Athletic Director's Update

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
NCST is the little brother in North Carolina. We don’t recruit at their level. We can find tons of examples of universities that aren’t the favorite pet of the governor that recruit better than we do..

Again, that’s another unfair comparison. I would love for GT to have N.C. State’s situation to recruit to, meaning their curriculum and entrance requirements. I think we would compete for the ACC pretty much every year with that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder how CPJ would take it if Tstan told him to hire a spread-option offensive Coord for next season?

Here is what I have seen...when the boss starts telling you what to do and how to do it instead of just providing goals and objectives, you are a dead man walking. It just doesn't work out 99% of the time. I would imagine Paul and Todd understand this so I doubt it will come to this. Tstan will either fire him or Paul will resign. I have seen managers who give ultimatums such as you describe use as a tool to force someone to leave in lieu of firing. Again, I think these guys get along well and have respect for each other so I don't see this situation playing out like this.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
GT is in a town with many alternatives. GT needs to be able to grow its fan base, both so it can grow its revenue stream, but also so it can make the home stadium an electric and exciting place to play. The way things have been going the last 4 years, the opposite is happening. Not only are we NOT attracting the sidewalk college fans who might otherwise take an interest and become GT fans, we are in fact, slowly losing longtime fans like me. Many simply decide they won't go anywhere. A smaller number decide they have a rooting interest with other teams (in my case, where I grew up).

GT needs to take a serious and deep look at itself. Four new guys helping with recruiting won't turn this around. Firing CPJ won't turn this around. Even Stansbury cannot solve this by himself. He is doing the right things in trying to raise much more serious money, but in fact until I see GT address its fundamental issues, I am not willing to commit serious money to this program. GT now must prove to me that it is serious about playing big boy football, and if it is not willing to do that...fine. But don't expect me to contribute to a program that is saying we will not compete at the highest levels because "we're different". Join Navy's conference and have fun. Continue down this path and drive away fans like me.

Didn't agree with everything you said, but +100 these last two paragraphs.

His letter is already very dated "Coach Johnson is a fighter and he has proven time and again that he can mold a group of young men that can fight above their weight class. I am confident that he and his team have a lot of fight left in them, to go along with a lot of ability and a lot of football still left to play." Doesn't hold water after a blowout by Duke.

I'm reminded of when/why DRad finally decided to fire CCG. From the AP story on the firing:

"The 55-year-old Gailey had lost support among the fan base, which made fundraising more difficult, and he wasn't the sort of dynamic personality who could help the Yellow Jackets make a name in the crowded Atlanta sports scene.

"There's people who enjoy doing that part of the business of being a head coach, and some that don't. As far as Xs and Os, Chan is a very good coach. But there's more to it now. College football is more than just Xs and Os, especially in the competitive market where we are.""​

TStan is going to have an increasingly hard time with the business side. He's going to find himself in a Chinese Finger trap. Keeping CPJ is going to make fundraising really hard. Firing CPJ will cost money he doesn't have. Short of firing CPJ, what can he do to excite the fans?

I just can't think of anything else big enough TStan can do to convince us we're making progress and need to give more money. He asked for time and money last year, he got it.The CNW hire, Adidas deal, locker room bought a little time last year. But we needed to see progress and instead we've gotten a regression in performance. I like CPJ and what he did his first 6 years. I think firing the head coach should be the last fix you try, because: Tennessee. But what else can we do at this point?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That has already happened... the new contract basically says CPJ is safe with 6 wins and a bowl game.... less than 6 and then the scenarios come in.... CPJ retires, fired get a another year....

Please elaborate on this. I know the new contract had incentives for making a bowl, etc. I didn't know it had disincentives for not making a bowl, which seems to be what you're saying(?)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm reminded of when/why DRad finally decided to fire CCG. From the AP story on the firing:

"The 55-year-old Gailey had lost support among the fan base, which made fundraising more difficult, and he wasn't the sort of dynamic personality who could help the Yellow Jackets make a name in the crowded Atlanta sports scene.

"There's people who enjoy doing that part of the business of being a head coach, and some that don't. As far as Xs and Os, Chan is a very good coach. But there's more to it now. College football is more than just Xs and Os, especially in the competitive market where we are.""​

Interestingly enough, those two quotes about CCG seem to be 100% applicable to CPJ and his situation. There are cases where the AD doesn't really make the decision...the fan base does. I think we are at this point now with Coach Johnson.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Please elaborate on this. I know the new contract had incentives for making a bowl, etc. I didn't know it had disincentives for not making a bowl, which seems to be what you're saying(?)
Never said there are disincentives.... If we win 6 games this year and go to a bowl.. CPJ is safe and will get a bonus...

What I am saying is that anything less than 6 wins that is where the new contract allows the AD to exercise the new options if he so chooses.... (buyout, retirement options that are friendly to GTAA)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Never said there are disincentives.... If we win 6 games this year and go to a bowl.. CPJ is safe and will get a bonus...

What I am saying is that anything less than 6 wins that is where the new contract allows the AD to exercise the new options if he so chooses.... (buyout, retirement options that are friendly to GTAA)
Don't think that is the case now. Hate it I like him but something just ain't right.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Since we have so many open seats, maybe bring back the $99 season tickets. I don’t buy season tickets due to cost. I go to one or two games per year, but if they were cheaper, I would go to most games... while there, I buy concessions and make noise...

