Attendance and Atmosphere

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I was out at a local watering hole catching up with some buddies yesterday. An older gentleman overheard me talking about the Duke game, and he started talking about his visits to GT to watch us play in the 90's when it was Alexander Memorial. This guy is originally from New Jersey, and said he moved down here for work (like most people these days) and would be in regular attendance at GT games because "it was the place to be...even more so than going to Hawks games with Dominique". I've actually heard that quite often from people on the radio and other people in conversation over the years. Steak Shapiro, a local sports radio guy, says it all the time.

If you want to know the potential of GT basketball in terms of attracting "sidewalk" fans, and how far we've fallen since the 90's, that conversation encapsulates how much work we need to do.
It’s true.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On TV the sidelines were backed with fans, many wearing Tech gear and others who were clearly Tech fans. I did not see them on their feet one time. Many sat with arms folded. I watched basketball a lot growing in high school and college and I never saw that before. Gyms are usually eclectic when you are close to the action and sitting shoulder to shoulder with other fans. This was almost like they were bored and were forced to be there. Weird vibe.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
On TV the sidelines were backed with fans, many wearing Tech gear and others who were clearly Tech fans. I did not see them on their feet one time. Many sat with arms folded. I watched basketball a lot growing in high school and college and I never saw that before. Gyms are usually eclectic when you are close to the action and sitting shoulder to shoulder with other fans. This was almost like they were bored and were forced to be there. Weird vibe.
GT fans are by and large older and less emotional than most other fan bases. Old folks. the over 70 crowd, which GT has a lot of, tend not to like to stand for long periods. That is just how it is. Not likely to change. It's up to the students and the younger fans to create the atmosphere.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I watch A LOT of college games and we are the only fanbase like this. Most places a 6-0 run will get the lower deck standing, even in the first half. The emcee and DJ are horrid and don't help. The beginning of the game where he pleads for the crowd to get on their feet til the first basket is just embarrassing. Our team defense definitely mirrors the energy in the building - that possession after the 12-0 run at the end of the first half against BC where Sturdy/Deebo asked for more noise and standing (and the crowd actually responded), they were running around with their hair on fire and got a key end-of-half stop. https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/83b8f432-8012-46cc-99e1-d3f89ef764b0 << 36:25

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
GT fans are by and large older and less emotional than most other fan bases. Old folks. the over 70 crowd, which GT has a lot of, tend not to like to stand for long periods. That is just how it is. Not likely to change. It's up to the students and the younger fans to create the atmosphere.
No one has to stand for long periods but, for goodness sakes, you can’t rise to your feet when there’s a spectacular play or on a key possession? Heck, I even like to stand for particular songs at rock concerts.

It was not like this during the time of the Thriller Dome and I never had anybody tell me to sit down.

Sorry to complain. I just don’t get it.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the piped in hip hop at 130 dB doesn’t really help imo (and I don’t generally mind loud music).

The various analyses above about how UVA adjusted and we had no counter adjustments match what I saw at the game. Amazingly, if UVA misses a couple clutch 3s at the end - we might have salvaged a win anyway.

James Forrest was sitting a couple rows down from us btw, team shook his hand.

One last thought: all our good teams, that I fondly recall, had leaders who would take charge in a close game and refuse to lose. I don’t see that in this team, maybe the potential is there with another year under their belt.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
One last thought: all our good teams, that I fondly recall, had leaders who would take charge in a close game and refuse to lose. I don’t see that in this team, maybe the potential is there with another year under their belt.
Most of the time we as fans see this guy as whoever it is that makes the clutch shots down the stretch.
I think the most successful teams have this guy at the point. He doesn’t have to be the scorer, but he sets the tone and makes someone the scorer. I believe he is 100% on this team but he’s a true frosh. It will come, and I suspect it will come soon. He has already shown it in several games; just needs to build confidence and consistency.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
No one has to stand for long periods but, for goodness sakes, you can’t rise to your feet when there’s a spectacular play or on a key possession? Heck, I even like to stand for particular songs at rock concerts.

