Back up QB

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
JJ isn't moving to another position, for the umpteenth time.

But this stuff about him not being at Tech next year needs to be clarified.

I really haven't heard a lot about that but given the competition I wouldn't be shocked if he let. Between LJ and TO that a 3 way log jam of talent. Hope he stays as whoever wins the back QB spot is going to be a special one.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Even if that's true, CPJ doesn't want to move him. When asked about him playin another position, he said he's a QB. Almost with a confidence , like y'all don't even understand how good he can be. I think he gave a little chuckle.

Never said I thought he should move, just posting what I've heard from others. See what I just posted about him and the other backup QBs

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I used to coach Pony League baseball and I improved the "arm strength" of several pitchers by cleaning up their mechanical problems. QBs have the same issues. When Godsey was getting ready to take over at QB, the Fridge told him to stop sidearming the ball if he wanted to start. Sure bet, he worked on it, stopped doing it, and looked like a changed man back there. TM still sidearms the ball occasionally, just like Nesbitt did. And he does it the same situations: short throws or when he's under duress. When he throws long, all this disappears, just like it did with Nesbitt. If he can get over this, I think everyone will be wondering where all the extra arm strength came from.

But, yes, he'll never be a Joe Hamilton. There are limits.
A friend told me the starting QB from Clemson has mechanical issues involving hip and shoulder turn in the throw -- he apparently opens up too quickly. They are working to fix them and apparently he is trying his best. But the No. 2 guy there has the gun, No. 3 is very good, and they have a 5-star recruited for next year. Really two issues, I guess. Mechanics and how you fix them. And how does Clemson recruit so many 4-5 star QBs -- next year they will be four deep in them -- and yet there is never a transfer issue? Apparently they are all told during the process there's no guarantees, the best man wins, and still they sign and stay. Are they just more competitive than our backups? (And I get it that all this talk about xferring next year is just board babble.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think next year will be an open competition at QB again, with JJ, LJ, and TM.
If one believes the coaches -- I know, I know, they are coaches -- then every year is in theory open. I recall Johnson saying a couple of times that every year he left QB open for somebody to beat Washington out, but nobody ever could. That might be the issue. But I sure would like to get through '17 first. Next, Duke.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
JJ isn't moving to another position, for the umpteenth time.

But this stuff about him not being at Tech next year needs to be clarified.

It came from Rivals. An insider over there thinks JJ may be out after this season and that LJ has the maturity and athleticism to take over after marshall.

We know we're going to lose one of these QB, we're just too deep at that position. I am firmly on the LJ train, but JJ's athleticism is undeniable. I hope he pushes at least through Spring to get a fair shake into next year then move on afterward if he's buried on the depth chart. He's too athletic not to see the field somewhere.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
LJ won't be going anywhere. JJ has been leaving an obvious trail this entire year that he probably will not be in White and Gold next year. I attribute it to us being flush at the position as well as lack of maturity plus him having sub par hands. I wish CPJ could work him on the field somewhere somehow just to see him in actual game play but I highly doubt we will get to see that and that is a loss for everyone.
What trail has he been leaving?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If one of those QB's transfers they are just being foolish and shortsighted. Even if Taquon is the starter next year, one of the other two could win out and have two years as a starter. You know...funny thing is that most good programs don't have a freshman starting at QB every four years...or any position for that matter. Instead they redshirt freshmen, develop talent, and start upper classmen. I really hope we can do that some day under this system. The only frustrating thing about this year is that we haven't been able to play the backup QB's much at all, when in fact I feel like we should have had several games where we should have had big leads late in the game to allow us to do so.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I was watching warmups, and I think JJ throws a better ball, and has a lot smoother throwing motion than LJ. Spiral is much tighter then LJ's and velocity on certain balls and placement were better also. I get it, its only warmups, but JJ looks much better to me. I'd take JJ over LJ any day based on athletic ability. Really hope JJ does not leave, he's a special talent, would love to see him mature and grow more. Great problem to have with backups with such high potential. Sucks we haven't beat opponents badly enough this year to really see them in action. Just my take on what i saw. Go Jackets

Great first post! Welcome to the forum, Jay!

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's what I'm really curious about - how are the QB's actually graded? I would think it would be in 4 areas: pre-snap reads, footwork/execution, post-snap reads, passing.

Pre-snap: It frustrates me that it seems like the pre-snap reads is something most of our QB's have struggled with and continue to struggle with even after they've been the starter. CPJ calls this "getting us into the right play". Why is this more complicated than just plain old flash cards? Give the QB a call from the AB, and he calls the play, show him a picture of a defensive alignment, and then he has to go with the play or swap into 1 of 2 checks. Even with all of Johnson's myriad blocking schemes this shouldn't be that hard. But we routinely take stupid timeouts because we can't get into the right play. I'm convinced that's a coaching issue and not a player issue. CPJ needs better rules of play selection so that no matter what a defense is showing the QB, he can walk up and see it, and say bam we're running this, or checking into that. If the read is unclear, there should be a rule for going with the "safe" play or something like that. But it should be straightforward enough that 1 year in the program and you have this part of the offense on lockdown. It's ridiculous to me that we burn on average 2 time outs a game because we can't get the pre-snap read right.

