Attendance and Atmosphere

slugboy

Staff member
I’m glad to hear y’all had a good time. Sounds like you were surrounded by other passionate fans. That helps. It sure beats being surrounded by a bunch of the sit on your hands types. I would stick to section 112 if I were you. It sounds like a fun section.
You’re probably too young to remember these guys. There’s a lot of this in Atlanta fan boards (not just us)
Statler And Waldorf Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

Laugh Laughing GIF

I have no problem with standing and cheering. But those who think you have to stand the entire game to be a proper fan are ridiculous.

Atlanta United figured out that they should have a supporter’s section. Fans in their 60’s or older (at least, a lot of them) aren’t going to be standing. We can figure that out—we need to be smarter about our ticketing.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
You’re probably too young to remember these guys. There’s a lot of this in Atlanta fan boards (not just us)
Statler And Waldorf Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

Laugh Laughing GIF

Atlanta United figured out that they should have a supporter’s section. Fans in their 60’s or older (at least, a lot of them) aren’t going to be standing. We can figure that out—we need to be smarter about our ticketing.

I understand folks with medical issues and the like. But truthfully a lot of it is just lazy and entitlement. My dad's 72 and stands up on normal stand up stuff (ie 3rd downs, punts, etc.)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I knew you would bristle, you usually do. I’ve heard (read) you spew on this issue before. No hubris here. Re-read my post and try to put your own hubris aside this time. I don’t care if you or anybody else stands to cheer, but it pisses me off when somebody has the gall to say I should sit down when there are a mere 33 seconds on the clock during a closely contested game. That is truly ridiculous, and another level of hubris in my opinion.
LOL! I didn't accuse you of anything, or at least, didn't intend to accuse you of anything. There were two distinct thoughts in my reply to your post. I guess you could take my comment personally because I was responding to your post, but I didn't intend for that to be a reflection on you because you weren't saying everyone needed to stand the whole game.

There are those out there who criticize people who don't stand as being less. Those are the posters I take issue with. As I said in response to @LargeFO, I have no problems with standing and getting loud; but it doesn't have to be the entire game, like some believe. You can make noise and cheer many ways.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think anyone on here wants to be a Nazi about enforcing “their way” to be a fan. Respect for differences can go both directions with no skin off anyone’s back.

But some of us are little tired of excuses why Tech can have the same big time energy other schools have. The Thrillerdome was called that for a reason. Fan energy used to be a thing for Tech. It will be hard to get to the next level without it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think anyone on here wants to be a Nazi about enforcing “their way” to be a fan. Respect for differences can go both directions with no skin off anyone’s back.

But some of us are little tired of excuses why Tech can have the same big time energy other schools have. The Thrillerdome was called that for a reason. Fan energy used to be a thing for Tech. It will be hard to get to the next level without it.
I was a student from 87-93 and then from 95-99. I agree there was no place like the Thrillerdome. McCamish is intimate and has the capacity to be just as loud and raucous as AMC was back then. It's more a matter of getting butts in seats more than what those butts are doing. We're headed in the right direction.

slugboy

Staff member
I understand folks with medical issues and the like. But truthfully a lot of it is just lazy and entitlement. My dad's 72 and stands up on normal stand up stuff (ie 3rd downs, punts, etc.)
I’ve been a rare person standing in my section before.

I think fans have to teach other fans.

I think there are a large group of people who never learned how to cheer at games—especially in Atlanta

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You don't, but don't come to a sporting event if some standing here and there is gonna hurt your booty. It happens to me at football games too and it's ridiculous.
And we wonder why GT has an attendance problem for Football and Basketball.

Sitting on bleachers for nearly 4 hours for the over 70 crowd is just a bad physical experience. Standing for long periods of time to see a game is also a bad experience for Old Folks.

If GT wants to make some sections "limited standing" they would not likely get any push back. If the redid the west stands with NFL level chair back seats many would be very happy.

The GT fan base is a bit different than the typical college fan base.

And being a bad team in basketball for the majority of the past 15 years has a very negative effect on a fan base. Winning matters. Playing exciting basketball matters as well. Hopefully we are on track to turn around our losing bad basketball. WE have a ways to go yet!

Last edited:

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
And we wonder why GT has an attendance problem for Football and Basketball.

Sitting on bleachers for nearly 4 hours for the over 70 crowd is just a bad physical experience. Standing for long periods of time to see a game is also a bad experience for Old Folks.

If GT wants to make some sections "limited standing" they would not likely get any push back. If the redid the west stands with NFL level chair back seats many would be very happy.

The GT fan base is a bit different than the typical college fan base.

If standing and sitting are both bad then watch from home?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
And don't complain about low attendance. There are ways to accomodate all GT fans regardless of age or physical condition. We need all the fans we can get. It's not hard to have a "family section" and a section where fans can sit for most of the games. The AA could take care of this very easily.

Of course GT fans would throw a fit if their seats were moved 10 feet.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
And don't complain about low attendance. There are ways to accomodate all GT fans regardless of age or physical condition. We need all the fans we can get. It's not hard to have a "family section" and a section where fans can sit for most of the games. The AA could take care of this very easily.

Of course GT fans would throw a fit if their seats were moved 10 feet.
I’m good with that idea.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am good with up and down. Up when we need to be, down when we can be. I'm great with up for 3rd (4th) downs. I'm great for up when we're making/made a great play. I'm great for up when we're singing the Ramblin' Wreck. I'm great for screaming and cheering from a seated position during normal plays. I can't stand the whole game. My knees and hips won't allow it. However, I am great with standing and cheering.

I am all for standing-only sections. I'm okay with those being low and near the court/field. But, I don't think that someone has the right to stand the entire game in front of others and obscure their view. I'm not for people sitting on their hands, either. Just my opinion.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I feel like we have just about covered all the nuances of standing vs non-standing as well as mutual tolerance for different fan accommodations.

Now let’s double down on the REASON behind why this is critical. Fans, in my humble opinion, have never had the total fan experience if they’ve never been a part of a group that actually impacted the outcome of a game. If you’ve never felt like you helped “will your team” to victory you haven’t lived as a sports fan. If you’ve never heard a player say after a game “the fans helped us win,” then you will never know the quiet satisfaction that comes from feeling like “I did my part.” Even in a loss you can feel like you “left it all” on the court or on the field.

We are talking about the ultimate bonding experience that can happen between you, your fellow fans, and the athletes. This is the only thing that creates a home court or home field advantage.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
And being a bad team in basketball for the majority of the past 15 years has a very negative effect on a fan base. Winning matters. Playing exciting basketball matters as well. Hopefully we are on track to turn around our losing bad basketball. WE have a ways to go yet!
This is what has kept me away the last few years...

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
A much smaller issue is, Terry, the MC, is subpar. The lady that filled in for the Duke game did a 100 times better and I wish we could get her on a more regular basis.
Is that the same Terry that's been forced on us at FB games the last few years as a "DJ"?!