Atlanta Braves News

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Gee, the Braves bullpen coughed up another lead in the 9th inning. What a surprise!

Snitker should tell his starters they are all throwing 120 pitches from here on out. Results can’t possibly be worse.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
First, I'm glad we won. Second, I'm glad with the later start that I went to bed well before the game was over and didn't have to murder my tv watching the bullpen try to screw us over again.

Regarding the Folty talk, I'm not sure I agree with it but I do think it's an interesting thought about him being a closer. My issue with Folty is that he struggles being efficient and putting guys away. Seems like every other start he has, you'll look up at the end of the 5th inning and he's only given up 1 run but he's had to throw 90 pitches. To be a top shelf starter, you need to be going into the 7th inning regularly and I just don't get that vibe from Folty. Maybe the stats tell a different story but that's just my opinion.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
It was an interesting read, Mike.
He’s 31, like Flowers. I’m concerned with his knees. Posey has been catching since little league. The Giants might put him at 1B or trade him to a DH club eventually.

I’m in your camp with Realmuto or trade for a younger backstop, and sign Zuki for another year.

The Folty argument which has been on the net for a few years, is that he is a “Smoltz” type. I’m in that camp because of the “team” weaknesses. Closers are difficult to find, unlike set up guys or even starters. He throws hard, if he drops a pitch as a one-inning or two at the most, his control will be better. Won’t have those 25-30 pitch innings. Can go right after the hitters. Not having to pace himself or go finesse.

Are you enjoying Biddle and Brach in this role? The whole bullpen seems like it needs an enema, using 5 or 6 men a game, trying to survive this chaos. Minter can come in during the 7th or 8th, Vizcaino can pitch more sparingly.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
It was an interesting read, Mike.
He’s 31, like Flowers. I’m concerned with his knees. Posey has been catching since little league. The Giants might put him at 1B or trade him to a DH club eventually.

I’m in your camp with Realmuto or trade for a younger backstop, and sign Zuki for another year.

The Folty argument which has been on the net for a few years, is that he is a “Smoltz” type. I’m in that camp because of the “team” weaknesses. Closers are difficult to find, unlike set up guys or even starters. He throws hard, if he drops a pitch as a one-inning or two at the most, his control will be better. Won’t have those 25-30 pitch innings. Can go right after the hitters. Not having to pace himself or go finesse.

Are you enjoying Biddle and Brach in this role? The whole bullpen seems like it needs an enema, using 5 or 6 men a game, trying to survive this chaos. Minter can come in during the 7th or 8th, Vizcaino can pitch more sparingly.
The Bullpen needs a facelift in my opinion;) Some trades would be in order(y)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Camargo hits 14th homer in 93 games, since being planted at 3B.
Suzuki has hit in 14 of last 16 games while getting an AB(.350 avg.)
Braves 11 games over on the road.
Only 10-18 vs. NL West.
3 1/2 game lead. Picked up a whole game on the Nats.
Magic number down to 20. Yes, I’m the eternal optimist(except the bullpen).

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you want to pay $30+M for an outfielder you can sign Harper this offseason and not trade anything from the farm.

I am in the camp that believes the Braves need a top all star type of bat in the lineup but either of these options are at the top end of the pay range. Not sure I would do either one as a GM. Haven't looked to see who else is available this offseason and might fit.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
It would be nice to have Mike Trout in the middle of the lineup but the Braves would probably have to gut their minor league system.

Yeah, steep proposal from that article.

