Back up QB

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Correct, I said in 13 months. We currently have 1 guy at the AB position getting playing time thats an underclassman (Cottrell). I think you never really know how things will turn out with any given player or injuries. So if you have a position where you rotate 4 guys and in 13 months everybody but 1 who currently plays will be gone, you need some depth. And right now we only have 3 underclassmen scholarship ABs and we have 2 in the current recruiting class. I'm just saying I think it wouldn't hurt to take 1 more this year if we can find one.

I think this was a bit of an issue in 2015. One of the many reasons 2014 was so special was our team of deeply veteran A-backs. One of the many reasons 2015 was the opposite of special was our team of brand new A-backs. Remember against UGA when JT tried to pitch to an A-back who wasn't there? :confused:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
$ame way they get all of their other 4 and 5 $tar recruit$--mo$t of whom have no connection to South Carolina-- to come to an unimpre$$ive campu$ that is exciting only $ix day$ a year.

That program did not come up that far that fast because of Dabo, and the area is not exactly a mecca for young African Americans. He's a good recruiter, but he is not that good.

So many Tech fans love to roll out the academic excuse, but GT is far more impressive than a Clemson or similar campus, and Atlanta has far more to offer. We have lots of recruiting advantages over other schools. But there are $ome thing$ we can't overcome.
Don't know the guy personally but I do know someone who does outside the football program. I value his judgment and it is that the charge of buying players is nonsense. People want to say it but asked to provide proof, head for the hills. Clemson is as clean as GT., and in fact Tech had the latest NCAA charge (Thomas years ago.) Unfortunately some Techsters still have their heads in the sand about course offerings because that is a major drawing card for athletes, whether Tech, Clemson or Stanford. The money charge is a copout. Which leaves the question: why the QB difference?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Don't know the guy personally but I do know someone who does outside the football program. I value his judgment and it is that the charge of buying players is nonsense. People want to say it but asked to provide proof, head for the hills. Clemson is as clean as GT., and in fact Tech had the latest NCAA charge (Thomas years ago.) Unfortunately some Techsters still have their heads in the sand about course offerings because that is a major drawing card for athletes, whether Tech, Clemson or Stanford. The money charge is a copout. Which leaves the question: why the QB difference?

The difference I see is that Clemson QBs are making it in the NFL. getting Watson started it for Dabo and he's building on that! Nothing mysterious or underhanded IMO

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Mmmmmmm, maybe. We typically like to rotate at least 4 of them. In 13 months, we will not have JJ Green, Clinton Lynch, or Qua Searcy. We will have 5 scholarship ABs, including the 2 in the current class.
Omari Jarrett (rs junior next year)
Xavier Gantt (rs sophomore next year)
Jordan Ponchez-Mason (rs freshman next year)
Tijai Whatley (true freshman next year)
Dontae Smith (true freshman next year)

Most importantly, none of them have had any real playing time yet.

So I think we could probably stand to take 1 more in this class.

We might have JJ and in 13 months we still have Cottrell , Rew, and Turner. I had rather have another OL or DL.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately some Techsters still have their heads in the sand about course offerings because that is a major drawing card for athletes, whether Tech, Clemson or Stanford. The money charge is a copout. Which leaves the question: why the QB difference?

Well that and recruiting ability of our coach.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Correct, I said in 13 months. We currently have 1 guy at the AB position getting playing time thats an underclassman (Cottrell). I think you never really know how things will turn out with any given player or injuries. So if you have a position where you rotate 4 guys and in 13 months everybody but 1 who currently plays will be gone, you need some depth. And right now we only have 3 underclassmen scholarship ABs and we have 2 in the current recruiting class. I'm just saying I think it wouldn't hurt to take 1 more this year if we can find one.
Yep, but one new guy should get playing time next year with JJ being gone so hopefully that helps.