in the box.

I also thought it would be worth trying to throw a bubble screen to Juene and have BS block the corner.

I'm a baseball guy and I'm not a huge X's and O's guy, but I like to try and think of creative ways to get the ball in some of our playmakers hands.? We could even run it off PA to keep the safety at home. Is this feasible or a terrible idea?

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
I was out of town and hated to miss tonight.

I hear from @MrsDrJacket that CPJ stopped by the table. Evidently, he told her that if we win this Saturday-- I don't get to come back to the radio show. ;) Hey, if that's what it takes-- I'll give up the show for the team.

Uh oh. I also skipped this week's show. @GTpdm had to work late and I finished early. Been sick for over a week and didn't want to hang around for 3 hours waiting for the show to start, so I headed home and listened from there instead.

It was a really good show.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for the explanation but I think I saw 10 men in the box while we erre on left hash. Our 9 ran left away from BS and wr into the teeth of defense. Made no sense as no one was within 15 yds of BS.
Will watch in video and advise of the play and will give time occured. Thanks by way I remember , if step BS of line would have been easy long gain

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
- or the BS formation?

I know you're being facetious, but the formation is called "Over". If the ineligible WR is to the right then the formation is "Over Right". Other variations are Over Green and Over Brown. I think I've seen us line up once in Over Brown, and he referenced Over Grey - which I have no idea what that looks like.

PJ talked about it during the radio show - and I highly suggest going/listening in because there's always good info there.

He didn't go into detail, but he'll often use it as a counter when he sees a 1-high look (only 1 deep safety). If you want to see it used a ton watch 2008 UGA where "Free" Willie Martinez used a 4-4 look against us.

Declinometer

Banned
- or the BS formation?

Has been used since CPJ has been at Tech

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Uh oh. I also skipped this week's show. @GTpdm had to work late and I finished early. Been sick for over a week and didn't want to hang around for 3 hours waiting for the show to start, so I headed home and listened from there instead.

It was a really good show.
Missed you. Feel better.