Atlanta United FC

Techster

Helluva Engineer
7 in a row!

I really think Atl United fans are going to miss BDS when games move to the Benz. Saw photos of the stadium, and it just looks cavernous. BDS isn't small by any means, but the dimensions of the soccer field make our stadium feel cozy like you're on top of the action.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
7 in a row!

I really think Atl United fans are going to miss BDS when games move to the Benz. Saw photos of the stadium, and it just looks cavernous. BDS isn't small by any means, but the dimensions of the soccer field make our stadium feel cozy like you're on top of the action.

Do you think they will open up the upper deck at the Benz? I think they should go for 60k

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Do you think they will open up the upper deck at the Benz? I think they should go for 60k

Oh, I think the first game at the Benz they will open all the seats. I'm pretty confident it will sell out. After that? Who knows, but there's strong evidence that Atl United could easily average over 50K attendance.

I know if they open up the North Stands at BDS it would probably sell out as well. Demand for tickets is crazy right now. I keep telling everyone that more people actually show up to tailgate and hang out on campus before games than attend the games. A good portion of those fans want to go to the game but don't have tix.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Has anyone gone yet? I have yet to but do want to go before they move on down to Mercedes stadium. I bet the vibe would be better at Bobby Dodd and hey, it's kinda extra special for alums right?

One question - are there lots of scalping right outside the stadium or in the vicinity on match day like we usually see during the football game days?

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been to a couple of games. You should definitely go. It is a great atmosphere. The crowd is amazing, really lively. Seven straight sell outs I believe.
I don't know about scalping outside the stadium. I didn't notice if there was. I purchased my tickets online.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been to 4 home games, including tonight's win over Colorado. Great fun. Wish all GT home games had a similar vibe. #GoJackets

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Hummer: Will Atlanta United miss Bobby Dodd when it leaves?
There are four more soccer games scheduled at Tech before Atlanta United is scheduled to move into Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Only hope that opulent setting doesn’t rob Atlanta United of the quaint charms that have visited this new team at this old football stadium.

“It’s going to be tough to leave to be honest,” midfielder Jeff Larentowicz said.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I touched on this earlier. The old bleacher seating style that packs the fans in, and the field dimensions that expand almost to the bleachers which makes the action at all seats great, and just BDS's location to everything for pre and post game is going to be difficult for the Benz to beat. All of that creates just a fantastic sports atmosphere for fans.

Don't get me wrong, the Benz will probably provide things BDS can't touch because of the advances in construction and technology, but for pure game environment, I'm not sure the Benz will approach BDS. For those that have not gone to a game at BDS, I urge you to go...at least to see how much of great environment GT games can be.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I ended up going to my first ATL United game last night (for July 4) and it was great!!!! Atlanta winning 4-2 certainly helped but the game vibe and fan intensity is just something else compared to football. I wish we had this level of fan intensity at our Tech games. The fans were virtually all ATL fans... it's not the lopsided thing we see at our games where the visiting teams packs Bobby Dodd than the Tech fans. Though, I saw many fans with ugag hats... felt like BDS was getting violated. FYI - I bought a fan-to-fan resale ticket off of ticketmaster, came out to $66 and change after fees (nice job ticketmaster for double-dipping on fees). Section 106, row 25. Prime seating. There were plethora of cheaper seats but about an 1-2 hours before the match (being July 4, many didn't make it), the cheap seats were disappearing quickly. Did see scalpers right outside the stadium but not in the numbers you see on a fall Saturday.

What's going to suck for me personally is that I live a stone's throw away from Tech and can walk to BDS... plus the familiarity with campus and this section of Midtown with all the businesses around it. It will be different having to "commute" to/from MBS.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Apparently some visiting fans from Orlando got kicked out (possibly arrested?) for breaking some of the bleachers in BDS during the game this past weekend. smh

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Upper decks will be closed for the first two games, then they will open them for Sept 17 game. Should break quite a few records then.

Atl U currently leads MLS in attendance at 46K+. Would probably be closer to if not over 50K if Upper North at BDS was open. BDS did well for an "old" stadium!

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck

Great atmosphere at MBS today. I don't know if it was louder than at BDS but it got pretty loud. Great win in the first game in the new place. Hopefully we can break the MLS attendance record on Sept 16th against Orlando.