The exec proposed the following package from the Braves: Outfielder Ender Inciarte and left-hander Sean Newcomb plus the Nos. 2, 3, 4 and 7 prospects, according to MLBPipeline.com, from a talent-rich system: right-handers Kyle Wright and Ian Anderson, third baseman Austin Riley and righty Touki Toussaint. Sounds like a lot? Of course it's a lot -- the Braves would be getting Mike Trout.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
F.A. Catchers
Yasmani Grandal (30 years old, 2.6 WAR)
Wilson Ramos (31, 2.5)
Kurt Suzuki (35, 1.7)
A.J. Ellis (38, 1.0)
Martin Maldonado (32, 0.9)
Nick Hundley (35, 0.8)
Jonathan Lucroy (33, 0.5)
Devin Mesoraco (31, 0.5)
Rene Rivera (35, 0.4)
Matt Wieters (33, 0.4)
Jeff Mathis (36, -0.2)
Drew Butera (35, -0

F.A. Left fielders
Michael Brantley (32 years old, 2.6 WAR)
Marwin Gonzalez (30, 1.3)
Curtis Granderson (38, 0.6)
Craig Gentry (35, 0.5)
Cameron Maybin (32, 0.4)
Matt Joyce (34, 0.1)
Gregor Blanco (35, -0.4)
Hunter Pence (36, -0.8)

F.A. Center fielders
Leonys Martin (31 years old, 2.5 WAR)
A.J. Pollock (31, 1.9)
Adam Jones (33, 0.6)
Rajai Davis (38, 0.3)
Austin Jackson (32, -0.3)

F.A. Right fielders
Bryce Harper (26 years old, 3.1 WAR)
Nick Markakis (35, 2.6)
Jason Heyward (29, 2.2) -- Can opt out of the five years and $106 million remaining on his contract.
Carlos Gonzalez (33, 1.9)
Andrew McCutchen (32, 1.8)
Jon Jay (33, 1.1)
Lonnie Chisenhall (30, 0.8)
Melky Cabrera (34, 0.4)
Jose Bautista (38, 0.4)
Carlos Gomez (33, -0.3)
Chris Young (35, -0.5)

Sánchez, Brach, Venters are free agents, as Braves twirlers.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You can take Heyward off that list.
Ain't no way in hell, hadies, or Athens he opts out of his current agreement.

Interesting to see where Markakis fits on that list - recognizing the vagaries of WAR.
Not a lot of young high WAR options.

Leads you to believe acquisitions may come more from trades than FA. Who knows - we'll see

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
F.A. Catchers
Yasmani Grandal (30 years old, 2.6 WAR)
Wilson Ramos (31, 2.5)
Kurt Suzuki (35, 1.7)
A.J. Ellis (38, 1.0)
Martin Maldonado (32, 0.9)
Nick Hundley (35, 0.8)
Jonathan Lucroy (33, 0.5)
Devin Mesoraco (31, 0.5)
Rene Rivera (35, 0.4)
Matt Wieters (33, 0.4)
Jeff Mathis (36, -0.2)
Drew Butera (35, -0

F.A. Left fielders
Michael Brantley (32 years old, 2.6 WAR)
Marwin Gonzalez (30, 1.3)
Curtis Granderson (38, 0.6)
Craig Gentry (35, 0.5)
Cameron Maybin (32, 0.4)
Matt Joyce (34, 0.1)
Gregor Blanco (35, -0.4)
Hunter Pence (36, -0.8)

F.A. Center fielders
Leonys Martin (31 years old, 2.5 WAR)
A.J. Pollock (31, 1.9)
Adam Jones (33, 0.6)
Rajai Davis (38, 0.3)
Austin Jackson (32, -0.3)

F.A. Right fielders
Bryce Harper (26 years old, 3.1 WAR)
Nick Markakis (35, 2.6)
Jason Heyward (29, 2.2) -- Can opt out of the five years and $106 million remaining on his contract.
Carlos Gonzalez (33, 1.9)
Andrew McCutchen (32, 1.8)
Jon Jay (33, 1.1)
Lonnie Chisenhall (30, 0.8)
Melky Cabrera (34, 0.4)
Jose Bautista (38, 0.4)
Carlos Gomez (33, -0.3)
Chris Young (35, -0.5)

Sánchez, Brach, Venters are free agents, as Braves twirlers.

Honestly, there not a player on that list with the exception of Harper I would look at. Suzuki I think of a Brave so I'm not ignoring him LOL!!!