BC Post Game Melt Down Thread

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The current class is ranked #25 nationally overall.

We have 3 guys rated 5.5 or below. In 2014 for example, we had 13 guys rated at that level.
and kicked the crap out of Kentucky in a bowl game two years later with the guys from the class.

247 had the 2020 class at 27th.
the current class of commits is 39.
one spot behind Boston College.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you here. Curry got to the right spots, in the backfield no less, a number of times today. That suggests great preparation and logically good coaching.

The fact that he couldn't deliver on those noteworthy plays is frustrating for sure, and I don't know how to say this nicely, but it's a player thing at that point.

Curry is in because he's the best we got. Folks calling for the back-ups are basing it on very little other than hope and prayer. There is a specific back-up that many mention - he athletically jumps off the screen - and that very back-up is so frequently way out of position that folks don't recognize him as at fault for defensive breakdowns. Curry is at least reliably in position and optically that puts him in the position to remain the rented mule for fan boards.

The silver lining here is you can see how a well-coached, more athletic LB will be able to succeed in our defense. A few more TFLs will do wonders.
Agreed 100% Curry is by far the best we have in preparation and understanding of the game. But we aren't winning. He isn't at the level we need him as an athlete.

So we need to rotate the young guys in so they can start building the understanding Curry has due to his decade of being at GT😂.

We should be throwing in Meiguez and Wright in. Just so they can see the game speed and get some looks. We aren't winning 6 games this year so might as well build towards the future.

Curry will end up being a decent coach if he decides that route. Great understanding of the game, just not there as a player.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So what makes him prepared and well versed to run a program from the TO into a new offense while also trying to change the entire culture, while trying to get the city of Atlanta to buy in to its own school?

I'll pretend for one post that this is a good faith argument. There are several factors.

1: Recruiting reputation. He had a very high reputation of being a good recruiter dating back to his days as a coordinator and even before. Recruiting was the primary focus of the coaching search. This is also reflected in the choice of assistants that we put around him.

2: Familiarity with GT. He had two previous stops here including being a significant figure in recruiting our highest rated class in the recent past. This was important as understanding GT's situation and differences than most places is key to recruiting.

3: The topic isn't what makes him most prepared overall. It's what makes him most prepared of those willing to come here. I'd have loved to get Saban to come here and lead the transition. Somehow I don't think that was in the cards. Transitioning from the option when we were returning a small amount of production is not something that is super attractive to coaches.

4: He did a solid job at temple after a slight dip in year one.

to me anything shy of being undefeated in the AAC is mediocre in that conference.

Yeah, I know this is a troll post but you should make it a little less obvious.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm with you here. Curry got to the right spots, in the backfield no less, a number of times today. That suggests great preparation and logically good coaching.

The fact that he couldn't deliver on those noteworthy plays is frustrating for sure, and I don't know how to say this nicely, but it's a player thing at that point.

Curry is in because he's the best we got. Folks calling for the back-ups are basing it on very little other than hope and prayer. There is a specific back-up that many mention - he athletically jumps off the screen - and that very back-up is so frequently way out of position that folks don't recognize him as at fault for defensive breakdowns. Curry is at least reliably in position and optically that puts him in the position to remain the rented mule for fan boards.

The silver lining here is you can see how a well-coached, more athletic LB will be able to succeed in our defense. A few more TFLs will do wonders.
You can get away with never having your name called as a corner but it's not a good thing as a LB.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I'll pretend for one post that this is a good faith argument. There are several factors.

1: Recruiting reputation. He had a very high reputation of being a good recruiter dating back to his days as a coordinator and even before. Recruiting was the primary focus of the coaching search. This is also reflected in the choice of assistants that we put around him.

2: Familiarity with GT. He had two previous stops here including being a significant figure in recruiting our highest rated class in the recent past. This was important as understanding GT's situation and differences than most places is key to recruiting.

3: The topic isn't what makes him most prepared overall. It's what makes him most prepared of those willing to come here. I'd have loved to get Saban to come here and lead the transition. Somehow I don't think that was in the cards. Transitioning from the option when we were returning a small amount of production is not something that is super attractive to coaches.

