Attrition and Scholarship Limits

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Triggered

Ha. Hardly. Let one little comment go the other way on this board and you’ll see it.

I’m just tired of the same folks that point and accuse and preach tolerance not walking their own talk.

I’ve seen several “old white dudes” comments on this board. Not sure what skin color has to do with this discussion.

Let’s dispense with that silliness. If you can’t agree with that basic notion, and you’re only response is a dismissive “triggered”, that’s just sad.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Ha. Hardly. Let one little comment go the other way on this board and you’ll see it.

I’m just tired of the same folks that point and accuse and preach tolerance not walking their own talk.

I’ve seen several “old white dudes” comments on this board. Not sure what skin color has to do with this discussion.

Let’s dispense with that silliness. If you can’t agree with that basic notion, and you’re only response is a dismissive “triggered”, that’s just sad.

I gotcha.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I love when Tech football players that have played in the past decade speak truth to the same 3 or 4 old white dudes here about how things really are within the GT Athletic Department current day, as well as every other athletic department in the nation. And they'll still attempt lame comebacks when they literally have no idea. Lol. It's fun for me.

Goodnight gentlemen.

@Ibeeballin keep dropping the truth on these cats please.
If only the young white naive guys had seen enough life, both past and present, they would know that whatever they think ibeeballin is talking about that goes on at Tech, has very little to do with Bama processing that bothers both young and old Tech fans. The amount and nature of abuse of so called non-performers (who the coaches told they were great and would help Tech and be a great fit), matters. GT /= Bama.
A good example of youngsters needing to develop, is the thought that older guys who have followed not only Tech, but CFB for several decades, don't realize that kids who don't perform get pressured, even at Tech.
Triggered Z

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
To me it should work like this: your scholarship offer is a one year offer that may lead to further years on scholarship if your performance dictates it. This is identical to an academic scholarship.

If your performance dictates that you do not deserve to have your scholarship renewed, you will be told this is the case and it will not be renewed. If you are cutting it academically, you have the option to stay in school and get a degree from Tech. If you so choose, you may stay on the football team as a walk-on, with a chance to re-earn your scholarship. If you believe you would be more successful and earn an athletic scholarship elsewhere, we can assist you with your transfer goals. Again, this is exactly like an academic scholarship.

Nobody is being targeted/made to hate their life anymore than any other student/student-athlete, but you do have to accept the reality of the situation and decide what is best for you. An athletic scholarship is not a 4/5 year pass to be a low/non-performing athlete, regardless of the effort you put in.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Just make sure the coaches who begged the player to come aboard don't get a pass either, because they are also NOT performing. This is a bit different than an academic scholarship where nobody sat in their living room and blew smoke up their arse. The academic kids are also measured a bit more cut and dry than the athletes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think you are in the Tech fan majority with your opinion. At least I sure hope so. And what you describe as acceptable behavior is not what I consider processing.
Yes. We all have slightly different definitions of processing. Helping a student athlete find a role that is fulfilling is not processing to me.

Handing out scholarships like they are candy and knowing that you are well over the limit but not caring because you planned all along to run off the players that you end up not needing, now that is processing.

Animal02

Banned
To me it should work like this: your scholarship offer is a one year offer that may lead to further years on scholarship if your performance dictates it. This is identical to an academic scholarship.

If your performance dictates that you do not deserve to have your scholarship renewed, you will be told this is the case and it will not be renewed. If you are cutting it academically, you have the option to stay in school and get a degree from Tech. If you so choose, you may stay on the football team as a walk-on, with a chance to re-earn your scholarship. If you believe you would be more successful and earn an athletic scholarship elsewhere, we can assist you with your transfer goals. Again, this is exactly like an academic scholarship.

Nobody is being targeted/made to hate their life anymore than any other student/student-athlete, but you do have to accept the reality of the situation and decide what is best for you. An athletic scholarship is not a 4/5 year pass to be a low/non-performing athlete, regardless of the effort you put in.
Except kids that play ball cannot just switch schools without sitting out a year. That is the trade off for having the 4 year scholly.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Except kids that play ball cannot just switch schools without sitting out a year. That is the trade off for having the 4 year scholly.
Yes they can, they just have to drop down a level or apply and be granted a waiver. The overwhelming majority of kids transferring from Tech because they aren't making the cut for playing time were going to have to go down a level of play anyway.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer

The problem with this notion is that sometimes guys take a while to develop. Days and Waller in 2014 were huge for our team. Neither contributed a ton as freshmen or Sophomores. You don't know what a kid could be as a Junior or Senior.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Has Kirvonte landed anywhere yet?

