B Back Transfer - Patrick Skov

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Skov could be a good back in our offense, but nothing in his history indicate justification for the optimism in this thread. Yeah. He could be just what we needed. He could also be a reliable but seldom used backup.

Why NOT be optimistic? Nobody is saying the guy is going to win the Heisman. Days is proof that the right guy can learn the position quickly and even excel at it.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I seldom post, but frequently lurk multiple GT boards. If you get a chance, you should check out Skov's HUDL vid from HS and think about the how Skov's senior vid compares with various vids from the stellar class that CPJ signed in February. Then, EXTRAPOLATE from the vid and project how much bigger/stronger Skov will be now that he'll be coming to Tech as a man working on his post-grad MBA.

Additionally, I forget which board I've seen this on, but there's another vid of Skov from Stanford where he he maxes out bench pressing 225# at 29 reps. 29 reps! I've seen another post comparing his 40 times to Laskey and Days. It's in the ballpark. Sorry I don't have links to these various vids and posts, but I swear on a stack I've seen the HUDL vid and the bench press vid. Yeah, dis gonna' be gud.

(And, yes, I have drunk the Kool-Aid. :) )

HS Highlights:

Mostly LB highlights, but those do show he's got good vision and physicality (Or had them 4 years ago). Nice Offensive highlights at (roughly) 2:00, 2:10, 4:20, 5:30 and 6:30. The one at 2:10 is especially nice. B-Back style inside run, doesn't see daylight, so he bowls over a couple defenders for yardage. Also, at 4:20.

Yeah, add 4 years of maturity, size and experience to that... He could be a very nice fit.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Good to hear. My fiancee had a class with him in 2013 and said he slept through the whole class.

She had nothing but good things to say about her class with Synjyn though so hopefully last year has changed Jabari's ways. Sure looks like it.

I fell asleep at least once in every class I took at Georgia Tech. It's what you do outside of class that matters more, but being in class is very helpful. To be fair I feel bad about falling asleep because I think it's really rude, sometimes it would just sneak attack me...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So, what's the deal with scholly numbers now? Does he have one guaranteed at this point or does he have to wait till we invariably lose somebody to attrition?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I said it earlier, don't expect fireworks from this guy if he does come to GT. Some want to say that he has great potential because he played fullback at Stanford and that somehow translates to being a good BB. I think that's a false assumption. The reason I say that is: Toby Gerhart.

Stanford has proven that in their "pro system" they will use that big bruising back and make them a feature runner. Gerhart piled up yardage at Stanford and he was a classic straight ahead battering ram.

Fwiw, Gerhart finished at Stanford during Harbough's time, i'm not sure if Shaw has a different philosopy on RB's but when i looked at the starting rosters for the past 3 years and projected for this season and all his starting rb's are in the 195-210 range. Lets face it Days most likely would not have been a starting tailback there or at any other major college program running pro-style or spread-read offenses, never would have gotten the chance imo.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
HS Highlights:

Mostly LB highlights, but those do show he's got good vision and physicality (Or had them 4 years ago). Nice Offensive highlights at (roughly) 2:00, 2:10, 4:20, 5:30 and 6:30. The one at 2:10 is especially nice. B-Back style inside run, doesn't see daylight, so he bowls over a couple defenders for yardage. Also, at 4:20.

Yeah, add 4 years of maturity, size and experience to that... He could be a very nice fit.

Thanks!! He's running out of flexbone base on some of those, suggesting that he already knows our base offense. It may be that his High School coach had been to CPJ clinics, another possible reason for preferring Skov over others.