Can you show us where recruiting was the primary focus? In fact, AD TSTAN has repeatedly said we need to develope our 3 stars into 5 stars (or something to that effect).

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

I understand that argument but why do we believe it will equal success? He came in with all this hype.

What will be a travesty is if we average top 25 recruiting classes with Collins and never really crack the top 25 during the season.

Yes, I can see that happening.

If you think we have the players to compete you’re wrong. Not yet. No one should even think of complaining until year 4.
Dont complain until year 4???? Give me a break, a decent sign of progress is not an unreasonable expectation for any program and other than a few bright spots on offensive, there has not been any. If we had no players to compete then how did we even win 2 games. The fact that we have is a sign that we have good enough players to not only compete, but to win games against teams that are equally as talented as us is a solid expectation. Not get boat raced by two mediocre teams.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
He went 7-5 year 1, and 8-4 in year 2. In a program established by Rhule.
Collins took over a 10-4 2016 Temple team... expectations were for him to not screw it up. So at least he did that?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I'm mad at the coaching staff too. The last one. Look at the ATL chart:

How many Juniors and Seniors at DT do we have that were recruited by the last staff? None.

How many Juniors and Seniors do we have at DE recruited by the last staff? One. And he doesn't start.

The starting right side of our OL--how many were recruited by the last staff? None.

How many LB's do we have that were recruited by the last staff and have P5 speed? One--sorry I can't count Howard since he really hasn't played, and has no experience at LB anyway.

Football is a line of scrimmage game. It's also a game where physical development and experience count. Most of the posts in this thread are a display of football ignorance. This staff was dealt a bad hand by the last staff, but you don't hear Collins complaining about it.

Collins was nominated for the Broyles award at three different schools as a DC. Do you people really believe that he doesn't know how to coach a defense? He is a coach, not a miracle worker. He can't use the players that the last staff failed to sign. He is trying through the transfer route, but that takes time too.
Brian VanGorder was nominated for the Broyles too.
And he's a *******. The last time we saw him, PJ's offense put up 59 points (in a 66-31 blowout) on his butt.
PJ did recruit Chris Martin. who opted out, and TK Chimedza, who's hurt. He also recruited Jordan Woods, a 4 star DE per rivals, who didn't stay. he also recruited Kelton Dawson and Cortez Alston, two DEs who also have left the program, IIRC.He also recruited Justice Dingle, a rivals 4 star DE, and Luke Johns at DE, who also has left, and Jordan Domineck.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Actually its not. Looking back before dumba$$ Bobby dodd died on the cross leaving the SEC.
Are you really bringing Bobby Dodd and the SEC into this conversation? Jeeeezzussss.

Tech has won 10+ games 9 times out of 119 seasons. That means that about 7.5% of seasons all time have ended with 10+ wins.

4 of those 10 win seasons have happened since Tech left the SEC in 1964. That’s 4 out of 56, which works out to about 7% of seasons.

The last 10 win season in the SEC was in 1956. The 10 years after that season that Bobby Dodd remained the coach, Tech won 9 games once, 7 games 5 times, 5 games twice, and 4 and 6 games one time each.

Since that same 10 win season in 1956, Tech has only won more than 8 games 11 times. That’s about 19.6% of seasons. If you add in the 8 win seasons it gets to 15 seasons and about 26.7%.

So with all of that being said, winning 8 games is not normal at Tech. On average a 4 year player will only have one 8 win season. Historically a 10 win year at Tech is more rare than a national championship at Alabama.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for sharing this, BUT, this isn’t the only student-athlete who is faced w/ similar family decisions post-season.

There seems to be a lot more transfers these days, esp as it seems to have gotten easier for them to move and not have to sit out a year. If history is an indicator, then there will very likely be some roster losses and gains, some expected and some surprises, at most colleges in 2020 & 2021.

