Belmont

How many times will GT beat Belmont this weekend?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 29.2%

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't sleep on Belmont. They are 4-4 and have only lost to "good" teams; Kent State and Missouri State. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Belmont

Coming off a 18-17 win against Southern Illinois, maybe they resemble us. Able to score a lot of runs but questionable pitching.

I've got to guess we win 2 of 3 given our starting pitching inconsistency. Hope I'm wrong again and we sweep; that's my second guess.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
100% totally not-objective emotionally hopeful prediction....3 wins this weekend. I do hope Belmont is "good"... and offers us challenges all weekend. Will be interesting to see the starting rotation for this weekend. Wonder if there will be any tweaks. On Tuesday, Parr left after 3 innings and 64 pitches. Wonder if he's in the mix for a weekend start?

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Are they always listed as probable? Surprised to see Gibson on Sunday. Wonder if they will pick up the KSU game again next week for the extra work prior to Miami?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Happy (early season) Thoughts:

Team
SLG% - .588 (#3 nationally)
HRs - 17 (#4 nationally)
Fldg% - .986 (#12 nationally)
Scoring - 9.8 runs/gm (#13 nationally)
10 for 10 in stolen bases

Individual
Scoring - 2.13 runs/gm (W.Bailey - #1 nationally)
HRs - 6 (K.Johnson - #1 nationally)
RBIs - 18 (K.Johnson - #2 nationally)
Total Bases - 31 (K.Johnson - #9 nationally)
Wins - 3 (J.Datoc - #1 nationally) (y)
Wins - 2 (X.Curry - #6 nationally)
(note: please don't mess up my happy thoughts.. I know the pitching 'wins' thing is what it is)

Key TakeAway: We are 6-1 and very good at a lot of what's important in baseball.
GO JACKETS... sweep these Belmont dudes!!!!

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I was surprised to see that also. CDH is forgiving with his pitchers, isn't he? Or is the bad news that we just don't have anyone better to trot out there? (Can you tell I am really worried about our pitching?)

Or you don't make sweeping changes after only two starts? Especially when one of them was pretty good. Losing your job after a single bad start is a bad message to send. That's a good way to destroy the confidence of your pitchers and have them pitching scared. You gotta have patience. As a fan and even more so as a coach. This isn't football.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
@Squints is on fire today. Keep that optimism going!

Haha just a slow Friday afternoon at work. And I wouldn't exactly call it optimism but I'm not going to stress myself out less than ten games into the season. Baseball's like a stew. You have let the season develop a bit to see what you have. You're going to lose a few games along the way. That's ok. You just gotta let it breathe. We'll see where we are after four weekends of conference play.

In the meantime just enjoy the baseball.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I can enjoy X pitching 6 shut out innings....... 7 SOs, one hit, 2 walks and 1 hit batter. Oh yeah he picked off two of the ones who got on.

90-56 so 62% which is respectable. But it's the 7 SOs that is really impressive. I watched a couple innings and he was throwing fire.

King in. Time to switch from beer to vodka. King has put two on (hit and walk) and no outs. Pull him. Screw the confidence and pride. Let him throw balls in bull pen. We have lots of pitchers we need to get real experience.

Update: Thank you CDH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pulled King after walked the bases loaded. Slow pull by my standards but better than giving up 8 in an inning.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I must admit that I am very frustrated to see our pitchers walking people. I know King is still trying to get right after his rehab, and then Lee walks another guy...but it is still very frustrating to watch as a fan. Just drives me nuts!!!!

X Curry on the other hand looks like a hoss!!

One question. I notice that Curry is pulled after 90 pitches. I also see his next start will be vs Miami. Are our guys on pitch counts this early in the season? If so, 90 pitches may not get 5 innings against a quality ACC foe. Does everyone do this? I noticed that in the Miami vs Florida series last weekend the UF starters went much deeper (119 pitches, 109 pitches), and I was wondering why their coaches take a different approach to pitch counts.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I must admit that I am very frustrated to see our pitchers walking people. I know King is still trying to get right after his rehab, and then Lee walks another guy...but it is still very frustrating to watch as a fan. Just drives me nuts!!!!

X Curry on the other hand looks like a hoss!!

One question. I notice that Curry is pulled after 90 pitches. I also see his next start will be vs Miami. Are our guys on pitch counts this early in the season? If so, 90 pitches may not get 5 innings against a quality ACC foe. Does everyone do this? I noticed that in the Miami vs Florida series last weekend the UF starters went much deeper (119 pitches, 109 pitches), and I was wondering why their coaches take a different approach to pitch counts.

I have no problem pulling X with a 9 run lead and 6 shut out innings. In a tight ACC game, I would hope the pitch count would go higher. But no reason to overwork today.

Jake's count is 20-8 now. Not good. Throws 1 strike in the inning after a walk and get a GO. Then comes back with a SO. I think he'll be ok......

We have given up >=3 runs in EVERY game this year.

Update: Jake gets it going. SO the last two of the inning. Count up to 27-14. And no earned runs.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I definitely agree with pulling Curry today. No doubt. Was thinking about having him go deeper next weekend and hoping he's not on a strict pitch count then.

Lee did OK, but the ball strike ratio does worry me when we face better hitting teams. I would much rather these guys face tough competition now, not for the first time next weekend.

I do worry about King and do feel bad for him, with his family in town and all. I hope he gets another shot Sunday personally. We could really use him if he can come back later this year!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I definitely agree with pulling Curry today. No doubt. Was thinking about having him go deeper next weekend and hoping he's not on a strict pitch count then.

Lee did OK, but the ball strike ratio does worry me when we face better hitting teams. I would much rather these guys face tough competition now, not for the first time next weekend.

I do worry about King and do feel bad for him, with his family in town and all. I hope he gets another shot Sunday personally. We could really use him if he can come back later this year!
I would expect him to be on a strict pitch count until late March/early April.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Correction: 7-1. :happy:

Update 8-1:D

Here are the other ACC teams who wish they had taken care of business yesterday like we did (records going into game):
Pitt loss to 2-6 @ Woffard
VT loss to 3-3 Binghampton
Miami loss to 2-1 Dartmouth
NC State loss to 3-4 Rhode Island
ND loss to 1-5 Maryland
UNC loss to 4-4 Long Beach State

Not in the surprise category, but a 0-2 loss by Clemson to 6-3 USCe.

Ouch.

These were Friday losses when you're using one of your top 2 starting pitchers. Ouch again.

All losses except Pitt were at home. Ouch ouch again.