Attrition and Scholarship Limits

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I will let this "play out", but I hope we do not steep down to "Big Boy Football" if it means selling our soul to get a couple more wins in Football. Dodd will be turning over in his grave if pulling scholarships were to occur. I have no problem telling a student/athlete they don't fit into whatever scheme we run and the kid transfers to get playing time at another school.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I will let this "play out", but I hope we do not steep down to "Big Boy Football" if it means selling our soul to get a couple more wins in Football. Dodd will be turning over in his grave if pulling scholarships were to occur. I have no problem telling a student/athlete they don't fit into whatever scheme we run and the kid transfers to get playing time at another school.

That would be a little kick in the nuts. Leave the SEC for the moral high ground, have Saban oversign his way to an award named after you, and then have your school follow suit.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Nobody is straight up pulling scholarships. What you described is how it happens literally everywhere. This has been gone over, ad nauseum on this board.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Although some basic, if not watered-down, notions of fairness and equity with athletes still persist, FBS football today is not the same as college football was in the 1960s. How many of Dodd’s players came to play as a means to riches in the NFL? Most came because they wanted a good education and football provided a way to offset the cost. To consider FBS football as still an amateur endeavor is, well, amateurish. Big money means big pressure to win. And big pressure means produce or be gone.

Aren’t we already at the place where winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Whats about to give is a serious dose of roster mgt. cough cough processing cough cough thank you see you coughing below the line and bye?

Ummm. Mods you may want to move this comment to another thread. The holier than thou reaction could derail the thread :)
My take on processing kids is that it is fine if and only if the kids are told upfront that it will happen if they are “below the line”. If you don’t tell them from the beginning it’s a real possibility, then you are misleading these guys and that is unethical.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not to me. Thats just getting kicked out. Processing is the roster management tactic of taking a kid on ship, eligible, and making his life abundantly clear he is below the line, will never see a down, making his life hard, frank that he can stay on ship but transferring is probably the best way to go, helping him transfer and boom gone

Hence atl and btl
How about trying to make the kid better who you’ve already sunk time and resources into, a kid who you supposedly call your son and looks to you as a father, a kid who the other kids call brother, instead of starting over from scratch with another freshman project who may or may not pan out as well. If the kid isn’t giving 100% that’s a different story. If the coach makes a poor talent evaluation it’s just too damn bad.

Every kid is a gamble, a bet, a calculated risk you take when you give him his offer. Who should pay the price when the gamble fails to pan out, the kid who’s given every ounce of blood, sweat and tears to the program, or the gambler who made a bad bet?