As far as last year's production is concerned, I think some may not be considering the data fully. He wasn't being used much. It seems to me that he was more of a short yardage/3rd down back than anything else.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Fullbacks rarely carry the ball in a lot of pro style schemes and are mostly used as a blocker. When they do tote the rock, it is usually in short yardage situations like @AE 87 mentioned above. This guy seems like he's worth a shot. I'm glad we are picking him up.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
SF player suggests Harbaugh "might be clinically insane"

It was Alex Boone who said that and as a 49er fan I'd reccomend taking that quote with more than a grain of salt. Boone's a blockhead. Harbaugh saved his career. Before he left he was all over Harbaugh's jock strap. Now he trashes him. There's some definite sour grapes because he held out before this season and Harbaugh didn't go to bat for him. Other players have called him out on his comments. It was also disappointing as a fan to hear him say they "got over the mountain" when they hadn't actually won the Super Bowl. God forbid your coach wants to win it all and demands a lot from someone who gets paid millions dollars. Especially after you hold out and then plays like **** when you come back.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It was Alex Boone who said that and as a 49er fan I'd reccomend taking that quote with more than a grain of salt. Boone's a blockhead. Harbaugh saved his career. Before he left he was all over Harbaugh's jock strap. Now he trashes him. There's some definite sour grapes because he held out before this season and Harbaugh didn't go to bat for him. Other players have called him out on his comments. It was also disappointing as a fan to hear him say they "got over the mountain" when they hadn't actually won the Super Bowl. God forbid your coach wants to win it all and demands a lot from someone who gets paid millions dollars. Especially after you hold out and then plays like **** when you come back.
Dunno personally, but I have talked to one guy who heard him described in far less flattering terms ... and coached with him in college.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, Gerhart finished at Stanford during Harbough's time, i'm not sure if Shaw has a different philosopy on RB's but when i looked at the starting rosters for the past 3 years and projected for this season and all his starting rb's are in the 195-210 range. Lets face it Days most likely would not have been a starting tailback there or at any other major college program running pro-style or spread-read offenses, never would have gotten the chance imo.

Shaw was still the Offensive Coordinator. He would have heavy input into the personnel of his offense. My point with Gerhart wasn't that Skov is like Gerhart, but that if Skov had the same running skillset in that "fullback body" (like Gerhart), Stanford would have found a way got give him more carries. That goes for any player at any position...if you're good enough to warrant seeing the ball more, you would get the ball more. Instead, Stanford felt he was more useful plowing the way for the ball carrier.

As for Days, if he wasn't a viable RB option in other systems, NFL teams would not be working him out. Last I checked, no one else runs CPJ's spread option in the NFL.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Shaw was still the Offensive Coordinator. He would have heavy input into the personnel of his offense. My point with Gerhart wasn't that Skov is like Gerhart, but that if Skov had the same running skillset in that "fullback body" (like Gerhart), Stanford would have found a way got give him more carries. That goes for any player at any position...if you're good enough to warrant seeing the ball more, you would get the ball more. Instead, Stanford felt he was more useful plowing the way for the ball carrier.

As for Days, if he wasn't a viable RB option in other systems, NFL teams would not be working him out. Last I checked, no one else runs CPJ's spread option in the NFL.
Shaw, incidentally, is considered the guru of red zone offenses in college. Might 'splain Skov's use but I never followed Stanford.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

So there's a good chance Stanford will be kicking themselves for not using him more carrying the ball?

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Dunno personally, but I have talked to one guy who heard him described in far less flattering terms ... and coached with him in college.

Yea that's fine I'm not defending Harbaugh. He's obviously a very intense guy. I just wouldn't include Alex Boone's comments in your supporting arguments.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Thats the point i'm trying to make, Days was awesome for us at B-back but he would have never totted the rock at Stanford, so just because Shaw hasn't used Skov as his premier back like they did Gerhart doesn't mean Skov won't be a force for us. I would guess that Gerhart was a bit of a freak size/speedwise because they have been using smaller backs every since he left and all their FB's are 240ish. I also like the fact that this guy is used to full speed collisions on every play whether he has the ball or not.

Last edited:

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Finally watched that HS highlight video. Love how physical he was. I'm pretty sure that part hasn't changed. Good hands and faster than I had envisioned. Also love that his highlight video had plenty of blocking clips. I am sold!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yea that's fine I'm not defending Harbaugh. He's obviously a very intense guy. I just wouldn't include Alex Boone's comments in your supporting arguments.
You're probably right. But who could ignore that one? It's a story all by its lonesome.