Belmont

How many times will GT beat Belmont this weekend?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 29.2%

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Looks like 2016 repeat. We have no Sunday starter, at least not with Gibson. The bats have gone silent after we got behind early the last two times. Like someone said, we can't hit junk. What is with our pitchers(?) hitting batters, especially on 0-2 pitches? Twice when Belmont sacrificed, the base runner would have been safe if the batter had
pulled up and taken the pitch. Other than Curry, Hughes, Ryan, Parr, and Datoc, who do we have that we can rely on to get the job done?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
All in all, it was a good weekend and I'm really excited about Curry and Hughes after their performances. Curry is really just one inning away from having a 0.00 era. I also feel like we have 3 reliable relievers now in Carpenter, Datoc, and Ryan. We really just need to have somebody step up as a reliable Sunday starter. Would y'all rather see Schneiderjans, Parr, or Ryan ( I know he's the closer, but Datoc can take over) start next Sunday?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was going say same thing as @65Jacket ...feels much like last season. It is still early, though. Seems there could be a Sunday guy that comes from the pack.

Road series in Miami... I'd guess CDH will lean toward experience. That would point to Parr. But we'll have to see.

@THWG threw out starting Ryan & moving Datoc to closer. That's interesting. We shall see.

Closing "my" book on Belmont. We did miss opportunities today....in all phases. Not sure it would have mattered, though. Give Belmont credit for avoiding the sweep.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Is there something wrong with Carter Hall and Burton Dulaney? I know that Hall has pinch ran once or twice, but I would like to see him playing in left or center field over Coleman Poje (nothing against Poje, I just think Hall is the better overall player). CDH has only used Dulaney once or twice also, even though he was one of the better freshman pitchers last year. He could be another go to guy out of the pen.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All in all, it was a good weekend and I'm really excited about Curry and Hughes after their performances. Curry is really just one inning away from having a 0.00 era. I also feel like we have 3 reliable relievers now in Carpenter, Datoc, and Ryan. We really just need to have somebody step up as a reliable Sunday starter. Would y'all rather see Schneiderjans, Parr, or Ryan ( I know he's the closer, but Datoc can take over) start next Sunday?

For Sunday starter, I'd think it's next man up which would be Parr going from mid-week to Sunday. I heard Hall talk in pre-game today about how well Gibson threw in bullpen this week. Obviously a disconnect from bullpen to game time.

I liked how Ben S pitched today overall. He could work up to a weekend starter but I would think it's good for him to start mid-week first.

More immediate question is who to start on Tuesday? Maybe Parr a staff start of ~2-3 innings and then our mid-relievers. It could be Ben S but he had a few innings today. Ryan, Dulaney, Carpenter and Datoc I would think would stay as relievers.

Reprise 2016. It really hurts losing English and then King and Gooden can't throw strikes. Their names "should" have been in the discussion.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
It's my understanding that Carter Hall is actually hurt something about his foot? I thought that had cleared up but not sure. He sure is a good player and it would be nice to have him back in there.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I was extremely encouraged by Ben S and his performance today. He was the ONLY pitcher who Belmont couldn't hit today. They even hit Zac Ryan better than Sch&@:;jans .

I personally want to see more of him. Parr is serviceable, but a Ben looked great today. It was only one outing, and only a couple of innings, but he's my pick for Sunday starter eventually. I have no idea why they could choose Gibson over Schneiderjans to start.

Overall, though, I agree that our pitching looks very thin. Personally, with the way Miami has not hit well (they were shut out again today and fall to 4-6 on the year) I will be disappointed with one win there. I expect two with Curry and Hughes. One win and ya'll are right....back to our usual recent pattern.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Update 8-1:D

Here are the other ACC teams who wish they had taken care of business yesterday like we did (records going into game):
Pitt loss to 2-6 @ Woffard
VT loss to 3-3 Binghampton
Miami loss to 2-1 Dartmouth
NC State loss to 3-4 Rhode Island
ND loss to 1-5 Maryland
UNC loss to 4-4 Long Beach State

Not in the surprise category, but a 0-2 loss by Clemson to 6-3 USCe.

Ouch.

These were Friday losses when you're using one of your top 2 starting pitchers. Ouch again.

All losses except Pitt were at home. Ouch ouch again.
ND really sucks in baseball:D

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I think Gibson has a serious confidence problem on the mound, he can be great in the bullpen but poor on the mound. Delany shut down early in Summer ball last year and I fear he has some type of arm issue. Gooden seems to be an example of something that puzzles me to no end. The guy was rated higher than Curry in some circles coming out of high school, but he is extremely wild. I wonder if he will ever be serviceable.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm new to this forum, having watched high school baseball mostly the last few years and college football but with the changes they are making in high school baseball and the regions I have set my sights on college. Just can't get to those games anymore to follow my teams. With that said, my very limited observation of things here is we got a glass half empty group here. I get it, I haven't been around to have the history as you guys do but I am more of a glass half full kinda person.

There is a lot of pitching to still be figured out, this class had a lot of pitchers and a lot of different styles. I think we have put the focus on hitting and fielding in years past and pitching was just there but you have a group of pitchers this year that need attention - not in a way that is of concern but they need to focus on the pitching with new eyes. Pitching is an individual sport.

I think that Gibson will sort it out, some days you have it as a pitcher and some days you don't. Would agree he needs some confidence and perhaps he could have finished the inning yesterday but we were already down 3 at that point and had only thrown 4-5 strikes. That doesn't do anything for your confidence. If I am other pitchers, I'm looking at Sunday as my opportunity.

Tuesday may be the tail of the tape on Parr and a few others. Parr looked good at Ga Southern but had a few challenges last week. He's a senior and perhaps isn't planning on going to the next level but still has to put the work in.

Shaddday looked good yesterday, unfortunate about the man left on base and you got to get the job done when you come in for relief. Keep those balls in the infield but all in all, looked strong and finshed with a strikeout. Thought Ryan stayed in a little too long although had good command. That ump was challenging, thought that Danny was going to get tossed at one point.

Would love to see Combs and Dulaney a little more, by my count there are 15 pitchers they can use through the course of the games, just got to sort it out. Not sure about King, he has got to trust his arm with the injury. He has good stuff.

As for Gooden, 2-3 batters a diagnosis doesn't make....like my grandma would say. From what I can tell and video I have seen, the kid has what he needs perhaps it's a style issue we don't know what's happening on the back side of things. Not sure what is up there but I am holding off on making an assumption.

Hope they get Tuesday in and we can see some different combinations.