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
My take on processing kids is that it is fine if and only if the kids are told upfront that it will happen if they are “below the line”. If you don’t tell them from the beginning it’s a real possibility, then you are misleading these guys and that is unethical.
The kids are not fools. They only need to know that every kid will be given every opportunity to compete and play. They all have every expectation of playing and starting at some point but 40 roster members will be surprised to find out they are not going to reach that goal at Tech. To those that never played, the work and time involved to stay on a roster to watch others play is great and often not worth the rigor . Our coaches have a responsibility to help those players find a new home where they can enjoy both school and ball. We are making too much out of this process. We are not going to place 5 kids on medical waivers each year like a few schools (Bama) only to see them then transfer to JSU and play for a lesser championship. You can do it the right way. Yes, this is the right way in 2019 but probably looked down on by most schools 20 years ago.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, if CGC did this we definitely wouldn't be concerned about going over the allowed numbers. Saban and Smart might as well fire themselves now if they were to start saying this in recruit's living rooms. It's an ugly biz. $ corrupts. If GT starts Bama processing, not graduating players like ugag, and/or winning Fulmer Trophys, I'm out, and a lot of people I know feel the same. Of course, a lot of people feel we should sell our souls for so called Big Boy football. Why not go against the trend, be unique, and still punch above our weight? It makes Ws more special and meaningful.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
One of the problems are most of the players we recruit are the best player on their team. If they are fortunate in their 10 game high school schedule they may only go up against another player as good as them twice in ten games. They are their schools stars. But when they get to college they are going up against players as good or better. So now it will be how they react some work hard and get better, some get depressed not playing. It's not the players fault. Dose that give the coach the right to run them off, no. But I do feel the coach has the right to sit down with the player and explain the players options. If you don't improve you will not see the field. Is this fair, imo yes. But if he still wants to be part of the team follow the rules then he needs to be part of the team. I trust CGC to do the right thing.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, if CGC did this we definitely wouldn't be concerned about going over the allowed numbers. Saban and Smart might as well fire themselves now if they were to start saying this in recruit's living rooms. It's an ugly biz. $ corrupts. If GT starts Bama processing, not graduating players like ugag, and/or winning Fulmer Trophys, I'm out, and a lot of people I know feel the same. Of course, a lot of people feel we should sell our souls for so called Big Boy football. Why not go against the trend, be unique, and still punch above our weight? It makes Ws more special and meaningful.
We did that the last 11 years and half the people here went ballistic over it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: all this talk about Tech and "Big Boy football" is what Chairman Mao used to call "Big Empty Talk". What some here are asking for is that Tech adapt to the football program, not that the football program adapt to Tech. This will not happen. There is no interest among the people who run Tech or have power to change it to do so. Coach has said that he can make us better without the kinds of changes many are talking about here. (An aside: I'm not talking about shooting straight with players about their chances to see the field; Paul did that from the getgo and there's nothing wrong with it.) I take him at his word. So should everybody else. If we can get better without, as Gold says, "selling our souls", then we had better. Because there isn't any other way it'll happen.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We did that the last 11 years and half the people here went ballistic over it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: all this talk about Tech and "Big Boy football" is what Chairman Mao used to call "Big Empty Talk". What some here are asking for is that Tech adapt to the football program, not that the football program adapt to Tech. This will not happen. There is no interest among the people who run Tech or have power to change it to do so. Coach has said that he can make us better without the kinds of changes many are talking about here. (An aside: I'm not talking about shooting straight with players about their chances to see the field; Paul did that from the getgo and there's nothing wrong with it.) I take him at his word. So should everybody else. If we can get better without, as Gold says, "selling our souls", then we had better. Because there isn't any other way it'll happen.
CAN the assistant coaches who evaluate their recruits and train them cant run to the head coach and say its all the players fault.??

The player and coach start as a team, practice as a team, AND ARE EVALUATED AS A TEAM

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The kids are not fools. They only need to know that every kid will be given every opportunity to compete and play. They all have every expectation of playing and starting at some point but 40 roster members will be surprised to find out they are not going to reach that goal at Tech. To those that never played, the work and time involved to stay on a roster to watch others play is great and often not worth the rigor . Our coaches have a responsibility to help those players find a new home where they can enjoy both school and ball. We are making too much out of this process. We are not going to place 5 kids on medical waivers each year like a few schools (Bama) only to see them then transfer to JSU and play for a lesser championship. You can do it the right way. Yes, this is the right way in 2019 but probably looked down on by most schools 20 years ago.
Maybe you should talk to Tyler Meriweather. If he had been processed like some of you think is fine and dandy, he wouldn’t have that GT degree he’s so proud of.

Animal02

Banned
This post seems to reflect a "holier than thou" attitude to me.

It is not "elitist" to believe that GT doesn't currently have the football cachet of georgie, bama, lsu, or mich.

When I was at Tech, before the UselessNews started including student satisfaction or whatever in its rankings, Tech didn't really care about student retention. The best students in the South wanting to become engineers would always apply. Those that survived would be well trained.

The schools that traditionally oversign and process can have the same attitude about football.

By processing, we're not talking about natural attrition. There will always be guys that leave, for whatever reason. Processing refers to guys who are academically eligible and planning on returning being told that their scholarship won't be available.
As well as some have suggested by making the kid's life miserable by whatever means until he does leave. That to me is just as reprehensible.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe you should talk to Tyler Meriweather. If he had been processed like some of you think is fine and dandy, he wouldn’t have that GT degree he’s so proud of.
He was one of the guys that felt the rigor was worth it. If we have 30-40 guys each year that are not on the field, all of those guys wont feel like Tyler. I have no problem with Tyler or any student athlete staying. I just feel that many others will want to reach the field and think they will be fine without their diploma saying the INSTITUTE. How dare I say such a thing! :)