B Back Transfer - Patrick Skov

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
He ran 4.57 in H.S. Which is Laskey/Days speed in H.S. But at 241 lbs. I loved both of them for several reasons that had nothing to do with talent . I maybe the only one that thinks our success last year was more O line and fear of God that Jt would keep the ball than our BBacks athletic ability. Mark me down that this could very well be a upgrade.

I am really excited, but let's not go crazy. I don't think losing two Redshirt Senior leaders with tons of carries will be an upgrade. If it's an even trade, I will be ecstatic.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Does any coach or staff member in particular deserve credit on Skov's transfer? I think the "transfer market" is one where the student does the initial contacting, correct?

Or is this transfer process another piece of evidence that increasing the recruiting staff has been a major point of upgrading the program?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Will Jabari get cleared by June if his Spring grades are good enough?

The freshmen also arrive in June, maybe we are expecting one less than we signed.

Jabari needs a good Summer semester before he's eligible from what I've heard.

We are expecting one off of the team now to leave.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck

Thanks, though sucks that someone is leaving and Jabari needs one more semester.

Is Skov going to train with the freshmen in June? He could provide some workout motivation and leadership for the freshmen.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Thanks, though sucks that someone is leaving and Jabari needs one more semester.

Is Skov going to train with the freshmen in June? He could provide some workout motivation and leadership for the freshmen.

I guess he COULD get eligible this semester..but I've heard that he has to have a good Spring and Summer and that it would likely be after the Summer before he would get eligible if all goes well...Fwiw I've heard he's been doing very well lately.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck

Eric, I don't mean to put you on the spot, but does that mean he couldn't be eligible from spring, no matter his grades? Or just that he doesn't expect to make it by end of spring?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I guess he COULD get eligible this semester..but I've heard that he has to have a good Spring and Summer and that it would likely be after the Summer before he would get eligible if all goes well...Fwiw I've heard he's been doing very well lately.

Good to hear. My fiancee had a class with him in 2013 and said he slept through the whole class.

She had nothing but good things to say about her class with Synjyn though so hopefully last year has changed Jabari's ways. Sure looks like it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He ran 4.57 in H.S. Which is Laskey/Days speed in H.S. But at 241 lbs. I loved both of them for several reasons that had nothing to do with talent . I maybe the only one that thinks our success last year was more O line and fear of God that Jt would keep the ball than our BBacks athletic ability. Mark me down that this could very well be a upgrade.
It certainly is an out-of-the-box view and I'd never minimize either Thomas or the O-line. And as the line will return in '15, for the most part anyway, maybe you are on to something. But I thought both Laskey and Days developed into excellent running backs. Hope you are right for all the obvious reasons.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I am really excited, but let's not go crazy. I don't think losing two Redshirt Senior leaders with tons of carries will be an upgrade. If it's an even trade, I will be ecstatic.
Redshirt senior leadership and tons of carries equals what I liked about both of them. Being a better athlete does not guarantee his production will equal the two out going seniors. I loved both players. I was just responding to why I love this addition and that it could turn out really good for GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The important question no one is asking is, did Skov get Kelly Quinlan's permission before he announced his intentions to transfer to GT?! :)

I kid, I kid...kinda...

GTFLETCH

Banned
He is a perfect fit and even if we only get 600-800 yds out of him his polished blocking abilities he brings is a plus.... Next year we will have 4 folks battling it out...perfect fit for 1 year!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Classy letter... based on anecdotal evidence, it seems that even if he never plays a meaningful snap our program will benefit from his addition.
Can't figure out if he actually played one year for Jim Harbaugh before Shaw took over (2010?) after his departure, but I see that a SF player suggests Harbaugh "might be clinically insane" and Shaw himself has suggested he was brutally controlling and very difficult to work for. Harbaugh himself says he will "wear out my welcome" at Michigan, and he is barely in the door. Which means our man Johnson is home free, and should any player suggest Johnson is a tough and uncompromising coach, he can give him some perspective. I like this guy more and more.

thwgjacket

Good to hear. My fiancee had a class with him in 2013 and said he slept through the whole class.

She had nothing but good things to say about her class with Synjyn though so hopefully last year has changed Jabari's ways. Sure looks like it.
To be fair falling asleep in class doesn't always mean an athlete doesn't care about the class. We had morning workouts at 5:30 and once the adrenaline from that wore off it was very easy to fall asleep in a desk in a morning class. Multiple times I would ask a teacher if I could stand up in the back, so I wouldn't fall asleep, and all of them were ok with it.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
To be fair falling asleep in class doesn't always mean an athlete doesn't care about the class. We had morning workouts at 5:30 and once the adrenaline from that wore off it was very easy to fall asleep in a desk in a morning class. Multiple times I would ask a teacher if I could stand up in the back, so I wouldn't fall asleep, and all of them were ok with it.
Also, some classes/profs just weren't worth staying awake for.