Footwork/execution: this is more than just actual footwork when taking snap, what would fall into this category is just general "knowing where to go". But certainly included is actual footwork. All of our QBs should have pictures, video, heck a big tarp with actual numbered steps on it, something so that they can practice this part on their own without help. Having played golf I know that doing a lot of this stuff it really helps to have instant feedback with either a mirror or a video camera. So you can go through the motions and then go look and see if you did what you thought you were telling your body to do. There's only so many steps our QBs have to take, this shouldn't be unreasonable to learn in the first year you're in the system. Whether it's opening up to read the mesh, twirling on counter plays, proper angle for attacking the second read on the triple, or dropping back to pass. The footwork and knowing where to go shouldn't be hard, just a matter of repetition. Also in here would be things like proper mesh technique, hand placement, how to hold the ball for the pitch, etc.

Post-snap reads: this to me, is probably the hardest thing to teach, just because it's often a weird blur between some decision tree rules, but also there's just a certain "feel" aspect to it. But again, there's only so many of these actual reads. This should really be the only place where our QBs start to separate themselves from one another. The first two parts SHOULD be dead nuts even across all of the QBs. If I was LJ or JJ or Tobias I'd be begging team mates to let me work on practicing the mesh and pitch reads. The biggest thing that helps here is repetition. Just doing it over and over and over again. I'm sure the coaches have ways to simulate this and make the read harder so that it's easier in the actual game. I don't know what the QBs are thinking but man I'd have to have coach jump down my throat more than once to keep me from standing right next to him throughout every single game trying to devour as much information as possible. "Coach, after every play call tell me what we are running and why, what are we hoping to leverage with each play call?" Granted, that's probably not quite what coach wants to do, but rather than him just pacing and watching, I'd be hoping he'd be feeding me the intel. THEN, if QB1 has to come out for a play, bam I'm right there ready to go in. Not only that, but I'm involved in the flow of the offense and have a darn good idea about what we are doing and why. Even if coach chases you off, stand by Tevin and ask him all of the same stuff. The goal being to work oneself into an extension of PJ onto the field. The QB should know what PJ is going to call next and only very rarely be surprised.

Passing: I think we over-complicate the crap out of our passing game for our QBs. Something. I don't know. How many times over the last decade have we watched our QB drop back and then NOT throw to the guy who is WIDE FREAKING OPEN??? Way too many times. That's how many. I don't know if we just aren't looking, or it's something about the way they're being coached, or what. But it's happened so much across multiple QBs. IF, they did nothing but just see the open guy, our passing stats would be way better. Granted, if you've put in the work to be QB1 from those first three phases, you've done a LOT. But this area right here is what separates the men from the boys. We only run a handful of routes though. Surely our guys can watch tape and know hey, it's either here or here on any given play, other than that tuck and run and get what you can. The only other area they can really improve is throwing guys open. JT had a knack for this.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
Mmmmmmm, maybe. We typically like to rotate at least 4 of them. In 13 months, we will not have JJ Green, Clinton Lynch, or Qua Searcy. We will have 5 scholarship ABs, including the 2 in the current class.
Omari Jarrett (rs junior next year)
Xavier Gantt (rs sophomore next year)
Jordan Ponchez-Mason (rs freshman next year)
Tijai Whatley (true freshman next year)
Dontae Smith (true freshman next year)

Most importantly, none of them have had any real playing time yet.

So I think we could probably stand to take 1 more in this class.
Qua has one more year. I made that mistake as well.

Deleted member 2897

So does lynch, he was talking about those guys will be gone after next season is over and they are our top 3 guys.

Correct, I said in 13 months. We currently have 1 guy at the AB position getting playing time thats an underclassman (Cottrell). I think you never really know how things will turn out with any given player or injuries. So if you have a position where you rotate 4 guys and in 13 months everybody but 1 who currently plays will be gone, you need some depth. And right now we only have 3 underclassmen scholarship ABs and we have 2 in the current recruiting class. I'm just saying I think it wouldn't hurt to take 1 more this year if we can find one.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
And how does Clemson recruit so many 4-5 star QBs -- next year they will be four deep in them -- and yet there is never a transfer issue?

$ame way they get all of their other 4 and 5 $tar recruit$--mo$t of whom have no connection to South Carolina-- to come to an unimpre$$ive campu$ that is exciting only $ix day$ a year.

That program did not come up that far that fast because of Dabo, and the area is not exactly a mecca for young African Americans. He's a good recruiter, but he is not that good.

So many Tech fans love to roll out the academic excuse, but GT is far more impressive than a Clemson or similar campus, and Atlanta has far more to offer. We have lots of recruiting advantages over other schools. But there are $ome thing$ we can't overcome.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
$ame way they get all of their other 4 and 5 $tar recruit$--mo$t of whom have no connection to South Carolina-- to come to an unimpre$$ive campu$ that is exciting only $ix day$ a year.

That program did not come up that far that fast because of Dabo, and the area is not exactly a mecca for young African Americans. He's a good recruiter, but he is not that good.

So many Tech fans love to roll out the academic excuse, but GT is far more impressive than a Clemson or similar campus, and Atlanta has far more to offer. We have lots of recruiting advantages over other schools. But there are $ome thing$ we can't overcome.

You know I have no love from Clemson but to insinuate they pay their players sounds like sour grapes to me. Now if you're talking about the money they put into the program that's one things, if you're saying they're paying their recruits/players that a whole nuther ball game.