What we normally don’t see, however, is a parent (or relative) posting a disparaging remark (on social media) about the school that gave their son a scholarship. A free education at a prestigious university. It certainly doesn’t look good for the image of the program, but maybe this person has had some other issues with the coaching staff and finally became frustrated. But, if they have an issue w/ the coaches, then discuss it directly w/ them, don’t vent your spleen on social media. Did this kid’s team win every game in HS? Probably not. Losing is part of life, as is not getting your way all the time. How did they handle losing before? Wonder if the same remarks would be made if it were a winning program?

Sometimes making posts such as these have the opposite effect of their intent, and it could cause a bigger division w/ the coaching staff. It’s similar to the batter who complains about the strike zone, and the next time they bat the zone has been expanded even further.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Are you really bringing Bobby Dodd and the SEC into this conversation? Jeeeezzussss.

Tech has won 10+ games 9 times out of 119 seasons. That means that about 7.5% of seasons all time have ended with 10+ wins.

4 of those 10 win seasons have happened since Tech left the SEC in 1964. That’s 4 out of 56, which works out to about 7% of seasons.

The last 10 win season in the SEC was in 1956. The 10 years after that season that Bobby Dodd remained the coach, Tech won 9 games once, 7 games 5 times, 5 games twice, and 4 and 6 games one time each.

Since that same 10 win season in 1956, Tech has only won more than 8 games 11 times. That’s about 19.6% of seasons. If you add in the 8 win seasons it gets to 15 seasons and about 26.7%.

So with all of that being said, winning 8 games is not normal at Tech. On average a 4 year player will only have one 8 win season. Historically a 10 win year at Tech is more rare than a national championship at Alabama.
Kind of makes you miss what we had doesn't it?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

Which is 100% a problem.

Clemson flipped their program around. I fully expect us to be able to.

We need the alumni to give blindly, and to cheat a little.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What doesn't make sense?
Collins said this is the biggest transition in college football history from the TO to "modern football". What makes Collins qualified to lead that change? The idea is, what did he do previously as a head coach to make him the guy to successfully lead us to the promise land? He was mediocre at Temple. (To me anything shy of being undefeated in the AAC is mediocre in that conference.) So what makes him prepared and well versed to run a program from the TO into a new offense while also trying to change the entire culture, while trying to get the city of Atlanta to buy in to its own school?

I commend him for trying, but every game we are down by 21+ I start to think this will fail and we will look back in 20 years and say " I wish that worked, he had the passion". Passion doesn't always equal success. You can have a huge passion for singing but if you suck at singing you suck.

Collins is a great at marketing and coddling players. Being a HC seems to be a huge question mark.

What are the expectations with him? 6-7 win seasons with the occasional 8-9 win season?

It’s the combination of wanting instant gratification and delusional expectations. That makes no sense. Stars of the DBs don’t mean when the front 7 is bad

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for sharing this, BUT, this isn’t the only student-athlete who is faced w/ similar family decisions post-season.

There seems to be a lot more transfers these days, esp as it seems to have gotten easier for them to move and not have to sit out a year. If history is an indicator, then there will very likely be some roster losses and gains, some expected and some surprises, at most colleges in 2020 & 2021.

What we normally don’t see, however, is a parent (or relative) posting a disparaging remark (on social media) about the school that gave their son a scholarship. A free education at a prestigious university. It certainly doesn’t look good for the image of the program, but maybe this person has had some other issues with the coaching staff and finally became frustrated. But, if they have an issue w/ the coaches, then discuss it directly w/ them, don’t vent your spleen on social media. Did this kid’s team win every game in HS? Probably not. Losing is part of life, as is not getting your way all the time. How did they handle losing before? Wonder if the same remarks would be made if it were a winning program?

Sometimes making posts such as these have the opposite effect of their intent, and it could cause a bigger division w/ the coaching staff. It’s similar to the batter who complains about the strike zone, and the next time they bat the zone has been expanded even further.
If we looked half competent on the field im sure no one would say anything.

I think he is simply saying when you're first 3 strings of defense are getting their brains beat in, might as well play everyone and see how they do. No harm in that.