Atlanta Braves News

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
It’s obvious we have a good offensive team. The bullpen just isn’t there and our starting pitching is just dependent on some of the young arms actually working out. We really could use a DeGrom/Kershaw/Verlander type ace to mentor them. Hopefully we are still in the mix at the deadline and the front office grows a pair and pulls the trigger on a couple trades that push us back past the Phils.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
It’s obvious we have a good offensive team. The bullpen just isn’t there and our starting pitching is just dependent on some of the young arms actually working out. We really could use a DeGrom/Kershaw/Verlander type ace to mentor them. Hopefully we are still in the mix at the deadline and the front office grows a pair and pulls the trigger on a couple trades that push us back past the Phils.
Our entire team and success is dependent on young guys developing into stars. This ownership and front office has shown that they have no interest in paying market price for current major league players that are difference makers.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Not acquiring DeGrom last year when the Mets were sinking to under the sink and the Realmuto auction in the off-season, were “tight” no trades by the Bravos.

Last edited:

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a lot of faith in AA’s decisions in the front office moves. That being said, he is severely hamstring by Liberty media and I can’t blame him or snit for our pen. Until they start treating us like the big market team that we are, we won’t be able to get the big FA’s we need. Building through the farm is great and very commendable, and also endears those players to our fans, but it takes time. That’s what we are seeing now. Maybe we need to start promoting some of the young potential starters to short relievers. Just a suggestion. Otherwise it will be a long season. I know we are waiting on minter, viz and oday to get healthy, but we can’t gwt a month into this thing before we figure out that a 9.00 team era isn’t good enough. Especially while our offense is averaging 5 runs per game. I know, we have 160 games left. Just tired of the pen weighing us down.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
We made no off-season moves in regards to the bullpen, other than subtracting Brach and Freeman. O’Day was already on the roster previously, so I don’t think he should be counted.

Losing Sanchez as a starter was the only major move with pitching either way. He was arguably our #2 or 3 guy last year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What I don't get with the pen is why Jackson was kept up with the team while Winkler was sent down. Nobody wants Luke Jackson so it doesn't matter if he is out of options.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Camargo got some time at 3B. Many of you know, I campaigned for leaving him there before we spent 23 m. on Donaldson(who may work out this year, however we have bigger needs not addressed). The bullpen, a #1 or 2 starter, catcher, RF.

Jake walked 6 last night and held us to one measly run in 6 frames. Tossed over 100 pitches. The Braves hit .257 last year. Realmuto, Harper, Corbin, Diaz, were all available. Even Harp. could have fit in our payroll if we were going to toss crazy money at J.D. It’s only 3 out of 162, although even with the injured players back-I don’t see the other holes filled. I’m not blaming the G.M. by himself, either!

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
The Braves and the Cubs play the first regular season game at Suntrust Park today which will be televised on ESPN at 6:10 pm. The starting pitcher for the Braves will be Sean Newcomb and the starting pitcher for the Cubs will be Kyle Hendricks.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Very sobering start to the season ...
The bullpen after 3-games has the 2nd worst ERA in the league
Donaldson, our big off-season acquisition is 1-11, batting 2nd in the lineup ahead of Freddie who is incidentally leading the league in hitting ??
Not sure the number of walks and homers, I lost count
Very frustrating to watch ... is Ted Turner still around, maybe someone can give him a call and scream HELP !!! ... at least Ted is a hometown guy.
On top of all else I read last week that Swanson, Acuna and Albies are among the players making the least salaries in the league ... what's going to happen down the road on that ???

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Jake, I hope Glavine and his group can buy the team. He has expressed an avid interest.

Mike, Isn’t that game time an hour later here in Atlanta? That might be a Chicago 6:10 p.m. The game is an “out of market” for ESPN viewers.