Attendance and Atmosphere

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That side is just the women’s natty banners. Near side not shown hangs the men’s banners. I was a UConn fan at the time so I didn’t mind 2004 ;). A bunch of guys from the 1999 squad that beat Duke in the championship were at the game last night because Richard Hamilton was getting his number retired. Definitely the basketball capital of the world.

We stood for a good chunk of the game. Definitely after every made 3. The seating is benches and much more cramped than McCamish but it makes for a better atmosphere.
Ever been to Dean Dome? Or Rupp Arena? You’d get some arguments there.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Been to the Dean Dome, yep. Lots of history there but nobody has had the men’s and women’s basketball success in the country like UConn has.
That comment shows your age. UCONN was nothing before Calhoun came over from Northeastern in '86. I grew up in Connecticut and UCONN was my safety school. Half my class went there and a friend of mine married Calhoun's son. They've become a basketball blue-blood, but Storrs is not the basketball capital of the world. They've owned WBB since Auriemma arrived about the same time as Calhoun. Before 1990, neither team was any good, ever.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That comment shows your age. UCONN was nothing before Calhoun came over from Northeastern in '86. I grew up in Connecticut and UCONN was my safety school. Half my class went there and a friend of mine married Calhoun's son. They've become a basketball blue-blood, but Storrs is not the basketball capital of the world. They've owned WBB since Auriemma arrived about the same time as Calhoun. Before 1990, neither team was any good, ever.
Combined 16 National Championships since 1995 screams very loudly they have been dominant in both mens and womens BB for the past 30 years.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Been to the Dean Dome, yep. Lots of history there but nobody has had the men’s and women’s basketball success in the country like UConn has.
1708907637140.jpeg

1708907717825.jpeg

1708907754029.jpeg

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Combined 16 National Championships since 1995 screams very loudly they have been dominant in both mens and womens BB for the past 30 years.
The Pauley Pavilion (UCLA, 11 championships) has lost its top standing long ago. I say Rupp still holds down the top spot in college ball. But the true Mecca of Basketball is NYC’s Rucker Park.

https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/holcombe-rucker-park/history#:~:text=In%20the%20late%201960s%20and,Earl%20'the%20Goat'%20Manigault.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I was talking about both programs together. Obviously, WBB has been domination.
UCONN Men’s team is tied for 4th with Duke and Indiana with 5 NCAA Championships. Only behind UCLA, Kentucky and UNC. That is Blue Blood status. Not as long a history but the past 30 years they have the most titles for each men and women.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
UCONN Men’s team is tied for 4th with Duke and Indiana with 5 NCAA Championships. Only behind UCLA, Kentucky and UNC. That is Blue Blood status. Not as long a history but the past 30 years they have the most titles for each men and women.
We're not disagreeing.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We're not disagreeing.
Ok, you seemed to be downplaying UCONN's men's team in your earlier posts. Glad we agree. They don't have the history of UCLA or UK but have been the far better overall team as far as NDs go the past 30 years. Heck Indiana has been nowhere near them the past 30 years. Their only true peers have been Duke and UNC.

Hurley seems to be great fit there.

The women's team clearly is not as dominant as they were a few years ago but they are still very good. Seems USC East is now the Big Dog in Womens BB.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ok, you seemed to be downplaying UCONN's men's team in your earlier posts. Glad we agree. They don't have the history of UCLA or UK but have been the far better overall team as far as NDs go the past 30 years. Heck Indiana has been nowhere near them the past 30 years. Their only true peers have been Duke and UNC.

The women's team clearly is not as dominant as they were a few years ago but they are still very good. Seems USC East is now the Big Dog in Womens BB.
CBB, like CFB, is really about the Head Coach. When comparing anything that UCONN's WBB did under Auriemma, everything seems to be a downplay.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
CBB, like CFB, is really about the Head Coach. When comparing anything that UCONN's WBB did under Auriemma, everything seems to be a downplay.
It will be interesting to see how Staley continues at USC East. They are on the verge of a heck of a run and the competition is much tougher now. I doubt there will ever be a run like Geno had at UCONN’s peak.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see how Staley continues at USC East. They are on the verge of a heck of a run and the competition is much tougher now. I doubt there will ever be a run like Geno had at UCONN’s peak.
The only thing that comes close is UNC Women's Soccer, and that may eclipse UCONN WBB. GT drone-racing is starting its domination with back-to-back championships. Give us another 20 years and we'll be talked about like UCONN WBB or UNC Woemen's Soccer...

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The only thing that comes close is UNC Women's Soccer, and that may eclipse UCONN WBB. GT drone-racing is starting its domination with back-to-back championships. Give us another 20 years and we'll be talked about like UCONN WBB or UNC Woemen's Soccer...
Anson Dorrance is near retirement and the UNC soccer dominance is not what it once was. Women's soccer was not as competitive in his early years and lots of schools didn't have teams. The USA Women's soccer team success has helped increase interest in the sport and colleges have started programs. It will be interesting to see what happens to UNC Women's soccer when he retires. They will have lots of former players that could take it over but lots more competition now.
This is very similar to WBB situation at UConn.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Unquestionably, no team has capitalized on successful tournament runs like Uconn. As you note, 5 national titles in 30 years is unbelievably impressive. Extraordinary really. That said, when considering the "best programs" or the "Blue-Bloods," I don't think it is fair to only look at titles. Despite winning 5 national titles in 30 years, Uconn has also missed the tourney entirely 10 times over that stretch (33% of the time). Incredibly, they won 5 national titles in only 6 trips to the Final Four! (For comparison, Kentucky went to the Final Four 4 times in a row from 2011 to 2015 and only won 1 title.) Even more impressively, two of those titles came when UConn was a 4-seed and 7-seed! Their 4-seed in 2023 was actually their highest seed in over a decade, yet they won 2 titles during that time.

Extraordinarily impressive tournament stuff and the absolute best tournament record of any team in the country in the tourney over the last 30 years, bar none. Not saying at all that they don't deserve to be called a Blue-Blood, but I do think it is worth noting the extraordinary nature of their success in context.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Unquestionably, no team has capitalized on successful tournament runs like Uconn. As you note, 5 national titles in 30 years is unbelievably impressive. Extraordinary really. That said, when considering the "best programs" or the "Blue-Bloods," I don't think it is fair to only look at titles. Despite winning 5 national titles in 30 years, Uconn has also missed the tourney entirely 10 times over that stretch (33% of the time). Incredibly, they won 5 national titles in only 6 trips to the Final Four! (For comparison, Kentucky went to the Final Four 4 times in a row from 2011 to 2015 and only won 1 title.) Even more impressively, two of those titles came when UConn was a 4-seed and 7-seed! Their 4-seed in 2023 was actually their highest seed in over a decade, yet they won 2 titles during that time.

Extraordinarily impressive tournament stuff and the absolute best tournament record of any team in the country in the tourney over the last 30 years, bar none. Not saying at all that they don't deserve to be called a Blue-Blood, but I do think it is worth noting the extraordinary nature of their success in context.
As they say you play to win the games. NCATT games are very hard to win. Winning 6 in a row, especially as they have not been a top seed all that often is even more impressive. They likely are a 1 or 2 seed this year.