Attrition of '14: where are they now?

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
@KCJackets

3 years I think.

@dressedcheeseside

Obviously people still care.. Just because he is no longer going to be a Jacket doesn't mean some people won't still follow him...I know I will. He's a good kid and he chose Tech over a lot of other schools and even when his HS coach was in his ear about other schools he stuck with Tech...Custis is a great person and I wish him a ton of success...unfortunately things didn't work out with him for us and vice versa but I hope he finds success.
You can thank his family for the fact of him stayin they really wanted him at tech, he was even a yellow jacket in rec ball, wish he was still here as well but he will do great wherever he goes.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
You can thank his family for the fact of him stayin they really wanted him at tech, he was even a yellow jacket in rec ball, wish he was still here as well but he will do great wherever he goes.
Agreed LargeFO. "who cares"comment about Custis was disappointing.

We are all disappointed that Custis is not at GT but I guarantee nobody is more disappointed than Custis himself.
i agree i actually believe his plans were to come back , but because of math requirements he needed for tech that Hutchison did not offer he was not able to transfer back to gt!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
i agree i actually believe his plans were to come back , but because of math requirements he needed for tech that Hutchison did not offer he was not able to transfer back to gt!

Wonder why he didn't go the prep school route like Whitehead did?

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
If he is not going anywhere until next year...why can't he transfer to some school or take the math credits somewhere to qualify for entry (this may have been rehashed...multiple times)? Knowing how bad HE wants to be at Tech, really bums me out that things unfolded the way they did.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
If he is not going anywhere until next year...why can't he transfer to some school or take the math credits somewhere to qualify for entry (this may have been rehashed...multiple times)? Knowing how bad HE wants to be at Tech, really bums me out that things unfolded the way they did.
I'm not really sure. I have known the Custis family for around 13 years now but I stay in touch with his older brother a lot more. Those are questions I just have not asked him I was actually wondering the same thing, I need to find out though.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know that he "trashed" the offense when he left. I am far from an avid follower of every message board out there -- read a couple, post only on this one because of what Eric does with it, and some really knowledgeable and insightful football minds on the board -- but the only thing I recall him saying was to the effect that "The triple option is not for me." I did read on this board that he was unhappy that after putting up four TDs against Duke his last year Johnson focused, as Johnson does, because he wants them all, on the missed opportunities and points left on the field. Don't think it went further, though somebody may know something. In my view he did not run any of the option sets very well -- this offense is very, very hard and quick -- and was not comfortable under center. And he saw enough of Thomas in the year they shared the job that he didn't have to be told he would be backup in '14. But a whole bunch of top rank QBs in America would play No. 2 behind Thomas. GT owes Saban big time. Anyway, I don't think he burned bridges. Just made the decision best for him and landed well.

I think what stuck in most people's craw was his "the triple option was never my thing.." quote. Some things should remain unsaid. No matter how he intended it, it came off as sour grapes, imo. Oh well, I'm darn glad he vamoosed when he did. I don't even want to think of what a mess it would have been last year had he stayed.

This is not what stuck in my craw.

What stuck in my craw was his comment that the offense could only be successful with the "Dwyers, Thomas's, Nesbitt's, etc."

To me that quote throws the entire team under the bus because it essentially says none of his teammates were talented enough to make the offense successful. That's the only thing I didn't like about his comments as he left. I think he's a really nice and upbeat kid, but I also think he's been getting bad advice from people who need him to be successful at football more than he does.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. In future we will be able to head this off Even if it was a local high school coach who dropped the ball.
The HS football coach has very little to do with High Scool academia. The High School counselor or registrar submits his transcript to the NCAA clearinghouse with a substantial fee. They also send it to the post secondary institution. It is then up to them to clear the student.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He was recruited to play QB at FSU though.
Pretty sure that Thomas could play QB for any program in the country, though I suppose coaches ideally want the 6-4 guys who can throw over the secondary deep. But I cannot imagine that he would be less successful in a zone read or read option shotgun offense. Just less exciting because in my mind those are plodding offenses. He ain't a plodder.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In reference to this. Have seen you do this several times in the past when a thread's discussing former players that left/were dismissed. If you don't care, which is fine, can you not clog the thread with your pointless 'who cares' posts? Some people do, especially when it was guys that did nothing to throw negativity towards GT at all.
Dude, that post was several months ago. Nice timing.

Jacketfish

Jolly Good Fellow
Anthony Autry has committed to Texas A&M...and by that I mean Texas A&M Kingsville.

At first glance I was surprised that he was going to such a big time program, after reading further I am surprised he is going to such an little known school.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I am glad Vad Lee left, he never bought into the system and it is clear to me that when CPJ talks about last years team not being selfish or whining he is speaking about Jeff Greene, Vad Lee and D. Wilson..... Funny thing is that D. Wilson would be the starting B back at this moment however he is at BGSU as a backup..talk about KARMA!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Dude, I don't make 100 posts a day like you. I don't have the time to stalk timestamps of every post. Bottom line remains: some people are interested in players that didn't pan out for whatever reasons.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i thought that we lost 14 players not 13. i have two questions.

1. we lost 2 coaches also. what happened to them?

2. when we lost all those players and 2 coaches right before the season many predicted gloom and doom.
to have made the turn around that we did while losing 14 players (or 13) certainly points to the importance of team chemistry.

which of the players that we lost contributed negatively to the idea of 'team'??? surely we cant place the entire blame on vad lee.... or can we?

when i started seeing vad do the duke flop early on i just had that feeling that he was not playing with full effort and expected him to transfer.