B Back Transfer - Patrick Skov

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I sleep through many a classes at MaTech and law school as well. That doesn't mean much, but apparently it has been a factor for this young man. I certainly would hate to know that so many people were scrutinizing my grades.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Booyah!

Skov and his bother are football players. Thats what you want at B Back...a certain mentality. Dude is big and physical...a guy you want to go to war with and who will give max effort.

I love having tough MF's at that position. Plus he's a high quality person like a Synjyn who will be team-oriented.

I also think it is really cool what he's doing careerwise and footballwise. Get you some carries boy and bust some MFs up. Will rock ons STs as well!

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I have a good friend who was a letterman in the 60s with GT who happen to play golf with a group of letterman and coaches on Monday.
In between the storms they were discussing a few things as to how the season might go. Over the past few years it hasn't been an optimistic outlook, even so last year they were telling the guys "just give us a little more time and things will shape up". Where as this year I was told "the vibe is the most optimistic and positive talk they have had since the before CPJ".
Roof and Sewak were some onsite that were asked about the season.
They said "we were going to be better than last year, however its possible our record may not reflect it due to swapping the two teams we swapped for ND and FSU".
JHD is "looking very positive and the light has finally come on academically" and he has been more of an addition to the defense than they anticipated.
They were asked about Skov obviously,( this was Monday afternoon) however they couldn't offer much other than he will be a great addition for us if he decides to "make it happen at Tech"!

Im looking forward to seeing this guy suit up for us and run. I don't care if he only ran for 18 yrds last year ( He scored 4 touchdowns on short yardage). The team needs someone who has experience, not to say he needs to step in and be a leader, but can lead by example. This guy will be a great fit for your run it down your throat offense.
Bring on the bruiser. If nothing else, put him on ST and he will make a great path for Golden on Kickoff returns

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have a good friend who was a letterman in the 60s with GT who happen to play golf with a group of letterman and coaches on Monday.
In between the storms they were discussing a few things as to how the season might go. Over the past few years it hasn't been an optimistic outlook, even so last year they were telling the guys "just give us a little more time and things will shape up". Where as this year I was told "the vibe is the most optimistic and positive talk they have had since the before CPJ".
Roof and Sewak were some onsite that were asked about the season.
They said "we were going to be better than last year, however its possible our record may not reflect it due to swapping the two teams we swapped for ND and FSU".
JHD is "looking very positive and the light has finally come on academically" and he has been more of an addition to the defense than they anticipated.
They were asked about Skov obviously,( this was Monday afternoon) however they couldn't offer much other than he will be a great addition for us if he decides to "make it happen at Tech"!

Im looking forward to seeing this guy suit up for us and run. I don't care if he only ran for 18 yrds last year ( He scored 4 touchdowns on short yardage). The team needs someone who has experience, not to say he needs to step in and be a leader, but can lead by example. This guy will be a great fit for your run it down your throat offense.
Bring on the bruiser. If nothing else, put him on ST and he will make a great path for Golden on Kickoff returns
Thomas has that effect on people.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I, for one, am excited to actually have a Bback who can pass block effectively. Just giving JT an extra couple of seconds to see the field is huge in the passing game. We always have a guy running free, it's just that JT has had a hard time finding him sometimes.

Agreed, DCS...now, if they can just secure the ball when he hits them in the hands. :)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any reason why this guy won't be very similar to Days last year if the O-line blocks anywhere near as well As '14

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree that Skov could be a good back in our offense, but nothing in his history indicate justification for the optimism in this thread. Yeah. He could be just what we needed. He could also be a reliable but seldom used backup.

BuzzbaitGT

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree that Skov could be a good back in our offense, but nothing in his history indicate justification for the optimism in this thread. Yeah. He could be just what we needed. He could also be a reliable but seldom used backup.

I seldom post, but frequently lurk multiple GT boards. If you get a chance, you should check out Skov's HUDL vid from HS and think about the how Skov's senior vid compares with various vids from the stellar class that CPJ signed in February. Then, EXTRAPOLATE from the vid and project how much bigger/stronger Skov will be now that he'll be coming to Tech as a man working on his post-grad MBA.

