Attrition and Scholarship Limits

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree. We don't pay recruits. We try to sell the value of a Tech Degree (which has been in many cases including my own has been both satisfying career wise and financially). We evaluate a recruit who appears to be good student and good football player. Turns out to be good student and tries to be good football player but isn't. I can live with, but not like, faking a medical disqualification which allows the player to get his degree. We may have done it the past (I don’t know of any examples) but I categorically can't accept processing players that follow team rules and try hard in practice.

We are probably not going to be national champions, but let’s hold our head high and fight with honor. I have seen no reason to believe Coach Collins doesn’t hold these principals.

I suspect we've seen reasons to believe things have changed, but I could be wrong.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Seems like a lot of guys that were buried on the depth chart. I think Gantt could land somewhere like Kennesaw State and excel.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...d-georgia-tech-roster/leQAYtDPayZXZqE6yInOsO/

AJC article on those that are missing from the depth chart. Also mentions that Jahaziel Lee switch to D-Line seems permanent. He has changed his number to 95. Demetrius Knight listed as a LB, and Jair Hawkins-Anderson listed as DB.
Definitely need Lee on the DL. I wish he could've moved there sooner. Hawkins-Anderson can flat out fly; I wonder if he was buried on the WR Depth Chart. @Ibeeballin called Knight to LB long ago and was correct. I think he will make an impact at that position down the road.

Deleted member 2897

Those were pretty much the last ones that filled our speculative list several weeks ago - all folks that had given it a year or two and due to a variety of factors never came close to getting into even a 4-deep. I wish them well.

Hopefully that will make some folks feel a little better about how big the size of our 2020 recruiting class is already.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Only surprise to me is Bonds, who was a 4 star out of high school and I had high hopes for. Regardless of what the talking heads say, I think we are in really good shape in the secondary, but has Bonds been injured or was he just not outplaying the guys ahead of him?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
When I saw cbc recruiting dbs as soon as Dec '18, it occurred to me that he did not see the type athlete he needed for the way he expects his dbs to play. I'm guessing he had already evaluated most of what was here before he got here since he coaches dbs.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Those were pretty much the last ones that filled our speculative list several weeks ago - all folks that had given it a year or two and due to a variety of factors never came close to getting into even a 4-deep. I wish them well.

Hopefully that will make some folks feel a little better about how big the size of our 2020 recruiting class is already.
People need to trust the coaching staff they know the players more than us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

DeepSnap

GT Athlete

Probably happened right after spring practice, but just now being made public. After spring ball, grades, talking with parents & getting the speech I got after my first year as a walk-on & going through spring ball - "Well, if you're not gonna play, you need to finish your degree & figure out what you're gonna do with your life. BTW, you're over 18, you ain't coming home." - a lot of guys decide to get on with their lives.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
BTL works.
I think that train has left the station, but I could be wrong. The prevailing wisdom has been that with the Math and Academic Requirements with APR implications, GT had to sell the 40 year decision to SA's with a 4or5 year commitment from GT.

It will be interesting to see, if he can recruit at a high level while only giving a 1 or 2 year commitment from GT.

Round 1 just hit the wires today. Of roster mgt.

Round 1. But i will agree that with collins own recruits we will see more commitment and less processing. U have to understand i get tidbits in advance on some things