Athletic Director's Update

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
We sound like a girl in an abusive relationship making excuses for the abusive boyfriend and why she stays with him even though he treats her like **** because she feels like she can’t do any better. One day he is going to be man we want him to be.
Certainly a different viewpoint, but right on target! Johnson is the abusive boyfriend, our fans and some posters are the girl!She says "but if I leave him what if I can't find another boyfriend? Her smart friends say "you will,you will".

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with the above, but will emphasize that Peterson is a big inhibitor of moving our teams forward. He could do much more to see that our football program is better. I will also point out that GTAA lacks good marketing people and tends to have a proudful/elitist attitude. We do not need that to reach players, supporters and fans.

I think Peterson and the Hill are the biggest problems. From my Alumni Association interactions where I've been a club officer, I think The Hill is totally focused on academics. The keep football around to patronize the rich alumni that they are looking to get bequests from. Several times a year my wife and I are contacted to go to lunch with traveling GTAA people. I know it is for our magnetic personalities. (tic)

Todd Stansbury is doing a great job IMHO. I hope he doesn't give up.

Never said there are disincentives.... If we win 6 games this year and go to a bowl.. CPJ is safe and will get a bonus...

What I am saying is that anything less than 6 wins that is where the new contract allows the AD to exercise the new options if he so chooses.... (buyout, retirement options that are friendly to GTAA)

Is there a link where we can see exactly what you are talking about? The only disincentive I remember is not getting incentives but I haven't read the contract in years.

BTW, @THWG post about 100 posts ago was spot on.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
What O would you like to see? Honest question not trolling.
One that can allow you to come back even though you’re 2 scores down, one that has a 2 min offense , one where defenses have to worry about you doing more than one thing , one that doesn’t get your qb hit every play , one that doesn’t have undersized linemen , one that attracts high school talent

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think Peterson and the Hill are the biggest problems. From my Alumni Association interactions where I've been a club officer, I think The Hill is totally focused on academics. The keep football around to patronize the rich alumni that they are looking to get bequests from. Several times a year my wife and I are contacted to go to lunch with traveling GTAA people. I know it is for our magnetic personalities. (tic)

Is there a link where we can see exactly what you are talking about? The only disincentive I remember is not getting incentives but I haven't read the contract in years.

I agree +100000000000000000000 What is the reason things won't change and Tech is a good job for a head Coach as of now.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We sound like a girl in an abusive relationship making excuses for the abusive boyfriend and why she stays with him even though he treats her like **** because she feels like she can’t do any better. One day he is going to be man we want him to be.
We sound more like a bunch of whiny spoiled bitches who think their **** doesn’t stink. Well Cinderella, someone only hands you the glass slipper you’ve been dreaming about in the movies. If we want to win, the leadership had better get committed & start working on a strategy to get us there.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Now, you can counter with, “getting rid of this O would allow us to recruit better talent”. That may very well be the case, but then we are playing the same game as everyone else with incrementally better talent (for us) versus still superior talent for them. I think that’s a losing formula for a school like GT.

I wish more people truly understood this concept. Well stated.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’ve had a few bad interactions with GT “fans” in the past few years. My wife said she is kind of surprised at the way some of these folks behave and she’s not really enjoying going to the games anymore. During the Clemson game, a guy behind us was tickling his kid and the kid was kicking my wife in the back every time he did. My wife told me that the guy’s wife told him to stop tickling the kid but he never did and my wife kept getting kicked. I was oblivious to what was going on because I was watching the game. Also, a guy in the same group repeatedly used a slur regarding the male cheerleader. Unfortunately, my wife didn’t tell me about the kicking until after the game because of the way I became unhinged on a group of GT fans in Dublin for their crappy behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may not want to go to Athens this year because I can almost guarantee a lot of slurs will be thrown around there about our male dance team member. Are we really starting to become more like mutts?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with your assessment that changing the head coach won’t change recruiting. I recognize we have some inherent limitations but CPJ isn’t exactly an exciting relatable guy for younger kids. If we got a younger guy in here that put a bigger emphasis on recruiting we might get better results without changing much else.

Look at UGA. Richt was able to recruit top 15 each year but with changing nothing but head coaches they now recruit in the top 3.

The head man does impact recruiting as much as some like to think they don’t.
UGa has absolutely no other recruiting restrictions. GT has a bevy of them (admissions, limited curriculum, high standards once you are in school, etc). I believe all those restrictions severely limit coaches who might otherwise be great recruiters. Ex: Basketball....Pastner came here with the reputation as being a top-notch recruiter but has yet to really bring in the basketball equivalent of a 5 star.

I think you are over-stating the impact (badly) that a new coach might make.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If we rewind the clock just a decade, GT was able to bring in enough talent to avoid losing seasons and go to bow; games annually playing essentially the same schedule. We had the same issues with academics and majors as we do now. Honestly, if CCG had found 1 QB and/or OC, I felt like we were much closer to breaking through to that proverbial "next level" than we currently are.

I really agree with this (especially the bolded part). We had guys who went on and played at the next level back then....guys like Philip Wheeler and Morgan Burnett and Derrick Morgan and the like. Defensively, you need athleticism to be good. Schemes don't really fool people much on defense. Speed and strength work well though. We didn't have depth, but we definitely had some genuine talent compared to today.

I love the guys who come to play for GT. This is NOT meant as a knock on them. But I just don't see the NFL talent on defense especially anymore.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You may not want to go to Athens this year because I can almost guarantee a lot of slurs will be thrown around there about our male dance team member. Are we really starting to become more like mutts?
You should have heard what the entire LSU Student Section was chanting late int he 4th Quarter at the UGa folks.......I thought it was funny (because I was rooting for LSU) but it was certainly not polite.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

If the school has requirments (academic rigor and limited course selection), I think the ADMIN should do more than not be a problem. Where do they go the extra mile?

I have 50 years of giving to AA, but cut it down to token in 14 after I was turned off by the AA at ACCCG and orange bowl.
Time for a change in rest of gt leadership. The un watched spending in the research dept could cause the BOR to adjust how the university system allows gt to supervise and therefore profit from that cash cow.
How is AA and hill helping?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If the school has requirments (academic rigor and limited course selection), I think the ADMIN should do more than not be a problem. Where do they go the extra mile?

I have 50 years of giving to AA, but cut it down to token in 14 after I was turned off by the AA at ACCCG and orange bowl.
Time for a change in rest of gt leadership. The un watched spending in the research dept could cause the BOR to adjust how the university system allows gt to supervise and therefore profit from that cash cow.
How is AA and hill helping?

It’s ironic. Schools are jumping into football (S Alabama, KSU, UAB, etc) to increase visibility ... and Tech could care less.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It’s ironic. Schools are jumping into football (S Alabama, KSU, UAB, etc) to increase visibility ... and Tech could care less.
To be fair, neither does Harvard. If you have all the money you need and tons of highly qualified applicants, most academic types don't see any benefit to the athletics program at all....

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, neither does Harvard. If you have all the money you need and tons of highly qualified applicants, most academic types don't see any benefit to the athletics program at all....

This, I think, is the core issue. The admin sees no advantage in it. And gives it no importance.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Nice thoughtful response.

What’s your plan?

I would have thought the exclamation point was a sufficient sarcasm signal, but apparently not. The “real” plan is for the football program to recruit better, coach better, scheme better and play better. I have to rely upon someone like TStan to figure out how to do all of that and, if he does, I think the fans, monetary support and happiness on this board will follow.