Additionally, I forget which board I've seen this on, but there's another vid of Skov from Stanford where he he maxes out bench pressing 225# at 29 reps. 29 reps! I've seen another post comparing his 40 times to Laskey and Days. It's in the ballpark. Sorry I don't have links to these various vids and posts, but I swear on a stack I've seen the HUDL vid and the bench press vid. Yeah, dis gonna' be gud.

(And, yes, I have drunk the Kool-Aid. :) )

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
He's coming in to play a position where we just lost 2 guys for the year, both of which everyone thought would get significant playing time. The "starter" during th spring game was a guy the coaches have moved around to 3-4 different positions. Physically and mentally, Skov is a grown man compared to our other B-Back options right now. We need options (no pun intended) and depth at that position, he helps with both.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The optimism at Skov's potential "talent" at the BB spot is possibly a little unfounded (anybody assuming we're getting an immediate Synjyn clone is just being hopeful He may be, but there is NO evidence to prove it yet).

However, what is not unfounded is the optimism over Skov's physical and mental maturity. I think this is huge at the BB spot due to what that position is asked to do.
Here is a guy who hasn't had the chance to tote the rock very much, and most likely doesn't have NFL tailback aspirations. He will be quick to accept his responsibilities, eager to learn the BB skill set, and I am confident will be an outstanding example of hard work and discipline for younger players.

There is always the chance a fall enrollee wins the spot (I am very optimistic about both MLD and MM), but the addition of Skove is invaluable on many levels.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
The optimism at Skov's potential "talent" at the BB spot is possibly a little unfounded (anybody assuming we're getting an immediate Synjyn clone is just being hopeful He may be, but there is NO evidence to prove it yet).

However, what is not unfounded is the optimism over Skov's physical and mental maturity. I think this is huge at the BB spot due to what that position is asked to do.
Here is a guy who hasn't had the chance to tote the rock very much, and most likely doesn't have NFL tailback aspirations. He will be quick to accept his responsibilities, eager to learn the BB skill set, and I am confident will be an outstanding example of hard work and discipline for younger players.

There is always the chance a fall enrollee wins the spot (I am very optimistic about both MLD and MM), but the addition of Skove is invaluable on many levels.

Synjyn wasn't even a Synjyn clone at the beginning of last year. He was a tentative runner who ran upright - not a great fit for B-Back. However, the light went on about halfway through the game that he had to start due to Laskey's injury, and he just changed. He started running with a focus to hit holes hard, and to get low, and to really drive through people. The change was shocking, but it turned him from an athlete into a B-Back.

The same can be said about Laskey last year. He was very effective in some games and less effective in others. The difference was his attitude and focus on running the right way. For years he had an issue running too high - he would get stopped dead and driven back alot. In the Miami game he literally decided to be a different runner, got low and plowed people. Totally different attitude, and different results. You could ultimately tell he was going to have a good game from his first 3-4 carries.

My estimation is that Skov is just as good an athlete as Days or Laskey. He's a football player. If he decides that he's going to run hard, hit holes fast, and play physical then he could be a nice addition to the rotation back there and I would expect he'll have some success. He had to buy into the appropriate style for our offense. If he does I see no reason why he couldn't succeed.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Synjyn wasn't even a Synjyn clone at the beginning of last year. He was a tentative runner who ran upright - not a great fit for B-Back. However, the light went on about halfway through the game that he had to start due to Laskey's injury, and he just changed. He started running with a focus to hit holes hard, and to get low, and to really drive through people. The change was shocking, but it turned him from an athlete into a B-Back.
exactly what I was going to say. There was no evidence that Synjyn was going to be any good at BB last year.

The same can be said for Skov... we don't know what we're going to get from a production standpoint. What we do know is that he is 22 or 23 years old (5th year player), he is very strong, he is probably about the same speed as Synjyn, and he is coming into a position where we need depth and physical maturity.

How anyone can view this negatively is beyond me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone thinks adding Skov is a negative...I think some (like myself) are more cautious about trying to make Skov more than what his history suggest he will be.

If he turns out to pick up where Days left off...FANTASTIC! But his modest production history, and the history of RBs taking time to acclimate to the BB position, suggest we probably don't need to make him out to be a savior at BB. Right now it appears his value is adding depth to a thin group of BBs that is heavy on youth and inexperience.

If Skov and Allen (along with the freshmen) can combine to give us 1,000-1,200 yards for the season I'll be happy.