It was not like this during the time of the Thriller Dome and I never had anybody tell me to sit down.

Sorry to complain. I just don’t get it.
We agree. I’m sure you saw my post above. Apparently, 33 seconds is too long to stand, even during a potential come from behind rally at the end of a game. Ridiculous.

devcon

Georgia Tech Fan
Having gone to most of our home games either by myself or with only a few others (my usual football tailgate crew is still skeptical of our basketball team) I definitely need to work hard to get those around me up and noisy. I get the feeling that a lot of students got the memo for football once we started performing, but they don’t know the cues for basketball. We’re showing up decently, but we aren’t nearly as loud as we should be.

If I had to bet, it’s a consequence of COVID. It kept most of us from getting the real in-person experience during our ACC champ season and interrupted the passing down of traditions. There are flashes of crowd participation every once in a while. Start winning and we’ll figure it out.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We win most of the games I attend. If GT hired me to show up for games, maybe we'd win more.
Our money in the past has been better spent in hiring point guards from NYC (but other places as well). We all love passionate fans but guards like Kenny and Stephon have better ROI for our limited NIL budget.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
Don’t know why this thread is so negative. I sat in 112 yesterday and the student section in 113 was FULL. Our section was on our feet for most of the game yesterday. My family had a great time and the arena was rocking when it mattered most. (Too many times the fans were shutdown by a wide open UVA three, I will admit.) Good things are coming though. I promise. It was a fantastic atmosphere!

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Don’t know why this thread is so negative. I sat in 112 yesterday and the student section in 113 was FULL. Our section was on our feet for most of the game yesterday. My family had a great time and the arena was rocking when it mattered most. (Too many times the fans were shutdown by a wide open UVA three, I will admit.) Good things are coming though. I promise. It was a fantastic atmosphere!
I’m glad to hear y’all had a good time. Sounds like you were surrounded by other passionate fans. That helps. It sure beats being surrounded by a bunch of the sit on your hands types. I would stick to section 112 if I were you. It sounds like a fun section.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if there was student overflow into 112 for this game. That could be why your section was standing. I’m in 102 and the section only stood when it got down to 5 or 6 after the George FTs late. The arena has to be rocking the whole game, not just when we are down late.

I’m hoping to get to an Auburn game again this season. I always recommend them if you want to see what McCamish could be and it’s only about a 105 minute drive from Atlanta.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Biggest issue with crowd noise Saturday was UVA simply made a 3 every time we threatened to go on a run. Took the air out of the building every single time.

A much smaller issue is, Terry, the MC, is subpar. The lady that filled in for the Duke game did a 100 times better and I wish we could get her on a more regular basis.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Biggest issue with crowd noise Saturday was UVA simply made a 3 every time we threatened to go on a run. Took the air out of the building every single time.

A much smaller issue is, Terry, the MC, is subpar. The lady that filled in for the Duke game did a 100 times better and I wish we could get her on a more regular basis.

Defensive breakdowns resulting in timely 3’s by uva did take some air out of the arena, but tech fans taking the air out of other tech fans by griping and complaining about standing and cheering is emblematic of the real problem with the Whisperdome.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Defensive breakdowns resulting in timely 3’s by uva did take some air out of the arena, but tech fans taking the air out of other tech fans by griping and complaining about standing and cheering is emblematic of the real problem with the Whisperdome.
You don't have to stand to cheer and be loud. I really bristle at the hubris of fans who think the only way to be a good fan is their way.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
You don't have to stand to cheer and be loud. I really bristle at the hubris of fans who think the only way to be a good fan is their way.

I have no problem with standing and cheering. But those who think you have to stand the entire game to be a proper fan are ridiculous.
I knew you would bristle, you usually do. I’ve heard (read) you spew on this issue before. No hubris here. Re-read my post and try to put your own hubris aside this time. I don’t care if you or anybody else stands to cheer, but it pisses me off when somebody has the gall to say I should sit down when there are a mere 33 seconds on the clock during a closely contested game. That is truly ridiculous, and another level of hubris in my opinion.