Auburn/Georgia talent vs GT

I don’t think uga winning it all would have any impact on our program. We raised the white flag against them post-flunkgate.

We celebrate CPJ’s 3 wins against UGA but in hindsight we will bemoan that we only had three because 2007-2016 will be seen as a low point between Richt’s run in the 00’s and what Kirby is about to do.

F—- uga
The sad thing is that we really should have won 6 in that time. We gave away the games in 2009, 2013, and 2015

What goes through an elite HS player's head to choose UGA so he can get in line behind a slew of equally-talented upperclassmen? PT is pretty tough to come by.
A good example of that, even though he wasn't exactly an elite player, is Brendon Douglass, who flipped at the last minute and has ridden the bench for most of his time there. Another possibility, though at Bama, not Georgia, is Bulovas, who flipped to Bama and is only a grey shirt. He possibly could have changed our fortunes on ST's this year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What goes through an elite HS player's head to choose UGA so he can get in line behind a slew of equally-talented upperclassmen? PT is pretty tough to come by.
I guess it's the $ame draw as Alabama ($$$$) just without the overall success and national titles.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The whole premise of this post is false. We just competed and defeated those great Athletes over in Athens a year ago. We also beat Auburn pretty regularly when we played them in the recent past. We are a lot closer in personnel than the media would lead you to think. Football is about want to and our boys did not have enough of that in 2017.

Go Jackets!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Bama has been doing this for years. You have to recruit guys who believe that they are better than the anyone else. If you are recruiting the guys who are looking for the easiest path to playing time, you are looking at a different type of player. A lesser one. That's why the guys who leave us for more playing time are usually never heard from again. You want playing time? Earn it. That's why I have no qualms about guys like Brendan Douglas...it didn't work put for him but he at least accepted a challenge.Sure he could have started for Tulane or Ga. Southern. Maybe could have helped us. But he accepted a challenge. Good for him.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
We don't have, and never will have, the recruiting budget, easy majors, offensive scheme and large, rabid fan base sufficient to draw enough elite talent to compete with the factories with any consistency. With UGA, Clemson and Miami always on our schedule, those will be losses more often than not. VT always plays us tough. Cutcliffe has CPJ's number now. Other programs in the Coastal seem to be progressing more than we are. I don't expect future results much different than what we experienced this season.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Give credit where it is due. The mutts made a huge leap in their play from last year to this. They have had a great season and are on the verge of an epic one.

I just can't express how much I want the mutts to flame out in the playoffs. I do wonder one thing however. Will it take the mutts winning it all...to finally spur our administration to spend what is necessary to compete? I think the answer to that is yes sadly. I'm not even certain that would do it though.
How much money would we need to start recruiting 5 star QBs to backup our current 5 star QB and his backup 5 star QB? I don't think that is even something you can buy. We could throw 60 million a year more at recruiting and we still aren't going to be close. It is more than just money. They have a perfect setup for a football factory. We aren't even close.

How much money would we need to start recruiting 5 star QBs to backup our current 5 star QB and his backup 5 star QB? I don't think that is even something you can buy. We could throw 60 million a year more at recruiting and we still aren't going to be close. It is more than just money. They have a perfect setup for a football factory. We aren't even close.
Money can't hurt though. It's far better to have it than not have it.

How has he figured out how to shut us down? He sure didn't last year, and the way the offense performed last week was more a function of out inconsistent offense this year than anything Smart did.

Let's see: Shut down the interior? Check. Force us outside, where quick mutt LBs and DBs will *****-slap QB-option-keepers? Check. Force us into predictable throwing downs, where we stink because we have a terrible throwing QB? Check.

It's not difficult to shut us down if you've got decent personnel. We're pretty predictable. As has been said often here and elsewhere, we basically run the same set of plays over and over. It'd be nice to think that will change and that CPJ will add some wrinkles but it's year 11 now and there's no reason whatsoever to believe that will occur.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
But none of that indicates that Smart has figured out how to stop us. That's a matter of us not having enough talent this year, plus the inconsistency of what we had.

I still think we may learn at some point that there was bad mojo in the locker room this year. Regardless of talent, if the guys aren’t playing as a team then it’s harder to be successful. I’ve seen Tech teams lose but I don’t recall seeing our guys quit like we saw at Duke and a lesser degree against UGA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Give credit where it is due. The mutts made a huge leap in their play from last year to this. They have had a great season and are on the verge of an epic one.

I just can't express how much I want the mutts to flame out in the playoffs. I do wonder one thing however. Will it take the mutts winning it all...to finally spur our administration to spend what is necessary to compete? I think the answer to that is yes sadly. I'm not even certain that would do it though.

I don’t think UGA winning would sway them at all. I think that if the revenue from football pays for itself and the other sports, excluding basketball, then the administration is happy. I believe they see athletics as an extracurricular activity and nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
For AU to have such a big talant difference they sure seem to be losing to ugag by about the same as us....
Well, in the prediction contest on the other board I picked UGA because while watching Auburn in the Iron Bowl it looked as though they really left it on the field. We can pretend that the SEC Championship is the more important game but let me tell you to my relatives in the Yellowhammer State nothing and I mean nothing approaches the Iron Bowl in importance. That game meant everything to Auburn which has been under the heel of the Tide for a long time. The Tigers were just out of gas for UGA.