Belmont

How many times will GT beat Belmont this weekend?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 29.2%

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters

Squints

Helluva Engineer
One question. I notice that Curry is pulled after 90 pitches. I also see his next start will be vs Miami. Are our guys on pitch counts this early in the season? If so, 90 pitches may not get 5 innings against a quality ACC foe. Does everyone do this? I noticed that in the Miami vs Florida series last weekend the UF starters went much deeper (119 pitches, 109 pitches), and I was wondering why their coaches take a different approach to pitch counts.

Well those guys have completed a full season of college baseball. Curry and Hughes haven't. It's probably better to limit their innings now so they don't hit a wall at the end of the season. And I said it another thread but one of those Florida starters is Alex Faedo who is a potential top-5 pick in the draft this year. Florida is going to ride him into the ground all year. But other than him their weekend starters haven't gotten out of the sixth inning with the exception of the one Miami start you mention so it's not too different than us.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
WREK has Jim Poole announcing with Wiley today ...... I think that's http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=Jim-Poole-1

Opening four pitch walk for Gibson. Time to warm someone up and pull him if he gets another.

Update: Howell finally out to visit Gibson after four batters. After 6 batters: 1 walk, one in field hit, two hits, a sac fly and another hit. Down 0-3 with two outs. Sad how poorly our third starter is doing.

FINALLY Hall pulls Gibson with a 1-0 count. Too many spiked balls.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe that Gibson just pitched himself out of the Sunday starter role. Parr needs to be there next week against Miami.
Reading between lines of something I heard CDH say regarding the weekend rotation before any games were played this weekend... I'd be SHOCKED if we don't see a new guy next Sunday. He seemed sure he needed good starts this weekend for guys to stay in place.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Baserunning blunder and inability to handle junk ball pitcher ends home 4th. Why do junk ballers who can change speed always baffle GT hitters? This guy had the highest ERA of any of their starters. We don't like junk ball pitchers.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not at all sure bringing Zac in at that point was the smartest play. I liked how Ben S was pitching and they weren't hitting him hard at all. Only one run comes in, but they hit Zac square.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, Fred got us one run in the 7th. I think we had better mount a rally in the 8th to get close to have a shot in the 9th

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, Belmont played a lot better than we did and deserved the 11-5 win. Our inability to throw strikes, two Kel errors and only hitting 2 for 12 with runners in scoring position contributed to the loss. We had the chances.

Hard to argue that with our inconsistent pitching we deserve to be top 25. It is very charitable of Baseball America to be the only service that has/had us there. Maybe we'll earn our way there at some point.