I am frustrated with cpj,but will be a tech fan until I am dead. Sidewalk fan since the mid-80’s.
Tickets can be has for about $10 on the secondary market if not free from a STH looking to fill their seats at the last minute.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
He said he w

To make statements like “LSU plays big boy football” and “LSU can match Uga physically” is just silly.

First of all, we never have, and never will, recruit on the level of State U’s like LSU and Uga. The overall talent level discrepancy between us and them has always been pretty wide.
I think a change is coming. I’m not calling for it, but I think it’s coming. I just don’t buy into this blaming the x’s and o’s of this offense.
Dude (or dudette, whatever the case might be), did you not read my post in full? While I have serious issues with offense, I believe I made it quite clear that GT’s problems go far beyond the x’s And o’s.......

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Dude (or dudette, whatever the case might be), did you not read my post in full? While I have serious issues with offense, I believe I made it quite clear that GT’s problems go far beyond the x’s And o’s.......

You said LSU “plays big boy football” and you specifically referenced balance and passing. So, what were you referring to there?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Didn't agree with everything you said, but +100 these last two paragraphs.

His letter is already very dated "Coach Johnson is a fighter and he has proven time and again that he can mold a group of young men that can fight above their weight class. I am confident that he and his team have a lot of fight left in them, to go along with a lot of ability and a lot of football still left to play." Doesn't hold water after a blowout by Duke.

TStan is going to have an increasingly hard time with the business side. He's going to find himself in a Chinese Finger trap. Keeping CPJ is going to make fundraising really hard. Firing CPJ will cost money he doesn't have. Short of firing CPJ, what can he do to excite the fans?

I just can't think of anything else big enough TStan can do to convince us we're making progress and need to give more money. He asked for time and money last year, he got it.The CNW hire, Adidas deal, locker room bought a little time last year. But we needed to see progress and instead we've gotten a regression in performance. I like CPJ and what he did his first 6 years. I think firing the head coach should be the last fix you try, because: Tennessee. But what else can we do at this point?

The irony is this part: "There's people who enjoy doing that part of the business of being a head coach, and some that don't. As far as Xs and Os, Chan is a very good coach. But there's more to it now. College football is more than just Xs and Os, especially in the competitive market where we are."

GT has come full circle.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You said LSU “plays big boy football” and you specifically referenced balance and passing. So, what were you referring to there?
I was referencing the fact that they can recruit the physical athletes that we cannot (hence play “big boy” football), AND that we have no effective passing threat. I went on to say that changing the head coach would not solve our most basic issue (recruiting)

RiseUpATL

Banned
I was referencing the fact that they can recruit the physical athletes that we cannot (hence play “big boy” football), AND that we have no effective passing threat. I went on to say that changing the head coach would not solve our most basic issue (recruiting)

I disagree with your assessment that changing the head coach won’t change recruiting. I recognize we have some inherent limitations but CPJ isn’t exactly an exciting relatable guy for younger kids. If we got a younger guy in here that put a bigger emphasis on recruiting we might get better results without changing much else.

Look at UGA. Richt was able to recruit top 15 each year but with changing nothing but head coaches they now recruit in the top 3.

The head man does impact recruiting as much as some like to think they don’t.

slugboy

Staff member
Again, that’s another unfair comparison. I would love for GT to have N.C. State’s situation to recruit to, meaning their curriculum and entrance requirements. I think we would compete for the ACC pretty much every year with that.

Ok, you’re totally moving the goalposts here. First, we couldn’t recruit at the level of LSU and UGA. Now, we can’t recruit at the level of lesser tier schools. I’d say UNC and NCST and UVA are recruiting at a third tier level, and your quote says even that is unrealistic for us.

And I don’t think it’s an unfair comparison. UNC makes fun of NCST as the “Ag” school and a bunch of rednecks. They still recruit well. No one goes to UVA games, but I guess that’s an unfair comparison too.

But, either in terms of recruiting or player development, we aren’t putting as many players in the NFL as we did under Gailey. That’s comparing us against not very good us. With the same academic requirements. And we’ve had a stable offensive system for 11 years. That’s enough time to work out solutions to your problems. Why did we have inconsistencies on offense the last few years?

CPJ pulled an upperclassman because he said the player was making the wrong calls on offense. Should that be happening in a scheme that’s been in place for 11 years with basically the same coaches?

Where is the player development? Or is he putting an unrealistic expectation on the player? It keeps happening, so it’s got to be one of those.

Jim Grobe developed solid lines at Wake Forest by using a lot of red shirting. Wake would trade our recruiting issues for theirs in a heartbeat, but a smart coach made things work.

Iowa State is playing well. I can’t believe we don’t have a better recruiting pitch than they do. Do I have to list 30 schools playing better than we are that aren’t factories to find one that you think we should recruit or develop better than?

It’s one thing to have some recruiting disadvantages (and no university is perfect, so all schools have some disadvantages and advantages). Eleven years is enough time to develop relationships and a pipeline of players to fit your system.

If you’re a high school coach, you want your kids on scholarship. Most don’t. Where are the coaches that are getting their players ready for Tech?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk