B Back Transfer - Patrick Skov

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
Was gonna say but it's been mentioned that he did in fact run the same basic principles of mesh etc that we run At tech, js, it might have a different terminology than we use or we might call it differently, but step wise it's almost identical, he's a smart guy I don't see it being that hard of a transition, what I see as being hard is relearning ball handling skills, that have not really been used since he left high school, not saying it will be a problem, just saying it will be some reteaching of hand positioning and reps but it can be done, cpj is a perfectionist, he will rep something that he wants fixed and done his way until u can do it in your sleep js from personal experience

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Skov will be playing at a position that regularly piles up over 1000 yds a year and behind an experienced talented line with a dangerous quarterback that defenses must contend with. Even if he doesn't break off many long runs it is reasonable to expect that if he plays, he will get plenty of yards.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So, in summary, we all like this guy and feel he will be good for different reasons, maturity, leadership qualities, intelligence and integrity, and the fact that he could very well be the most physical B-back we have ever had. Some are concerned with his lack of carries but others chalk that up to the Stanford offensive philosophy, pointing out that a player like Days probably would not have gotten many chances either. We also acknowledge that we now have a beast of an offensive line and it would be difficult for any athlete who knows his way around a football to not get good yardage behind them.

And last but not least, CPJ had another running back at Kentucky with "far better statistics" that he was not at all interested in when Skov became available to Tech. I am trusting the coach on this one. And I am so excited about this season.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
So, in summary, we all like this guy and feel he will be good for different reasons, maturity, leadership qualities, intelligence and integrity, and the fact that he could very well be the most physical B-back we have ever had. Some are concerned with his lack of carries but others chalk that up to the Stanford offensive philosophy, pointing out that a player like Days probably would not have gotten many chances either. We also acknowledge that we now have a beast of an offensive line and it would be difficult for any athlete who knows his way around a football to not get good yardage behind them.

And last but not least, CPJ had another running back at Kentucky with "far better statistics" that he was not at all interested in when Skov became available to Tech. I am trusting the coach on this one. And I am so excited about this season.
Yup. I am excited to see what he can do. I thought Allen was great in the spring game, if we could find a duo to tag team the position by fall we are going to be hard to stop. I especially liked bringing in a fresh BB in the uga game to run it down their throats in the second half.

GT_Johnnybodkin

Jolly Good Fellow
So this will be like having Mike Cox running from bback spot?

Definitely not. Mike Cox was 255 lbs and was a bonafide fullback. I honestly think P. Skov will be like a stronger Laskey- probably not as agile though. I remember when we signed Laskey and I thought we got him just to keep Jeff Greene. Who would have thought that 2* at the time would be so good. :p

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Another one of those "we'll have to wait and see" kinda things. Pass protection. From what my uneducated eyes see, the B back often is left to pick up the first unblocked rusher. Many passes or gotten off or not partly depending on whether the B back was successful in keeping somebody out. Maybe this guy's game day experience will help us here.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I just watched their offensive possessions in their bowl game against Michigan State, and PSkov only played special teams.

I think it's pretty clear why he wanted to get out of that situation.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I'm buying in because the more knowledgeable seem all in, and for sure Johnson has proved he knows his territory. I do find Skov intriguing since he is coming after four years in a big time, tough-minded and highly competitive college program and he will see or hear nothing he has not seen or heard before. He could add a real leadership element to a very young backfield/WR corps, and even Thomas may need bracing up occasionally, somebody to help take the pressure off. Let's start playing.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I'm buying in because the more knowledgeable seem all in, and for sure Johnson has proved he knows his territory. I do find Skov intriguing since he is coming after four years in a big time, tough-minded and highly competitive college program and he will see or hear nothing he has not seen or heard before. He could add a real leadership element to a very young backfield/WR corps, and even Thomas may need bracing up occasionally, somebody to help take the pressure off. Let's start playing.
Agreed. CPJ has shown an uncanny, almost unbelievable ability to project guy's potential in his offense. If he thinks Skov is a good fit, I am pretty sure the potential is there. As far as I am concerned Skov shows a lot of mental and physical toughness choosing to come play BBack at GT. The school is hard, the work ethic is high, and the punishment is real at that position so he is coming in eyes open and aware of what that will be. I think he will add a real dose of maturity to the team/position.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Fwiw, Gerhart finished at Stanford during Harbough's time, i'm not sure if Shaw has a different philosopy on RB's but when i looked at the starting rosters for the past 3 years and projected for this season and all his starting rb's are in the 195-210 range. Lets face it Days most likely would not have been a starting tailback there or at any other major college program running pro-style or spread-read offenses, never would have gotten the chance imo.
Honestly, Days would not have gotten the chance he got at Tech if not for Laskey's injury.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, Days would not have gotten the chance he got at Tech if not for Laskey's injury.
Not sure. I think his growth as a runner is kind of lost. The Days of the first three years? Maybe not. The Days of '14? Maybe so. He sure was bouncing out of and into running gaps and put together some impressive jaunts. The injury to Laskey might have helped him but somehow I just don't see him sitting all that much and we had a good six-pack of Abacks. Don't think his ability is getting the respect it earned.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure. I think his growth as a runner is kind of lost. The Days of the first three years? Maybe not. The Days of '14? Maybe so. He sure was bouncing out of and into running gaps and put together some impressive jaunts. The injury to Laskey might have helped him but somehow I just don't see him sitting all that much and we had a good six-pack of Abacks. Don't think his ability is getting the respect it earned.
I love Laskey and Days. I just don't think we would have seen how good Synjyn was if not for Zach's injury. He simply wouldn't have gotten the carries he ended up with.