Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Starting pitcher Max Fried will likely return to the Braves on Sunday while reliever Darren O'Day wont return until sometime in August or September.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/7/24/20707990/atlanta-braves-news-max-fried-darren-oday-updates
I'll believe O’Dont All Day, when I see him pitch again. Most likely next year, for someone else willing to pay him another 9m. to sit.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/7/24/20708365/braves-select-jeremy-walker-option-wes-parsons

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Braves pitching is clearly below par. They will not win their division and may struggle to win a wild card spot. If they do make the playoffs, they won't go far. Good pitching is almost always what you see int he playoffs and it almost always beats good hitting, which is all the Braves have to offer right now.

For whatever reason, the braves young arms have simply all failed...repeatedly...in the MLB opportunities.

I do have one basic pet peeve though. Perhaps someone can explain it to me. It seems like a religion now in MLB that relievers can only pitch 1 inning. Why is that? I get it if you pinch-hit for the reliever (as happened last night with Sobotka), but many times, managers change pitchers for no seeming reason other than "it's the 8th inning so I go to my set-up guy" no matter what. Why?? Is it analytics? Or just stupidity?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Braves pitching is clearly below par. They will not win their division and may struggle to win a wild card spot. If they do make the playoffs, they won't go far. Good pitching is almost always what you see int he playoffs and it almost always beats good hitting, which is all the Braves have to offer right now.

For whatever reason, the braves young arms have simply all failed...repeatedly...in the MLB opportunities.

I do have one basic pet peeve though. Perhaps someone can explain it to me. It seems like a religion now in MLB that relievers can only pitch 1 inning. Why is that? I get it if you pinch-hit for the reliever (as happened last night with Sobotka), but many times, managers change pitchers for no seeming reason other than "it's the 8th inning so I go to my set-up guy" no matter what. Why?? Is it analytics? Or just stupidity?
I think the Braves will win the NL East but they may not go beyond the NL Divisional Series unless they make a trade for a starter or starters and a closer. The Braves may have the worst pitching staff for a Division winning team in the history of MLB.

Last edited:

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

I don’t agree with all of their young pitchers failing. Soroka and Fried have pitched very well this season and Newcomb has settled down and pitched well of late also. They still have some good arms in the upper minors that haven’t pitched in the Bigs yet.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I referenced Jeremy Walker replacing Wes Parsons at the top of this page. Once they most likely transfer Gohara to the 60 day later today, Walker will appear at Trust Park from Gwinnett County. He has been a multi-inning reliever with 69 2/3 innings from 26 appearances. A sub 3 era.

Sobotka has a 4.88 era in MLB this year, after a nice stint last year in Atlanta. The 13 ER surrendered in 24 innings this year with 12 walks, is not too impressive. Wilson, Wright, Touki have been inconsistent at best. Carle is still having problems in AAA. I do agree with you on Soroka, Fried. Also, Webb has been very good, and he’s still considered young in ML time.

I totally agree with the analytics being one of the reasons for juggling the bullpen. One thing they can’t ever explain to my tastes, are why we see so many pitchers in a game. Like last night, a guy or two will come in and just not have it during a certain game. When men are on base, there is no time or margin for error to discover what pitch is working and can they get it over.

The other day, Newk. pitched two good innings. I’m for letting him go three and not pitching for a couple days. I’d do that with Walker, Webb and FNS when we get a closer.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I referenced Jeremy Walker replacing Wes Parsons at the top of this page. Once they most likely transfer Gohara to the 60 day later today, Walker will appear at Trust Park from Gwinnett County. He has been a multi-inning reliever with 69 2/3 innings from 26 appearances. A sub 3 era.

Sobotka has a 4.88 era in MLB this year, after a nice stint last year in Atlanta. The 13 ER surrendered in 24 innings this year with 12 walks, is not too impressive. Wilson, Wright, Touki have been inconsistent at best. Carle is still having problems in AAA. I do agree with you on Soroka, Fried. Also, Webb has been very good, and he’s still considered young in ML time.

I totally agree with the analytics being one of the reasons for juggling the bullpen. One thing they can’t ever explain to my tastes, are why we see so many pitchers in a game. Like last night, a guy or two will come in and just not have it during a certain game. When men are on base, there is no time or margin for error to discover what pitch is working and can they get it over.

The other day, Newk. pitched two good innings. I’m for letting him go three and not pitching for a couple days. I’d do that with Walker, Webb and FNS when we get a closer.
I can't wait to see what Jeremy Walker can do:cool:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I can't wait to see what Jeremy Walker can do:cool:
He throws strikes and ground ball outs, which should fare well in Trust Park RF. Like 1 walk every 9 innings. Seems to be better in that second frame each outing. MWBATL pointed the need for multi-inning use guys, now if Snitker & Kranitz will oblige. I truly believe Webb, Newk., Tomlin, Swarzak could all pitch the 7th and 8th. FNS was playing long man until we were forced to close him. Minter needs to go to the same shrink as Folty.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/spo...cle_a5160080-2de6-59ce-ba50-78bca1e0be74.html

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
He throws strikes and ground ball outs, which should fare well in Trust Park RF. Like 1 walk every 9 innings. Seems to be better in that second frame each outing. MWBATL pointed the need for multi-inning use guys, now if Snitker & Kranitz will oblige. I truly believe Webb, Newk., Tomlin, Swarzak could all pitch the 7th and 8th. FNS was playing long man until we were forced to close him. Minter needs to go to the same shrink as Folty.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/spo...cle_a5160080-2de6-59ce-ba50-78bca1e0be74.html
The Braves need to trade Mike Foltynewicz and AJ Minter for whatever they can get for them:cigar:

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Here are the Royals and Braves lineups for tonight's game

Kansas City Royals

Whit Merrifield 2B
Alex Gordon LF
Hunter Dozier 3B
Jorge Soler RF
Cheslor Cuthbert 3B
Bubba Starling CF
Nicky Lopez 2B
Meibrys Viloria C