Back up QB

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Yes, everybody’s favorite topic and kind of surprised nobody notice it at the VT game. With MJ out for the game, we now know who has the lead between the two redshirt freshman. LJ was the backup. I don’t know if there was an official announcement, but when the O was on the field LJ had his helmet on standing near coach and JJ didn’t have his helmet on. With the rule that if your helmet comes off you have to come out for one play the #2 QB must always be ready to go in if TM’s helmet comes off. In previous games both LJ and JJ wouldn’t wear their helmets. Also, during warmups LJ was running with #2 AB.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Yes, everybody’s favorite topic and kind of surprised nobody notice it at the VT game. With MJ out for the game, we now know who has the lead between the two redshirt freshman. LJ was the backup. I don’t know if there was an official announcement, but when the O was on the field LJ had his helmet on standing near coach and JJ didn’t have his helmet on. With the rule that if your helmet comes off you have to come out for one play the #2 QB must always be ready to go in if TM’s helmet comes off. In previous games both LJ and JJ wouldn’t wear their helmets. Also, during warmups LJ was running with #2 AB.
Jay was fielding punts in pregame warmups too.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, Lucas is the holder now that King is kicking, so he might have the helmet on for that too.
How did both of them look in warmups passing the ball?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Well, Lucas is the holder now that King is kicking, so he might have the helmet on for that too.
How did both of them look in warmups passing the ball?
Yea, but not at the beginning of the drive on our side of the field. LJ looked good throwing, he has a nice smooth delivery that looks effortless.

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
...he has a nice smooth delivery that looks effortless.
Yeah, but how does it look when he is running full speed? Just kidding. There have been a few times where an actual pocket existed but we didn’t use it or couldn’t see the open guys. That presence will come with experience.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Eh, good to know, but maybe Johnson knows JJ is special and is getting an extra year out him. At his current experience level, he may be only marginally better than LJ, and if that was the case I'd RS him rather than play him for a slight benefit.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Eh, good to know, but maybe Johnson knows JJ is special and is getting an extra year out him. At his current experience level, he may be only marginally better than LJ, and if that was the case I'd RS him rather than play him for a slight benefit.

Jay Jones already used his RS year last year.

Tobias Oliver is the QB redshirting this season.

One of them will transfer this off-season. I’d put money on it.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope JJ stays:cool:

Many rumblings on this one Mike. I do not think that JJ will be here next year. It will probably boil down to a factor with maturity from all the actions JJ has had this year. Unfortunate too as he has a great skillset to be a potential awesome QB! His hands are not that good though if you are fielding practice punts and you drop them. Kinda limits him to either be a DB or QB and we are slap full of both!

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Many rumblings on this one Mike. I do not think that JJ will be here next year. It will probably boil down to a factor with maturity from all the actions JJ has had this year. Unfortunate too as he has a great skillset to be a potential awesome QB! His hands are not that good though if you are fielding practice punts and you drop them. Kinda limits him to either be a DB or QB and we are slap full of both!
If he leaves GT he might as well transfer to Tennessee because the new head coach will need a quarterback(y);)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm not sure why anyone ever thought JJ was ahead of LJ. We're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. LJ is probably most ready as a top backup right now but JJ is probably the most likely starter in 2 years. Some guys just don't have the patient to wait and realize they'll get 2 solid years with the reigns if they're just patient.

Pretty much the same scenario we've had the past 2 years at WR. Brad is clearly our #2 but Camp is probably our best replacement for Jeune next year over BS. Luckily, you can rotate at WR and not so much at QB.

kalld12

Banned
Personally, I was watching warmups, and I think JJ throws a better ball, and has a lot smoother throwing motion than LJ. Spiral is much tighter then LJ's and velocity on certain balls and placement were better also. I get it, its only warmups, but JJ looks much better to me. I'd take JJ over LJ any day based on athletic ability. Really hope JJ does not leave, he's a special talent, would love to see him mature and grow more. Great problem to have with backups with such high potential. Sucks we haven't beat opponents badly enough this year to really see them in action. Just my take on what i saw. Go Jackets