I haven't seen anything. Zakk McKeehan went to Nicholl's state, but I am not seeing any news on Benson, Cole, or Dameon Williams. I would think they would have to find a home soon. Fall semester is weeks away.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The problem with this notion is that sometimes guys take a while to develop. Days and Waller in 2014 were huge for our team. Neither contributed a ton as freshmen or Sophomores. You don't know what a kid could be as a Junior or Senior.
Synjyn played in at least 6 games every year of his career, and Darren Waller was an active contributor for 3 years. Neither of these players would have been at risk, they were actively contributing and putting forth the effort and performing, whether on the field or as second/third string backups. I'm talking about guys who are at the bottom of the depth chart, 4th, 5th, etc. at their position as upper classmen or who have shown an inability or lack of desire to put in the necessary work. Iron sharpens iron - guys taking up scholarships and serving as little more than warm bodies on a scout team need to be taken off scholarship and those scholarships used for players who are talented and willing to put forth the effort to compete and get above the line.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There's another angle to this: the schools are making money off the performance of the players. By that I mean that the rep of the school is enhanced and it gets more contributions; the ticket receipts help, but aren't the main thing. Given that the players are told that they can get an education in exchange for athletic performance, the 4 year commitment is implicit in the contract. The kind of processing yeti is talking about is now the main argument for recognizing that college athletes are employees of the school, allowing them to move freely between schools, and allowing the formation of unions of players. If the athlete isn't going to get a full ride from the school for the course of his education, why not recognize facts (something a lot of people here call for then studiously avoid) and change the teams to semi-professional status? Sure, that would mean the end of major college football, but everything else would be on the up-and-up.

Now that really is the choice. You give the young men a full scholarship for their entire time at college or you treat them as employees. The analogy to regular academic scholarship fails since the schools aren't profiting from the performance of those students; indeed, they are a substantial cost. Demanding academic performance to keep a scholarship makes perfect sense, given that. But athletic scholarships are given in the hope of earning considerable support and additional funds from athletes's performance. There's a quid pro quo there that should to be recognized. It's the failure to do that that characterizes "Big Boy Football" and it will - and not in too short a time either - destroy college athletics to the detriment of both schools and players.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
There's another angle to this: the schools are making money off the performance of the players. By that I mean that the rep of the school is enhanced and it gets more contributions; the ticket receipts help, but aren't the main thing. Given that the players are told that they can get an education in exchange for athletic performance, the 4 year commitment is implicit in the contract. The kind of processing yeti is talking about is now the main argument for recognizing that college athletes are employees of the school, allowing them to move freely between schools, and allowing the formation of unions of players. If the athlete isn't going to get a full ride from the school for the course of his education, why not recognize facts (something a lot of people here call for then studiously avoid) and change the teams to semi-professional status? Sure, that would mean the end of major college football, but everything else would be on the up-and-up.

Now that really is the choice. You give the young men a full scholarship for their entire time at college or you treat them as employees. The analogy to regular academic scholarship fails since the schools aren't profiting from the performance of those students; indeed, they are a substantial cost. Demanding academic performance to keep a scholarship makes perfect sense, given that. But athletic scholarships are given in the hope of earning considerable support and additional funds from athletes's performance. There's a quid pro quo there that should to be recognized. It's the failure to do that that characterizes "Big Boy Football" and it will - and not in too short a time either - destroy college athletics to the detriment of both schools and players.
That’s not really THE choice. It is one option but there are degrees between the two extremes you posit.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Schools do benefit from giving academic scholarships though. High achieving students raise the academic reputation of the school, and when those students become high achieving alumni, they further raise the status of the school and give back with large donations. If the school didn't benefit from giving academic scholarships, they wouldn't give them. There's a reason Auburn was willing to give me a full ride and stipend while Tech was barely willing to let me in the door.

Additionally, most athletes at a school make the school zero money. Are you suggesting football players be treated differently than other student athletes?

Animal02

Banned
Schools do benefit from giving academic scholarships though. High achieving students raise the academic reputation of the school, and when those students become high achieving alumni, they further raise the status of the school and give back with large donations. If the school didn't benefit from giving academic scholarships, they wouldn't give them. There's a reason Auburn was willing to give me a full ride and stipend while Tech was barely willing to let me in the door.

Additionally, most athletes at a school make the school zero money. Are you suggesting football players be treated differently than other student athletes?
That is a lot of spin and assumptions that are simply wrong.