Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
This could be a two game swing in the standings. If the Pills and Nats weren’t watching this disaster, they certainly will hear about it before their games tonight. Instead of a chance to go up 4 games, it might be half of that by COB or prior to our plane arriving in Arizona. I’m predicting the Fish get carved, gutted and fried. The Cards will get Natty bit & shuffled.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Been a long time since I was this pi**ed about a game. Laying blame is a futile exercise but if ONE of the relievers had done the job we wouldn't be talking about this. I get it's against the best team in baseball but our guys are pros as well! Can I be pi**ed at Snitker as well? Of course but it still boils down to the (a) pitcher(s) doing what they are paid well to do!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Biddle pitched a perfect 7 th, I won’t throw him under the bus. I get your point about Snitker and Co.

Marlins beat pathetic Phillies, 2-1.

Nats down a run in the 8th to the Redbirds.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping for one against Boston so today - while excruitiatingly bad to watch - was not really much of a difference in where I expected this team. Hope it is a learning experience for all concerned. They will muddle their way into a series finale with Philly that will be fun to watch and likely decide the NL E. So far above where I thought they would be this year.

Use the pressure of the playoff run to decide who the horses are you are going to ride for the next 5 years and use the rest to trade for pieces to fill in the holes. Good scenario and chance to see who steps up.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Kevin has always been a starter. Changes speeds, multiple pitches with control, not a flame thrower. Leave him be. He’s consistent. We actually can rest the majority of the bullpen and Chuck Hernandez can sleep the night before.

My playoff rotation: Sánchez, Gausman, Teheran and Newcomb(fourth starter or long man). Pen: Folty, Minter, Vizcaino, Venters, Carle and Biddle. If we carry more than that(hide the matches)-Brach, Winkler, Kyle Wright(a perfect two innings, but only 20 y.o.). Hide all flammable items, fire starters, et al-Jackson, Freeman, Moylan.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Kevin has always been a starter. Changes speeds, multiple pitches with control, not a flame thrower. Leave him be. He’s consistent. We actually can rest the majority of the bullpen and Chuck Hernandez can sleep the night before.

My playoff rotation: Sánchez, Gausman, Teheran and Newcomb(fourth starter or long man). Pen: Folty, Minter, Vizcaino, Venters, Carle and Biddle. If we carry more than that(hide the matches)-Brach, Winkler, Kyle Wright(a perfect two innings, but only 20 y.o.). Hide all flammable items, fire starters, et al-Jackson, Freeman, Moylan.

Can't say I disagree with that logic.
Newcomb and Folty have been disappointing lately and IMO Newcomb is definitely not a bullpen fit.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I would not put Folty in the pen. Dude is our Ace. He went 6 Innings with only 1 run against the Sox yesterday. He also has the 4th best ERA in the league.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
It’s only my opinion, but in trying to take some pressure off and relax Newk with his walks, I said 4th starter or Long Man. Seems to get hit harder the second or third time around in the opposition lineup the last two months.

Many think Folty is a closer. Look at how many no decisions, when he comes out after 5 or 6 innings? He throws more pitches than most. Power pitcher. It serves the team little good, when we need good pitching at the end of the game as these pinch hitters are destroying our chances. Good teams find your weaknesses, and we know where ours are. No way to acquire a closer now.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
1.deGrom • NYM1.682.Sale • BOS1.973.Snell • TBR2.024.Bauer • CLE2.225.Nola • PHI2.236.Scherzer • WSN2.287.Verlander • HOU2.738.Kluber • CLE2.759.Foltynewicz • ATL2.7510.Cole • HOU2.86

Folty is 4th in the NL in ERA, as THWG stated. Ninth in the ML.
Unfortunately he doesn’t rank favorably in Win % or Victories.
The good ERA of 2.75, number of K’s vs. IP-perfect for closing.
If Folty is moved to the Bullpen the Braves need to trade for a top shelf starter

THWG

Helluva Engineer
1.deGrom • NYM1.682.Sale • BOS1.973.Snell • TBR2.024.Bauer • CLE2.225.Nola • PHI2.236.Scherzer • WSN2.287.Verlander • HOU2.738.Kluber • CLE2.759.Foltynewicz • ATL2.7510.Cole • HOU2.86

Folty is 4th in the NL in ERA, as THWG stated. Ninth in the ML.
Unfortunately he doesn’t rank favorably in Win % or Victories.
The good ERA of 2.75, number of K’s vs. IP-perfect for closing.
I just can't imagine putting our best starter in the pen, but I totally agree with you about Newk and I could see him getting very little time in the postseason. I like Newk, but we have to remember that this is really his 1st full season so he is still learning.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Nobody acquired after Sept. 1 is playoff eligible. Unfortunately, our young guys have twirled a lot of innings.

In a full season, and with a healthy back end of the bullpen, I agree on Folty. Reality has hit me(meaning I’m now in the corner of Folty is more like Smoltz, with all the innings thrown on the elbow joint)if we make the playoffs. I’d rather have him in the back end of the game, for the 8th and 9th innings. It might be our only chance for success because of that gaping hole of unreliable clutch relievers. Particularly with travel days. He could appear in several games, opposed to two starts being 10-12 innings in a series.

I think Sánchez can get us 6, maybe 7 and Gausman, Tehran can go longer. Guess you can say, I want to avoid middle relief. When you change pitchers too much in a game, chances are someone isn’t going to have it. Good hitting teams will whack us around.

They aren’t pushing Arodys, therefore Minter alone, might not be enough?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Every inning the pen has been in, has been an experience. Gas can Freeman sent me into panic mode with the aspirin bottle(a Goodys minute). Winkler has been a migraine in the waiting for the last two days. Even Carle had to strand runners.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
If Biddle does not get it right before October I would release him our bullpen stinks this year need quality bullpen help in the off-season

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
How in the name of Murphy’s Law or is it Murphy Oil with this WalMart Bullpen(sorry to insult that retailer), do you give up two runs in the ninth with the mistake of Biddle closing? And is anyone questioning Folty as a closer, now?

How many relievers did we use? Six used, in 4 innings. One always blows up. Count on it.