Best Radio Show Yet

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I know you're being facetious, but the formation is called "Over". If the ineligible WR is to the right then the formation is "Over Right". Other variations are Over Green and Over Brown. I think I've seen us line up once in Over Brown, and he referenced Over Grey - which I have no idea what that looks like.

PJ talked about it during the radio show - and I highly suggest going/listening in because there's always good info there.

He didn't go into detail, but he'll often use it as a counter when he sees a 1-high look (only 1 deep safety). If you want to see it used a ton watch 2008 UGA where "Free" Willie Martinez used a 4-4 look against us.
That was the first time I had seen a 4-4 since HS.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
...Also depending how they account for the covered WR an a back can move to the line and the wr can step back and they can pass to the wr as well.

Would have been nice to try this once before the fourth quarter (I believe we finally threw it one time at the end). This was wide open ALL DAY. If they shifted the A-back on the opposite side up to the line and dropped the slot back, the defender on the slot side may not even have noticed. We could have marched down the field throwing what would essentially be short smoke routes.

Declinometer

Banned
Would have been nice to try this once before the fourth quarter (I believe we finally threw it one time at the end). This was wide open ALL DAY. If they shifted the A-back on the opposite side up to the line and dropped the slot back, the defender on the slot side may not even have noticed. We could have marched down the field throwing what would essentially be short smoke routes.
Point was made on call in show by caller

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I made a lot of notes; I may or may not end up writing the up. But here are two thoughts:

1) PJ said something which I have to be reminded of every year. Had two plays per game gone differently in the last three games, we'd be 5-0. Last year we made the plays to win, this year we haven't, or at least so far, he said. My take is that there are a few Alabamas and Ohio States, but the rest are not a whole lot better or worse than each other. If teams played ten times, every game would be different. But they only play once.

2) I don't remember what led into this, but at some point PJ said something like "Nobody thought we'd be here. That might be half the problem. I told 'em 'No more talk about the division and such. We got ahead of ourselves. Let's just win a game.' " So those who pointed to our guys getting the big heads from all the preseason praise, there it is.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Just finished listening to the whole show and I heard something at the end that really confused me. Brandon said: "Coach, this is just the second time in your coaching career that you've lost three straight games." Johnson then goes on to say they lost 10 in a row at Navy or something like that...

Are these guys crazy? This is some very selective memory by these two. It's the fourth time at Georgia Tech it's happened in the same season:

2010: Clemson, VT, Miami
2012: Miami, Middle Tennessee, Clemson
2013: VT, Miami, BYU
2015: Notre Dame, Duke, UNC

If you count cross over between years it happened again from 2011 - 2012
2011/2012: UGA, Utah, VT

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Capture.PNG

This is from EA NCAA 14 which is only a video game so keep that in mind. However, it does illustrate that X (Slot WR) is ineligible. For those that like the X's and O's stuff.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Just finished listening to the whole show and I heard something at the end that really confused me. Brandon said: "Coach, this is just the second time in your coaching career that you've lost three straight games." Johnson then goes on to say they lost 10 in a row at Navy or something like that...

Are these guys crazy? This is some very selective memory by these two. It's the fourth time at Georgia Tech it's happened in the same season:

2010: Clemson, VT, Miami
2012: Miami, Middle Tennessee, Clemson
2013: VT, Miami, BYU
2015: Notre Dame, Duke, UNC

If you count cross over between years it happened again from 2011 - 2012
2011/2012: UGA, Utah, VT
I heard it. But its just an honest mistake. Obviously Brand Gaudin didn't do his homework before he made the comment. CPJ just kinda went with it.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Just FYI for everyone: if you have any Apple device go to your podcast app (stock application) and look up "gtathletics". It is the easiest way to catch every major interview and every CPJ show.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I finally got to listen to the show. I really like the play breakdown by CPJ. I wish he would do a little more of it, but that may not appeal to the broad audience.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A few more notes:
Q: We aren't getting much pressure on the quarterback, coach. A: Yep, that's a big problem. We need to bring more. I'm sure Coach Roof and his staff are working on it. Also need to mix it up. Getting Adam and Pat back will help. But you know we aren't stopping the run all that well either. We have given up over 200 yards in the last three games. That needs to come down.

Q: Missed assignments getting better? A: Yes, it's come down. But the number is still more than average. The efforts have been good for the most part. A little problem on one side. But altogether efforts has not been an issue.

Q: Coach, I've analysed where we throw and we hardly ever throw over the middle. A: The receivers have an option on which route to run. But we probably should look at that.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I wish we would attempt a 3-3-5 look with Hunt as the 3rd linebacker. Let him and PJ alternate rushing the passer. I think it would give us a better shot at containing the QB, and rallying to stop the run. We get moved out of the run lanes when we rush 4 from our 4-2-5 look.

Or play the 3 man line with Hunt-Gostis-Gamble and let Freeman/Simmons line up in the LB spot.