Attrition of '14: where are they now?

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
@KCJackets

3 years I think.

@dressedcheeseside

Obviously people still care.. Just because he is no longer going to be a Jacket doesn't mean some people won't still follow him...I know I will. He's a good kid and he chose Tech over a lot of other schools and even when his HS coach was in his ear about other schools he stuck with Tech...Custis is a great person and I wish him a ton of success...unfortunately things didn't work out with him for us and vice versa but I hope he finds success.

Vad Lee KNEW before our Bowl game he was leaving but CHOSE not to tell our Coaches so HE would play instead of Justin. Vad was selfish; wasn't thinking about our team one bit. Also he talked a lot of trash abour our offense when he left which could have negative impact on future recruits. Why would ANY Tech fan have any affection for him?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Vad Lee KNEW before our Bowl game he was leaving but CHOSE not to tell our Coaches so HE would play instead of Justin. Vad was selfish; wasn't thinking about our team one bit. Also he talked a lot of trash abour our offense when he left which could have negative impact on future recruits. Why would ANY Tech fan have any affection for him?

Not sure what you're talking about.

I was talking about Travis Custis in the quote you posted...I even said Custis in the post?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer

Not sure about this, maybe the part about Vad talking about the offense, but it doesn't matter. Whatever dmg was done by previous players in regards to the perception of the offense is being undone by last years team and Justin Thomas.

Kids want to play with winners, and Justin Thomas is a winner, plus He makes the game fun. If his career keeps going on an upward trend, we might be making a statue of that young man outside Bobby Dodd.

He has made me a believer!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not sure about this, maybe the part about Vad talking about the offense, but it doesn't matter. Whatever dmg was done by previous players in regards to the perception of the offense is being undone by last years team and Justin Thomas.

Kids want to play with winners, and Justin Thomas is a winner, plus He makes the game fun. If his career keeps going on an upward trend, we might be making a statue of that young man outside Bobby Dodd.

He has made me a believer!
Dwyer had a similar effect as well. I thought Dwyer was gonna be the "pied piper" for stud runningbacks on a bee line to GT. Never happened. I'm hoping JT can do it for the stud dual threat qb's, but I'm not holding my breathe.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer had a similar effect as well. I thought Dwyer was gonna be the "pied piper" for stud runningbacks on a bee line to GT. Never happened. I'm hoping JT can do it for the stud dual threat qb's, but I'm not holding my breathe.

ha i'm even skeptical of the "dual-threat" QB. JT was targeted as a DB by Saban. So keep getting those guys that Saban thinks are DB's!

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what you're talking about.

I was talking about Travis Custis in the quote you posted...I even said Custis in the post?

Wow, sorry about that...I'm not sure how I got Vad out of that post other than saying I have suffered a serious of strokes and have permanent brain issues that cause loops when when I read and write, I double things up, etc, and sometimes, I see things that aren't correlated correctly. All I can think of is I was hooked back into some former thread about Vad. Sorry about that.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Wow, sorry about that...I'm not sure how I got Vad out of that post other than saying I have suffered a serious of strokes and have permanent brain issues that cause loops when when I read and write, I double things up, etc, and sometimes, I see things that aren't correlated correctly. All I can think of is I was hooked back into some former thread about Vad. Sorry about that.

Sorry to hear that my friend.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how Vad felt after watching JT's success? Couldn't have felt great considering how he supposedly trashed the offense after he was gone. First post! I'm here after seeing the light, and tired of paying $10 a month for supposed insider knowledge. Eric does a great job. AND HE'S NOT A DWAG!
I don't know that he "trashed" the offense when he left. I am far from an avid follower of every message board out there -- read a couple, post only on this one because of what Eric does with it, and some really knowledgeable and insightful football minds on the board -- but the only thing I recall him saying was to the effect that "The triple option is not for me." I did read on this board that he was unhappy that after putting up four TDs against Duke his last year Johnson focused, as Johnson does, because he wants them all, on the missed opportunities and points left on the field. Don't think it went further, though somebody may know something. In my view he did not run any of the option sets very well -- this offense is very, very hard and quick -- and was not comfortable under center. And he saw enough of Thomas in the year they shared the job that he didn't have to be told he would be backup in '14. But a whole bunch of top rank QBs in America would play No. 2 behind Thomas. GT owes Saban big time. Anyway, I don't think he burned bridges. Just made the decision best for him and landed well.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't know that he "trashed" the offense when he left. I am far from an avid follower of every message board out there -- read a couple, post only on this one because of what Eric does with it, and some really knowledgeable and insightful football minds on the board -- but the only thing I recall him saying was to the effect that "The triple option is not for me." I did read on this board that he was unhappy that after putting up four TDs against Duke his last year Johnson focused, as Johnson does, because he wants them all, on the missed opportunities and points left on the field. Don't think it went further, though somebody may know something. In my view he did not run any of the option sets very well -- this offense is very, very hard and quick -- and was not comfortable under center. And he saw enough of Thomas in the year they shared the job that he didn't have to be told he would be backup in '14. But a whole bunch of top rank QBs in America would play No. 2 behind Thomas. GT owes Saban big time. Anyway, I don't think he burned bridges. Just made the decision best for him and landed well.
I think what stuck in most people's craw was his "the triple option was never my thing.." quote. Some things should remain unsaid. No matter how he intended it, it came off as sour grapes, imo. Oh well, I'm darn glad he vamoosed when he did. I don't even want to think of what a mess it would have been last year had he stayed.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
ha i'm even skeptical of the "dual-threat" QB. JT was targeted as a DB by Saban. So keep getting those guys that Saban thinks are DB's!

The only reason JT was not recruited as a QB by Saban is because of his size. If he was 2 inches taller he would be in a Crimson uniform on Saturdays.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
none at Tech, who cares?
In reference to this. Have seen you do this several times in the past when a thread's discussing former players that left/were dismissed. If you don't care, which is fine, can you not clog the thread with your pointless 'who cares' posts? Some people do, especially when it was guys that did nothing to throw negativity towards GT at all.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
Custis isn't going to enroll anywhere until next year.
You are correct, he recently told me he wishes he could come back to tech and he's up to 8 or 9 offers now. That family has such great athletes, no one probably knows of his older brother but he was a monster linebacker