Belmont

How many times will GT beat Belmont this weekend?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 29.2%

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I would expect him to be on a strict pitch count until late March/early April.

So, just curious....why is it OK for the UF starters, who are major league prospects, to go 119 pitches on the weekend's second season, while other teams have their guys on strict pitch counts? I know there is no real answer to this, since it is all about the increasing number of arm injuries suffered by pitchers in recent years and everyone is guessing it is overuse when young. But I really wonders about this. The use of strict pitch counts doesn't seem to be helping much yet. And I am starting to wonder of maybe it's the opposite, that maybe in the "good old days" guys used to pitch until their arms fell off (starters used to pitch complete games...a lot...back then) and that maybe the pitch counts are having the opposite effect of what they are intended. I am no doctor, just a casual observer, but the pitch counts haven't help prevent many injuries at GT as far as I can see.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I wonder if the fact that pitchers used to go the whole game caused them to pace themselves better. This may have saved war and tear as opposed to throwing 100% as long as they can. And back then, the bullpen was made up, to a large extent, of starter wannabees, but not good enough.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
To me, the bigger problem is kids throwing curve balls too early in their development. I would put power pitchers on strict but increasing pitch counts until the weather was consistently warm. I would give "junk" pitchers much more leeway earlier.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Don Sutton used to say that pitchers from the South didn't last as long as pitchers from the north. Too many pitches between ages 9-21.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice start. This pitching makes me feel a bit bipolar.

Hughes is looking much better .... to B3 ~69% strikes @ 52-36. Belmont got a lead off double, followed by double right up the first base line and then really nice bunt. But they were all good hits.

Hughes then followed up with 4 SOs. Really nice movement and control. Getting into the groove.

Oh yeah, we are mauling them with hits and have a good defense. Damn this is nice.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I played travel baseball for 8 years and we had a couple of kids deal with arm injuries over that stretch, but they were hardly used when the injuries occurred. I think that the problem is that players today are a lot bigger and stronger through lifting heavier and more weights which is leading to more injuries. Kids really do not know how to lift weights properly and this is causing more wear and tear than throwing.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Nice start. This pitching makes me feel a bit bipolar.

Hughes is looking much better .... to B3 ~69% strikes @ 52-36. Belmont got a lead off double, followed by double right up the first base line and then really nice bunt. But they were all good hits.

Hughes then followed up with 4 SOs. Really nice movement and control. Getting into the groove.

Oh yeah, we are mauling them with hits and have a good defense. Damn this is nice.
I like how he settled down and limited the damage. I can live with a 2 run inning.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like how he settled down and limited the damage. I can live with a 2 run inning.

I can especially live with a 2 run inning when it is a outfield double to the hole, a line hugging hit and a really nice bunt.

Hughes done after 5 innings, 6 SO, 3 hits, 1 walk and 2 hit batters. 81-54 pitches for 67% strikes. Much much better.

Datoc on and throwing strikes....... 11-9 pitches for 2 SO & GO in the 6th. Nice.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Kel Johnson is your classic bomber, isn't he? He goes through stretches where he is hitting everything a mile, then strikes out a ton.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anybody (@GTNavyNuke ??) hear Wiley compare Craport's (I think it was Craport) line drive single off LF wall early in game? He said it was like an "Air Force" pilot being launched off an aircraft carrier. ...and all Naval aviators just shake their heads. :cool: I still like Wiley.

Yeah, the ball only accelerates for a very short period of time and then continually decelerates. Naval aviators wouldn't like that at all ........

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we can handle the jump to ACC ball next week end. What will you consider to be successful for the Miami series? For me 2 wins will be great, 1 win will be successful. Please don't get swept.
This is the way that I see it too, especially at Miami, I'm only expecting 1 or 2 wins. If it was in Atlanta, then I would expect 2 or 3 wins.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just hope we can handle the jump to ACC ball next week end. What will you consider to be successful for the Miami series? For me 2 wins will be great, 1 win will be successful. Please don't get swept.

Seeing as Miami has lost one to Rutgers and at least one to Dartmouth in a weekend series. We "have" to win at least one. If I put up the lead Miami post, I'll put in another prediction poll. Right now, I'd put us at two as successful ....... largely because of Miami's runs per game is pretty low (including outside of the Florida series). http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Miami-(FL)

But we have to take care of business today and K State on Tuesday. Belmont left 10 on base yesterday. A few more timely hits for Belmont and the game is a lot closer.

Plus today we have even more uncertainty about how the starting pitcher will perform. Our D and O should be just fine.......

Only one ACC team is now undefeated - L'Ville. And only GT and UVa have one loss. Yesterday was another frickin disaster for the ACC with 12 wins and 8 losses on the day. 15 of the 20 were home games.