Auburn

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
He was a good player. Too bad for him and GT that he can't continue. Good luck Carter!
Yessir! In addition.. I think it was Jim Poole on the radio a couple of weeks ago. He was raving about what a great kid Carter is. I think the words he associated with Carter were: respectful, thoughtful, and well-liked by peers and coaches in and out of the program. I too wish him only the best... his absence will be significant.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Goldberg must be given a shot in CF now. Looks like he could be a player. Wilhite is completely overmatched at the plate, an automatic out if there ever was one. If Goldberg can hold up defensively, he will be a big upgrade at that position. Would also like to see Cole Neuber given some playing time. Kid has always had a nice bat. Not sure Hall will ever give him the chance he deserves. My inside sources tell me that Hall treats a lot of the walk ons like yesterdays garbage. This comes from several current players on the team.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
How about Collin Hall to center & Kel to right? I saw enough last year to know how scary that can be defensively, but have also seen in 3 years how scary Kel can be to oposing pitchers.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
How about Collin Hall to center & Kel to right? I saw enough last year to know how scary that can be defensively, but have also seen in 3 years how scary Kel can be to oposing pitchers.
Unfortunately, he has whiffed on fully 1/3 of his AB's so far this year. For a team that struggles to score runs, putting him in the lineup is essentially saying we are either gonna get a home run (5-10% of the time) or an unproductive out that fails to score runners from third (33% of the time).

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking Hall in Center and Radcliffe in right with Guldberg rotating at both spots to get the guys some rest.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking Hall in Center and Radcliffe in right with Guldberg rotating at both spots to get the guys some rest.
Radcliffe is also a whiff machine. Kev has 11 K's in 35 AB's (31& whiff rate) while Baron has 14K's in 31 AB's (45%)!!! And we haven't been facing prime ACC pitching yet!

McCann is also a strikeout machine with a 33% ration. Bart, by comparison whiffs 22% of the time and guys like Murray and Bailey strike out 10-11% of their AB's. McCann and Bart have 5 HR's each, while Kev and Baron have 1 HR each.

Now, if you want to argue that Baron being a frosh has upside, I can see that. But be prepared for some bad results while he learns if that is what you want to do.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, he has whiffed on fully 1/3 of his AB's so far this year. For a team that struggles to score runs, putting him in the lineup is essentially saying we are either gonna get a home run (5-10% of the time) or an unproductive out that fails to score runners from third (33% of the time).
Wow, failing to score a runner from third “only” 33% of the time seems like an upgrade for our offense (tic)

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Kel is not going to play in the field. Too much of a liability. Pretty much either strikes out, hits into double play, or homers. Has simply regressed as a player. Maybe his mind is on med school, I don't know. Was never the same after his ankle injury. Goldberg can run and make contact at the plate. Plays with a lot of confidence. Really think he could be good with reps. Radcliffe is just a raw project who looks good in BP. His swing is way too long to ever make contact on a consistent basis.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Radcliffe is also a whiff machine. Kev has 11 K's in 35 AB's (31& whiff rate) while Baron has 14K's in 31 AB's (45%)!!! And we haven't been facing prime ACC pitching yet!

McCann is also a strikeout machine with a 33% ration. Bart, by comparison whiffs 22% of the time and guys like Murray and Bailey strike out 10-11% of their AB's. McCann and Bart have 5 HR's each, while Kev and Baron have 1 HR each.

Now, if you want to argue that Baron being a frosh has upside, I can see that. But be prepared for some bad results while he learns if that is what you want to do.
That is my argument actually. Baron is going to be a really good player for us, so play him 2/3 of weekend games and have Hall in Center for those games. Then put Goldburg in Center and Hall in right for the other game. I'm also prepared for some bad strikeout numbers for Baron, but he needs to play.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Kel is not going to play in the field. Too much of a liability. Pretty much either strikes out, hits into double play, or homers. Has simply regressed as a player. Maybe his mind is on med school, I don't know. Was never the same after his ankle injury. Goldberg can run and make contact at the plate. Plays with a lot of confidence. Really think he could be good with reps. Radcliffe is just a raw project who looks good in BP. His swing is way too long to ever make contact on a consistent basis.
I've noticed that about his swing too, but man, if he learns to shorten up, the potential is awesome. I do like Goldburg in Center though and hope that Hall goes that route.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I've noticed that about his swing too, but man, if he learns to shorten up, the potential is awesome. I do like Goldburg in Center though and hope that Hall goes that route.
Wow, Guldberg has had 10 college ABs. I guess the good news is he’s only fanned in one of them.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

I'd add walks to the denominator when calculating a "K rate"... doesn't change your point on who strikes out too much but does reduce the rate some. & a guy like McCann with 14 BBs & 9 Ks... puts him in a favorable category OBP wise.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Goldberg must be given a shot in CF now. Looks like he could be a player. Wilhite is completely overmatched at the plate, an automatic out if there ever was one. If Goldberg can hold up defensively, he will be a big upgrade at that position. Would also like to see Cole Neuber given some playing time. Kid has always had a nice bat. Not sure Hall will ever give him the chance he deserves. My inside sources tell me that Hall treats a lot of the walk ons like yesterdays garbage. This comes from several current players on the team.

You seem to know a lot more than I do about Hall since the only sources I have are this site and the very limited stuff on the internet.

Thank you for posting what you know. I think 90-100% of the people on the site share some level of your frustration with Hall. But our frustration with Hall doesn't need to infect every post. I know I slip but it's not healthy. Namaste.

Deleted member 2897

Well after a pretty dreadful Clemson series, Chase Murray was freaking hot as Hades against Virginia Tech.
Game 1: 2 for 3
Game 2: 3 for 5:
Game 3: 3 for 5

Danged 8 for 13 in the series. He's now 34 of 78 on the season (0.436).