Atlanta United FC

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Is every single team named United? I watched the Minnesota game, guess who? United. Now D.C.?
United must be the Bulldogs/Wildcats of soccer. Really wish we didn't choose it.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Is every single team named United? I watched the Minnesota game, guess who? United. Now D.C.?
United must be the Bulldogs/Wildcats of soccer. Really wish we didn't choose it.
Yea there was DC United already then Minnesota and Atlanta got expansion teams for this year (both in their first season.) Minnesota announced they were going to be United and everyone was kind of like but theres DC then Atlanta a month or so later was like WHATS UP COOL KIDS WE'RE UNITED TOO!!!

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Yea there was DC United already then Minnesota and Atlanta got expansion teams for this year (both in their first season.) Minnesota announced they were going to be United and everyone was kind of like but theres DC then Atlanta a month or so later was like WHATS UP COOL KIDS WE'RE UNITED TOO!!!
Atlanta Dynamo would have been a cool name also

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Do you think this could continue if GT added a soccer program?

Can't compare pro and college sports. Atl United brings together fans from all walks and different college fans and non college fans. Same applies to Falcons, Hawks, Braves.

GT by virtue of being a college is a narrower fanbase, as is any other college.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This was on 5/23:

Not bad for a city that's indifferent towards pro sports. Every home game has been sold out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Dodd front and center helping with this. These numbers would be well over 50K if they opened up the North Stands for all the games:

Even if you're not a soccer fan, I encourage you to come out and take in at least 1 Atlanta United game at BDS before they move to the Benz. You'll be at awe at what kind of atmosphere these games have, and the potential that GT games can have. The coordination of chants, EVERY fan not sitting the entire 90 minutes, and what kind of home advantage BDS gives the team is awesome.

Deleted member 2897

Bobby Dodd front and center helping with this. These numbers would be well over 50K if they opened up the North Stands for all the games:

Even if you're not a soccer fan, I encourage you to come out and take in at least 1 Atlanta United game at BDS before they move to the Benz. You'll be at awe at what kind of atmosphere these games have, and the potential that GT games can have. The coordination of chants, EVERY fan not sitting the entire 90 minutes, and what kind of home advantage BDS gives the team is awesome.

Did the MLS put that chart together? Georgia Tech University, LOL.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you listen to the broadcasts, they always say "Bobby Dodd Stadium in Midtown Atlanta." I've never heard them mention "on the campus of Georgia Tech" or "Home of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets" or any such GT reference. It's silent on that to the point that it appears intentional. You'd think that at least once during the broadcast there'd be a mention of GT. I haven't seen every game, but I've seen 3 or 4 broadcasts here in Chicago, and I haven't heard it. We all know BDS is GT, but most lay soccer fans have no idea who Bobby Dodd is. Hell, most college football fans don't know who Bobby Dodd is.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you listen to the broadcasts, they always say "Bobby Dodd Stadium in Midtown Atlanta." I've never heard them mention "on the campus of Georgia Tech" or "Home of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets" or any such GT reference. It's silent on that to the point that it appears intentional. You'd think that at least once during the broadcast there'd be a mention of GT. I haven't seen every game, but I've seen 3 or 4 broadcasts here in Chicago, and I haven't heard it. We all know BDS is GT, but most lay soccer fans have no idea who Bobby Dodd is. Hell, most college football fans don't know who Bobby Dodd is.

I think you're being overly sensitive. I hear them refer to "Georgia Tech" plenty...as much as any location needs to be mentioned during a broadcast. In the end, it's about the game and what's going on within the game and not about the location. This is professional sports so they're not going to talk about the culture of a school or what's going on on campus that week...this is a temporary arrangement. If GT wants "Georgia Tech" to be mentioned more, GT should have done a better job of negiotiating tenancy with Atl United and put in stipulations that GT be featured every game somehow/someway. If they didn't, then it's GT's fault for dropping the ball, not the broadcaster's responsibility to mention "Georgia Tech" all the time.

The best thing GT has going for them is they get 60K fans (if not more) showing up in and around campus every Atl United home game. Seriously, more people show up to tailgate and hang out than actually go to the games. If GT doesn't take advantage of having that many people on campus, than that's a failure on GT's part.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think you're being overly sensitive. I hear them refer to "Georgia Tech" plenty...as much as any location needs to be mentioned during a broadcast. In the end, it's about the game and what's going on within the game and not about the location. This is professional sports so they're not going to talk about the culture of a school or what's going on on campus that week...this is a temporary arrangement. If GT wants "Georgia Tech" to be mentioned more, GT should have done a better job of negiotiating tenancy with Atl United and put in stipulations that GT be featured every game somehow/someway. If they didn't, then it's GT's fault for dropping the ball, not the broadcaster's responsibility to mention "Georgia Tech" all the time.

The best thing GT has going for them is they get 60K fans (if not more) showing up in and around campus every Atl United home game. Seriously, more people show up to tailgate and hang out than actually go to the games. If GT doesn't take advantage of having that many people on campus, than that's a failure on GT's part.
Have to disagree with you. I don't get FSS, so only when it's on ESPN network do I get to see the game. However, I have never heard them mention GT once. The reason I've noticed it isn't being sensitive about GT, it's that every broadcast I've watched, it's not been mentioned. The absence has made me more "sensitive" to the description of the field, so if they did mention GT, I would have noticed it. I really don't care, but it is interesting that the announcers almost seem to be going out of their way to not mention GT.

I'm not asking you to agree with me. This is my perception based on my experience. My feelings aren't hurt that you disagree with me, but I'm definitely not being overly sensitive. I do think, based on the reasons for the color schemes, the uniforms should have been red with gold stripes and black lettering. But it is what it is. I'll never own a home jersey.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Have to disagree with you. I don't get FSS, so only when it's on ESPN network do I get to see the game. However, I have never heard them mention GT once. The reason I've noticed it isn't being sensitive about GT, it's that every broadcast I've watched, it's not been mentioned. The absence has made me more "sensitive" to the description of the field, so if they did mention GT, I would have noticed it. I really don't care, but it is interesting that the announcers almost seem to be going out of their way to not mention GT.

I'm not asking you to agree with me. This is my perception based on my experience. My feelings aren't hurt that you disagree with me, but I'm definitely not being overly sensitive. I do think, based on the reasons for the color schemes, the uniforms should have been red with gold stripes and black lettering. But it is what it is. I'll never own a home jersey.

I can respect that. If it makes you feel better, the colors have a meaning although I can understand why some think it's to market to that school up 316.

https://www.atlutd.com/club/about

Just remember, the most important color is gold!

Personally, I will never buy a home jersey either as I've been conditioned to never own anything red. I was sporting a black AtlU polo at the game and it was scorching hot. Unfortunately, AtlU apparel selection is slimmer than GT's.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
...the colors have a meaning although I can understand why some think it's to market to that school up 316.

https://www.atlutd.com/club/about

Just remember, the most important color is gold!

I don't believe for a moment that the red/black wasn't to attract the uga fans and the gold wasn't added to appease the GT crown. Obviously, there's more uga fans than GT fans. There's a reason the Falcons, Hawks, Flames and Thrashers all have (had) red significantly in their color schemes.